If Wichita Left.... (RPI Talk)

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: If Wichita Left.... (RPI Talk)

Postby uniftw » April 4th, 2017, 12:24 pm

Is there a site where I can "build" a conference for these RPI comparisons. I know rpiforcast lets me add/drop a handful of games but is there a program to "build" entire conferences and sim what the RPI would be?
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer
 
Posts: 2234
Joined: January 20th, 2011, 9:01 pm

Re: If Wichita Left.... (RPI Talk)

Sponsor

Sponsor
 

Re: If Wichita Left.... (RPI Talk)

Postby uniftw » April 4th, 2017, 12:26 pm

TheAsianSensation wrote:The 5th best RPI in the Colonial was better than the 3rd best RPI in the MVC.

There's your problems.

RPI 150 teams need to be 125.
RPI 200 teams need to be 150.
RPI 250 teams need to be 200.

Incremental steps forward.

Yep.

The best way to move those 125s to top 75-100, and 150s to 125s and so on is to keep teams from being freaking RPI anchors.

Look at the history of the MVCs RPI. The top 2 or 3 (even 4 some years) are still where they usually have been. The issue is the bottom has fallen out and so everyone is drug down a bunch of spots.

Having Drake and Bradley stop being 260-300+ every damn year would go further than spots 4-6 moving from 150-175 to 100-125 on their own.
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer
 
Posts: 2234
Joined: January 20th, 2011, 9:01 pm

Re: If Wichita Left.... (RPI Talk)

Postby SubGod22 » April 4th, 2017, 12:50 pm

uniftw wrote:
TheAsianSensation wrote:The 5th best RPI in the Colonial was better than the 3rd best RPI in the MVC.

There's your problems.

RPI 150 teams need to be 125.
RPI 200 teams need to be 150.
RPI 250 teams need to be 200.

Incremental steps forward.

Yep.

The best way to move those 125s to top 75-100, and 150s to 125s and so on is to keep teams from being freaking RPI anchors.

Look at the history of the MVCs RPI. The top 2 or 3 (even 4 some years) are still where they usually have been. The issue is the bottom has fallen out and so everyone is drug down a bunch of spots.

Having Drake and Bradley stop being 260-300+ every damn year would go further than spots 4-6 moving from 150-175 to 100-125 on their own.


I would expect Bradley to take a nice step forward this coming season assuming their schedule isn't made by Marty.
www.wheatshockers.com

Government does not solve problems; it subsidizes them.

The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help.

Unemployment insurance is a prepaid vacation for freeloaders.
User avatar
SubGod22
All MVC
All MVC
 
Posts: 769
Joined: August 11th, 2010, 9:37 am
Location: Outside the Dub

Re: If Wichita Left.... (RPI Talk)

Postby uniftw » April 4th, 2017, 1:09 pm

SubGod22 wrote:
uniftw wrote:
TheAsianSensation wrote:The 5th best RPI in the Colonial was better than the 3rd best RPI in the MVC.

There's your problems.

RPI 150 teams need to be 125.
RPI 200 teams need to be 150.
RPI 250 teams need to be 200.

Incremental steps forward.

Yep.

The best way to move those 125s to top 75-100, and 150s to 125s and so on is to keep teams from being freaking RPI anchors.

Look at the history of the MVCs RPI. The top 2 or 3 (even 4 some years) are still where they usually have been. The issue is the bottom has fallen out and so everyone is drug down a bunch of spots.

Having Drake and Bradley stop being 260-300+ every damn year would go further than spots 4-6 moving from 150-175 to 100-125 on their own.


I would expect Bradley to take a nice step forward this coming season assuming their schedule isn't made by Marty.
Bradley is the one private school I feel can actually help the conference. UE and Loyola are...well...we've beaten them enough. Drake has this "thing" that MVC fans love to try to talk about as being a real thing, but it's not. The Knapp Center is hideous. It's been a few generations since they were good, and their admin might be the most incompetent in the conference.

In another thread I created a "what if" conference. I left Bradley as a "maybe" but the more I think about them, the more I think eventually they'll get it right. They truly have the capacity ($, facilities and alumni/fan base) to do it right when it happens.
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer
 
Posts: 2234
Joined: January 20th, 2011, 9:01 pm

Re: If Wichita Left.... (RPI Talk)

Postby tribecalledquest » April 4th, 2017, 1:18 pm

uniftw wrote:I would expect Bradley to take a nice step forward this coming season assuming their schedule isn't made by Marty.
Bradley is the one private school I feel can actually help the conference. UE and Loyola are...well...we've beaten them enough. Drake has this "thing" that MVC fans love to try to talk about as being a real thing, but it's not. The Knapp Center is hideous. It's been a few generations since they were good, and their admin might be the most incompetent in the conference.

In another thread I created a "what if" conference. I left Bradley as a "maybe" but the more I think about them, the more I think eventually they'll get it right. They truly have the capacity ($, facilities and alumni/fan base) to do it right when it happens.[/quote]

Bradley hasn't been out of the top three in the league in home attendance in, well, ever. They were third this year and were awful.

Their attendance #'s this year were better than anyone in the Horizon and Summit. Behind only Ohio U in the MAC and would have been fifth in the A10 (Dayton, Richmond, SLU, VCU) and sixth in the AAC (Cincy, Memphis, UConn, SMU, Temple).
tribecalledquest
All MVC
All MVC
 
Posts: 931
Joined: August 4th, 2010, 10:57 am

Re: If Wichita Left.... (RPI Talk)

Postby uniftw » April 4th, 2017, 2:41 pm

tribecalledquest wrote:
uniftw wrote:I would expect Bradley to take a nice step forward this coming season assuming their schedule isn't made by Marty.
Bradley is the one private school I feel can actually help the conference. UE and Loyola are...well...we've beaten them enough. Drake has this "thing" that MVC fans love to try to talk about as being a real thing, but it's not. The Knapp Center is hideous. It's been a few generations since they were good, and their admin might be the most incompetent in the conference.

In another thread I created a "what if" conference. I left Bradley as a "maybe" but the more I think about them, the more I think eventually they'll get it right. They truly have the capacity ($, facilities and alumni/fan base) to do it right when it happens.


Bradley hasn't been out of the top three in the league in home attendance in, well, ever. They were third this year and were awful.

Their attendance #'s this year were better than anyone in the Horizon and Summit. Behind only Ohio U in the MAC and would have been fifth in the A10 (Dayton, Richmond, SLU, VCU) and sixth in the AAC (Cincy, Memphis, UConn, SMU, Temple).[/quote]
Yeah. I'm calling shenanigans on Bradley's attendance numbers though. I watched enough games to know what the crowds actually looked like. However, the point is valid.

If I was picking current MVC members to "reboot" the MVC I'd start with UNI, WSU, Bradley, ISUr....SIU and MSU would get consideration but I'm not sure.
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer
 
Posts: 2234
Joined: January 20th, 2011, 9:01 pm

Re: If Wichita Left.... (RPI Talk)

Postby Cdizzle » April 4th, 2017, 2:56 pm

uniftw wrote:Yeah. I'm calling shenanigans on Bradley's attendance numbers though. I watched enough games to know what the crowds actually looked like. However, the point is valid.

If I was picking current MVC members to "reboot" the MVC I'd start with UNI, WSU, Bradley, ISUr....SIU and MSU would get consideration but I'm not sure.

There may not have been that many butts in seats (though there weren't at any of the other 8 schools either), but there were at least that many tickets sold. Which means 2 things. First, it means they currently have the funds to keep paying real salaries in search of a good coach. Second, it means at the first sign of success, the butts will be back in the seats.
Last edited by Cdizzle on April 4th, 2017, 3:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer
 
Posts: 2134
Joined: November 11th, 2010, 11:28 am

Re: If Wichita Left.... (RPI Talk)

Postby BradleyFan71 » April 4th, 2017, 2:59 pm

uniftw wrote:
TheAsianSensation wrote:The 5th best RPI in the Colonial was better than the 3rd best RPI in the MVC.

There's your problems.

RPI 150 teams need to be 125.
RPI 200 teams need to be 150.
RPI 250 teams need to be 200.

Incremental steps forward.

Yep.

The best way to move those 125s to top 75-100, and 150s to 125s and so on is to keep teams from being freaking RPI anchors.

Look at the history of the MVCs RPI. The top 2 or 3 (even 4 some years) are still where they usually have been. The issue is the bottom has fallen out and so everyone is drug down a bunch of spots.

Having Drake and Bradley stop being 260-300+ every damn year would go further than spots 4-6 moving from 150-175 to 100-125 on their own.

Bradley isn't 260-300 every damn year.....

Play Angry wrote:Final numbers with 2017 in the books:
RPIs across the Conference:

Wichita State 29
Illinois State 39
SIU 147
UNI 159
Loyola 184
Evansville 192
Missouri State 211
Bradley 219
Indiana State 232
Drake 316
User avatar
BradleyFan71
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player
 
Posts: 82
Joined: October 5th, 2013, 11:19 pm

Re: If Wichita Left.... (RPI Talk)

Postby BradleyFan71 » April 4th, 2017, 3:03 pm

Cdizzle wrote:
uniftw wrote:
tribecalledquest wrote:
Bradley is the one private school I feel can actually help the conference. UE and Loyola are...well...we've beaten them enough. Drake has this "thing" that MVC fans love to try to talk about as being a real thing, but it's not. The Knapp Center is hideous. It's been a few generations since they were good, and their admin might be the most incompetent in the conference.

In another thread I created a "what if" conference. I left Bradley as a "maybe" but the more I think about them, the more I think eventually they'll get it right. They truly have the capacity ($, facilities and alumni/fan base) to do it right when it happens.


Bradley hasn't been out of the top three in the league in home attendance in, well, ever. They were third this year and were awful.

Their attendance #'s this year were better than anyone in the Horizon and Summit. Behind only Ohio U in the MAC and would have been fifth in the A10 (Dayton, Richmond, SLU, VCU) and sixth in the AAC (Cincy, Memphis, UConn, SMU, Temple).

Yeah. I'm calling shenanigans on Bradley's attendance numbers though. I watched enough games to know what the crowds actually looked like. However, the point is valid.

If I was picking current MVC members to "reboot" the MVC I'd start with UNI, WSU, Bradley, ISUr....SIU and MSU would get consideration but I'm not sure.[/quote]
There may not have been that many butts in seats (though there weren't at any of the other 8 schools either), but there were at least that many tickets sold. Which means 2 things. First, it means they currently have the funds to keep paying real salaries in search of a good coach. Second, it means at the first sign of success, the butts will be back in the seats.[/quote]
I happen to agree with you that at the first sign of success, the butts will be back in the seats, but it also means people are losing interest if they don't even bother attending an event they have already paid for.
User avatar
BradleyFan71
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player
 
Posts: 82
Joined: October 5th, 2013, 11:19 pm

Re: If Wichita Left.... (RPI Talk)

Postby Cdizzle » April 4th, 2017, 3:07 pm

BradleyFan71 wrote:Bradley isn't 260-300 every damn year.....

219
304
280
264
179
268
229

.....kinda arguing some depressing semantics.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer
 
Posts: 2134
Joined: November 11th, 2010, 11:28 am

Previous

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 14 guests