STANDINGS AT THE 1/3 MARK

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: STANDINGS AT THE 1/3 MARK

Postby BirdsEyeView » January 17th, 2017, 11:52 am

glm38 wrote:
Old School MVC wrote:MSU has impressed me both times I have seen them, but their record confuses me. Of all the teams I have seen, they are the 3rd best, but their record does not show it. I will still pick them 3rd, but SIU may have something to say about that.

One word easy explanation : COACHING.

We have the talent and depth to play with anyone. And Alize Johnson is the real deal. I don't think I would trade him for any other player in the conference. But our offensive and defensive execution is pathetic at times. That's on the HC.

Suck with Lusk? New slogan to sell tix?

You wouldn't trade him for McIntosh? Johnson did not impress me at all versus ISUr.
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Wufan » January 17th, 2017, 12:32 pm

BirdsEyeView wrote:
glm38 wrote:
Old School MVC wrote:MSU has impressed me both times I have seen them, but their record confuses me. Of all the teams I have seen, they are the 3rd best, but their record does not show it. I will still pick them 3rd, but SIU may have something to say about that.

We have the talent and depth to play with anyone. And Alize Johnson is the real deal. I don't think I would trade him for any other player in the conference. But our offensive and defensive execution is pathetic at times. That's on the HC.

You wouldn't trade him for McIntosh? Johnson did not impress me at all versus ISUr.

Whether on not McIntosh is a better player than Johnson is a different argument than if you would trade for him.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby glm38 » January 17th, 2017, 2:39 pm

BirdsEyeView wrote:
glm38 wrote:

McIntosh is really good but no I wouldn't trade Johnson for him. Johnson is one of the most versatile players I've ever seen. Best rebounder in the conference, handles the ball like a guard, good shooter out to 3 point range, good post up game, and a good passer. The only thing he doesn't really do well is shoot free throws. He didn't have a great game against ISUR due to foul trouble if I'm remembering right.
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Old School MVC » January 17th, 2017, 3:02 pm

I would take McIntosh, but Johnson is not far behind. They both are Studs for the Valley! And we will all get to see them one more year.
Old School MVC
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby BirdsEyeView » January 17th, 2017, 3:11 pm

glm38 wrote:
McIntosh is really good but no I wouldn't trade Johnson for him. Johnson is one of the most versatile players I've ever seen. Best rebounder in the conference, handles the ball like a guard, good shooter out to 3 point range, good post up game, and a good passer. The only thing he doesn't really do well is shoot free throws. He didn't have a great game against ISUR due to foul trouble if I'm remembering right.

He was not in foul trouble in the 2nd half. You were shooting lights out from three and he was benched in the 2nd half as a non-factor.

Definitely the best rebounder. However, a worse ball handler than McIntosh (although pretty spectacular for his size regardless).
Johnson - 37% 3pfg
McIntosh - 40% 3pfg

Both are very good in the post. McIntosh has a better mid-range game.

Johnson - 56% ft
McIntosh - 77% ft

Both are Juniors.

It's a tough call. You go with your guy. I'll stick with mine.
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BirdsEyeView » January 17th, 2017, 3:18 pm

Wufan wrote:
BirdsEyeView wrote:

Whether on not McIntosh is a better player than Johnson is a different argument than if you would trade for him.

What do you mean? Same graduating class. Nearly the same position...McIntosh can play #1-#4

So, with those being rather equal...now, you are arguing value over replacement player or value added/lost in trading the two players. If Alize Johnson is on ISUr and McIntosh is on MSU. How much better or worse is either team?
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby glm38 » January 17th, 2017, 3:54 pm

BirdsEyeView wrote:
glm38 wrote:

He was not in foul trouble in the 2nd half. You were shooting lights out from three and he was benched in the 2nd half as a non-factor.

Definitely the best rebounder. However, a worse ball handler than McIntosh (although pretty spectacular for his size regardless).
Johnson - 37% 3pfg
McIntosh - 40% 3pfg

Johnson - 56% ft
McIntosh - 77% ft

Both are Juniors.

I looked back and Johnson was in foul trouble. Sort of. He picked up 2 fouls in the first half and Lusk immediately pulled him. And then didn't start him in the 2nd half for fear of him getting his 3rd . I know that makes no sense but he's done that several times with Alize and other players. It's maddening.
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Redhawk » January 17th, 2017, 4:41 pm

glm38 wrote:
BirdsEyeView wrote:
glm38 wrote:

Johnson - 37% 3pfg
McIntosh - 40% 3pfg

Johnson - 56% ft
McIntosh - 77% ft

Both are Juniors.

I looked back and Johnson was in foul trouble. Sort of. He picked up 2 fouls in the first half and Lusk immediately pulled him. And then didn't start him in the 2nd half for fear of him getting his 3rd . I know that makes no sense but he's done that several times with Alize and other players. It's maddening.

McIntosh actually fouled out while Johnson finished with 2 fouls so the "foul trouble" excuse doesn't hold up.
Both McIntosh and Hawkins outplayed Johnson that night!
Redhawk
All MVC
All MVC

Postby glm38 » January 17th, 2017, 5:14 pm

Red hawk I don't think you are following me. With 2 fouls he wasn't really in foul trouble. But in Lusk's mind he was. In the post game interview he (Lusk) said the 2 fouls are why he pulled him and why he didn't start him in the second half. So his minutes were very much curtailed by this real or imaginary foul trouble. He only played 21 minutes. He had 7 points and 10 boards in that timeframe which is decent but far from his best.

Also in the post game interview when our HC was asked Why he didn't re insert Alize into the lineup down the stretch with the game on the line Lusk said he "forgot about him". Forgot about your best player? Are you kidding me??
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby bleach » January 17th, 2017, 6:16 pm

Blers wrote:
As much as I would love to hand Aundre Jackson Newcomer of the year, I just cant. Johnson blew me away. He was held in check most of the first half, but he's just a monster on the boards. Super high motor. What a find.

Don't you mean what a waste? All that talent sits on the bench A LOT.
bleach
All MVC
All MVC

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball