Road Warriors

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Road Warriors

Postby Singeril » January 18th, 2017, 12:42 pm

But there IS a truth to it being the "Super Bowl" when WSU comes to town. Attendance is much higher, for the most part, when WSU is in town and playing in the home team's gym. That helps with school pride, concessions, etc. It's the best financial night of the season for many, if not all, Valley teams. WSU has been a financial boon to schools over the past few years..and not just because of their shared post season success. Check the average home attendance of each Valley team and then check what the attendance is for each team, at home, against WSU.
Singeril
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Cdizzle » January 18th, 2017, 12:51 pm

BirdsEyeView wrote:
Cdizzle wrote:
BirdsEyeView wrote:
There is a history of you and segments of your fan base calling WSU road games the other team's "Super Bowl" (and in the past 3 years that was mostly accurate).

It was, and is still, completely accurate.

There's nothing really wrong with it. And I don't want to trade places with anyone. But it's the reality. And having big games between teams that are actually contending for the league title is a good thing, not a bad thing. The difference is that it's from everyone, regardless of how terrible their season is going.

Agreed, except it didn't seem like last night was a very packed crowd at the Ford Center in Evansville. Hence why I brought it up. Last year, they sold that place out (or close to it) and last night not so much.

Yeah, it definitely sounded like a morgue in there. Perhaps there were lots of people there but they were all just being quiet so the players could hear the verbal shot-clock countdowns....

Pro-tip: Don't leave your drink next to the timing box on the score-table. Sheesh.

The other important thing to note is that the "Super Bowl" comments don't just refer to the fan bases. It applies to the players and coaches as well.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BirdsEyeView » January 18th, 2017, 12:52 pm

Singeril wrote:But there IS a truth to it being the "Super Bowl" when WSU comes to town. Attendance is much higher, for the most part, when WSU is in town and playing in the home team's gym. That helps with school pride, concessions, etc. It's the best financial night of the season for many, if not all, Valley teams. WSU has been a financial boon to schools over the past few years..and not just because of their shared post season success. Check the average home attendance of each Valley team and then check what the attendance is for each team, at home, against WSU.

I'm not arguing this at ALL! It is most teams Super Bowl, there is no denying it (fans, players, coaches).

HOWEVER...

Last night, I stated that it didn't seem like UE's "Super Bowl" for whatever reason. They had 4,019 fans in attendance for a stadium that holds 10,000....hardly a Super Bowl, which is why I brought it up. The only reason it was said at all.
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby specialsauce » January 18th, 2017, 1:12 pm

But you're missing the point. It's all relative.

Where does that 4019 rank in other games played this year? I'm guessing it's toward the top.
specialsauce
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby BirdsEyeView » January 18th, 2017, 1:18 pm

specialsauce wrote:But you're missing the point. It's all relative.

Where does that 4019 rank in other games played this year? I'm guessing it's toward the top.

4,803 on Saturday versus SIU

SIU > WSU in fan attendance at UE this season
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby shocktheheart » January 18th, 2017, 1:21 pm

Ranks 4th out of seven games
“I’m gonna punch you in the ovary, that’s what I’m gonna do. A straight shot, right to the babymaker.”
shocktheheart
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby shocktheheart » January 18th, 2017, 1:23 pm

What I thought was a little strange is ISUR not selling out for the WSU game. Has to be the biggest game in years with first place on the line. Only 89% capacity with 9078 fans.
“I’m gonna punch you in the ovary, that’s what I’m gonna do. A straight shot, right to the babymaker.”
shocktheheart
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BirdsEyeView » January 18th, 2017, 1:24 pm

shocktheheart wrote:

Ranks 4th out of seven games

:+1:

Hence my comment yesterday on the Game 7 thread. Not provoking anyone, just stating an observation.
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BirdsEyeView » January 18th, 2017, 1:25 pm

shocktheheart wrote:What I thought was a little strange is ISUR not selling out for the WSU game. Has to be the biggest game in years with first place on the line. Only 89% capacity with 9078 fans.

Everyone was freaking out about ice, which never really happened.

Also, our town sucks for a fan base.
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby shocktheheart » January 18th, 2017, 1:27 pm

BirdsEyeView wrote:
shocktheheart wrote:What I thought was a little strange is ISUR not selling out for the WSU game. Has to be the biggest game in years with first place on the line. Only 89% capacity with 9078 fans.

Everyone was freaking out about ice, which never really happened.

Also, our town sucks for a fan base.

Good honest answer. Wichita was freaking out about the ice, but it seems no matter the weather Koch Arena will be filled.
shocktheheart
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball