If Wichita Left.... (RPI Talk)

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: If Wichita Left.... (RPI Talk)

Postby BirdsEyeView » December 28th, 2017, 4:06 pm

AndShock wrote:
BirdsEyeView wrote:This is a very funny thread as WSU fans thought the ceiling was going to collapse on our conference. Some projecting our Conference RPI to drop to 16th...

Instead we moved up to 8th in the noncon in the first season they leave.

We didn’t realize having Wichita State in the conference killed all motivation and effort within the conference.

:dance: :Cheers:
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Snaggletooth » December 30th, 2017, 12:49 am

No doubt that MVC had a nice bounce back year - it where it should have been. The difference is not with a stronger top tier teams, but a lower tier that moved them selves up 50-100 spot. The 200+/300+ rpi teams have been a killer for the conference the last few years. Had this happened last year ISUR would have been dancing. But even though this is best non-conference start since what 2014? The league will still be 1 bid.

Now if WSU still been in the league UNI and MOST would each have at least 2 additional chances for quality wins - if you run the analysis, if they could split with WSU, it would at least move them on to the bubble. The MVC would at least have a decent chance for 2 bids, and if things played out right, even the potential for 3.
Snaggletooth
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby AndShock » December 30th, 2017, 3:07 am

Snaggletooth wrote:No doubt that MVC had a nice bounce back year - it where it should have been. The difference is not with a stronger top tier teams, but a lower tier that moved them selves up 50-100 spot. The 200+/300+ rpi teams have been a killer for the conference the last few years. Had this happened last year ISUR would have been dancing. But even though this is best non-conference start since what 2014? The league will still be 1 bid.

Now if WSU still been in the league UNI and MOST would each have at least 2 additional chances for quality wins - if you run the analysis, if they could split with WSU, it would at least move them on to the bubble. The MVC would at least have a decent chance for 2 bids, and if things played out right, even the potential for 3.

UNI can’t beat SIU at home. Having Wichita State would not have helped anything this year.
AndShock
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BirdsEyeView » December 30th, 2017, 7:25 am

Snaggletooth wrote:No doubt that MVC had a nice bounce back year - it where it should have been. The difference is not with a stronger top tier teams, but a lower tier that moved them selves up 50-100 spot. The 200+/300+ rpi teams have been a killer for the conference the last few years. Had this happened last year ISUR would have been dancing. But even though this is best non-conference start since what 2014? The league will still be 1 bid.

Yes agreed, that's the argument in this entire topic thread. If everyone improves, the conference improves...unfortunately no elite at large type teams this year, but certainly no "sky is falling" like some Shocker prognosticators had assumed.

UNI was never good enough for an at large. Missouri St. was our only shot and their coach sucks too much and that schedule killed any chance at it.

As for my Birds, we had no chance this year for an at large losing what we lost. Pissed about last year...hopeful for next year.
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby ShoxNAwe » December 30th, 2017, 11:08 pm

It's great to see the MVC rolling along so well. Still wouldn't trade a road win at UCONN for a road win anywhere in the Valley.
ShoxNAwe
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby bigdawg » December 31st, 2017, 7:26 am

ShoxNAwe wrote:It's great to see the MVC rolling along so well. Still wouldn't trade a road win at UCONN for a road win anywhere in the Valley.

UConn sucks.
bigdawg
All MVC
All MVC

Postby mvfcfan » December 31st, 2017, 9:20 am

ShoxNAwe wrote:Still wouldn't trade a road win at UCONN for a road win anywhere in the Valley.

Nice cheap shot at the Valley. I was rooting for UConn yesterday FYI and I hope Cincinnati (or anyone besides WSU) wins your league this year. And believe me no one was happier to see an obnoxious fanbase leave the conference more than this guy right here.
mvfcfan
All MVC
All MVC

Postby ptownbraves » December 31st, 2017, 10:32 am

ShoxNAwe wrote:It's great to see the MVC rolling along so well. Still wouldn't trade a road win at UCONN for a road win anywhere in the Valley.

There are 3 teams in the MVC ranked higher than the great UCONN in KenPom and 4 in RPI. If stronger seeding in the NCAA tourney which WSU fans complained about for years is your goal, then this statement makes no sense. :huh:
ptownbraves
All MVC
All MVC

Postby ACECARD » December 31st, 2017, 12:46 pm

mvfcfan wrote:
ShoxNAwe wrote:Still wouldn't trade a road win at UCONN for a road win anywhere in the Valley.

Nice cheap shot at the Valley. I was rooting for UConn yesterday FYI and I hope Cincinnati (or anyone besides WSU) wins your league this year. And believe me no one was happier to see an obnoxious fanbase leave the conference more than this guy right here.

I'm sure there are many on this forum that feel as you do. Count me in.
ACECARD
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Aargh » December 31st, 2017, 8:52 pm

bigdawg wrote:

UConn sucks.

Yes, UConn sucks, but they suck in front of 15,500+ fans on CBS at noon Eastern time.

UConn is a borderline top-100 team and their rpi is likely to get better playing in the American. The Valley's borderline top-100 teams are likely to have their rpi's get worse playing in the Valley.

I know it's not "supposed" to work the way it does work, but winning a prime time weekend game on CBS against a name team is probably more important than the exact ranking of that team.
Aargh
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball