2017 Bracketology

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: 2017 Bracketology

Postby squirrel » January 23rd, 2017, 8:02 am

TheObserver wrote:How many times has a team gone undefeated in this league? Stating it's a "real possibility" for any team to do so is quite a stretch, especially only 8 games in, and especially for a team that's been inconsistent, at best, over the course of their lifetime in this conference.

The last 3 occurrences were all in the "epic" category:

2014-15 Shockers
1985-86 Braves
1978-79 Sycamores
squirrel
All MVC
All MVC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Redbirdgrad » January 23rd, 2017, 8:50 am

18-0 isn't happening.
Redbirdgrad
All MVC
All MVC

Postby BCPanther » January 23rd, 2017, 9:16 am

SIU got to 17-0 in 2004 and got beat in Cedar Falls on the last night of the year when we used to play that last game on the Monday before Arch Madness.
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BirdsEyeView » January 23rd, 2017, 9:45 am

BCPanther wrote:SIU got to 17-0 in 2004 and got beat in Cedar Falls on the last night of the year when we used to play that last game on the Monday before Arch Madness.

I remember those days. Why did they do that...play on Mondays?
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Cdizzle » January 23rd, 2017, 9:56 am

BirdsEyeView wrote:
BCPanther wrote:SIU got to 17-0 in 2004 and got beat in Cedar Falls on the last night of the year when we used to play that last game on the Monday before Arch Madness.

When did the league move the conference tourney to Thurs-Sun? Was Fri-Mon before that. So playing on the Monday before that was a way to stretch the length of the regular season by 1 day. Which is a good thing.

I still think the Valley needs to move the conference tourney to the next weekend. This would allow for a lot more scheduling options, including just extending conference season 1 week and spreading out games, allowing 1 weekend off in conference to try to get marquee non-conference games, or even just keeping the same schedule but starting it a week later therefore adding more potential dates in the non-con to find good match-ups.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Stickboy46 » January 23rd, 2017, 9:59 am

Cdizzle wrote:
BirdsEyeView wrote:

When did the league move the conference tourney to Thurs-Sun? Was Fri-Mon before that. So playing on the Monday before that was a way to stretch the length of the regular season by 1 day. Which is a good thing.

I still think the Valley needs to move the conference tourney to the next weekend. This would allow for a lot more scheduling options, including just extending conference season 1 week and spreading out games, allowing 1 weekend off in conference to try to get marquee non-conference games, or even just keeping the same schedule but starting it a week later therefore adding more potential dates in the non-con to find good match-ups.

They don't want to compete for TV time with the big conference tourneys.
Stickboy46
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Cdizzle » January 23rd, 2017, 10:11 am

I understand why they say they do it this way. But the TV time/money isn't helping. I can't believe we couldn't break even on that by having another week to schedule regular season games around TV times. And if TV is going to cut away from the championship game cause the league has no balls anyway....

Also having your Valley 'bubble' team sit around for a week while Syracuse gets to 18 wins is killing at-large chances/seeds.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BirdsEyeView » January 23rd, 2017, 10:15 am

Stickboy46 wrote:
Cdizzle wrote:
BirdsEyeView wrote:I remember those days. Why did they do that...play on Mondays?

They don't want to compete for TV time with the big conference tourneys.

Oh yes, I remember the vaunted Monday finals games. That was annoying. I'd come down Friday-Sunday. Go home for school on Monday, then go back to STL (when ISUr made the finals in the late 90s) after school on Monday for the finals....just to get home at 1am.

You do not want to push it back a week, although I get the idea. The recency effect hurts our at large team's chances as we don't play for a week. The eye test gets forgetful as the committee starts to watch the Power 5 teams that went 7-11 in conference have a randomly decent conference tourney just to sneak into the field. Very frustrating.
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Cdizzle » January 23rd, 2017, 10:20 am

BirdsEyeView wrote:You do not want to push it back a week, although I get the idea. The recency effect hurts our at large team's chances as we don't play for a week. The eye test gets forgetful as the committee starts to watch the Power 5 teams that went 7-11 in conference have a randomly decent conference tourney just to sneak into the field. Very frustrating.

Why not? Why play a compressed schedule compared to other teams in the country? You say we shouldn't do it, but then agree with my points.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BirdsEyeView » January 23rd, 2017, 10:26 am

Cdizzle wrote:
BirdsEyeView wrote:You do not want to push it back a week, although I get the idea. The recency effect hurts our at large team's chances as we don't play for a week. The eye test gets forgetful as the committee starts to watch the Power 5 teams that went 7-11 in conference have a randomly decent conference tourney just to sneak into the field. Very frustrating.

Why not? Why play a compressed schedule compared to other teams in the country? You say we shouldn't do it, but then agree with my points.

Only due to CBS visibility for the finals. That's why I said no. If we can keep that game on the schedule the following weekend...then absolutely!
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball