If Wichita Left.... (RPI Talk)

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: If Wichita Left.... (RPI Talk)

Postby Redbirds4Life » January 26th, 2017, 12:31 pm

If Wichita State leaves the Valley, it will be the end of the Valley as we have known it. There will be multiple teams following them right out the door. Illinois State/Northern Iowa have both been wanting to get into FBS conferences for football and this may what makes them go right out the door. I would be disappointed, because the valley is an awesome conference. I just don't think that the can survive a Wichita State exit, like they did when Creighton left.
Redbirds4Life
MVC starter
MVC starter

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby BirdsEyeView » January 26th, 2017, 12:35 pm

Wufan wrote:
BirdsEyeView wrote:
LanceShock wrote:If WSU left, RPI is the least of any Valley team's worries that is aspiring to get an at large bid. A bigger issue, where being in the Valley has hurt WSU the last two year, is that it removes two games from the schedule against a team that (at least for now and into the foreseeable future) that can help give a team some of the good wins needed to get an at large. If you are a Valley team and something goes wrong with your nonconference schedule (ie an injury to a key player during the nonconference or opponents performing below what would have been expected), and all of a sudden you are looking at needing to win Arch Madness to go to the NCAA tournament.

100% agree in the league's current state.

Can SIU get back to it's mid 2000's glory days?
ISUr is trending up every year since Muller arrived in terms of final standings in the league, can it continue? Loyola and MSU is recruiting well (coaching holding them back a bit)
UNI - Always in the mix
Bradley on a 5 year plan to regain respectability.
Some schools like ISUb are a recruit or two away (look at what Odum did to that program for 4 years).

Marginal improvement from each. Get a few in the top 100 RPI every year and better league wins can be had to improve NCAA resumes

This should be the plan regardless of any realignment.

Yes, but it should be considered in all data points as well. Marginal improvements from programs as a whole make up the difference of a loss from WSU (in some areas). Bradley specifically should improve a ton.
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BCPanther » January 26th, 2017, 2:16 pm

Its all about non-con scheduling. There are too many teams playing way too many 250+ RPI teams.

You don't have to go crazy and schedule like UNI and Wichita do and where Illinois State is getting to (good on you Birds), but you can't play 4 SWAC schools and 3 Ohio Valley schools and hope to have anything resembling decent numbers.

I'm not sure what Wichita has outside of Oklahoma next year but I'm sure it will be very good. UNI has Battle 4 Atlantis, @ North Carolina, Xavier in Cedar Falls and Iowa State in Des Moines and its also rumored that our Mtn West game is UNLV in Cedar Falls. Even if everybody else would come half way, it would make a massive difference.
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby SubGod22 » January 26th, 2017, 2:22 pm

BCPanther wrote:Its all about non-con scheduling. There are too many teams playing way too many 250+ RPI teams.

You don't have to go crazy and schedule like UNI and Wichita do and where Illinois State is getting to (good on you Birds), but you can't play 4 SWAC schools and 3 Ohio Valley schools and hope to have anything resembling decent numbers.

I'm not sure what Wichita has outside of Oklahoma next year but I'm sure it will be very good. UNI has Battle 4 Atlantis, @ North Carolina, Xavier in Cedar Falls and Iowa State in Des Moines and its also rumored that our Mtn West game is UNLV in Cedar Falls. Even if everybody else would come half way, it would make a massive difference.

Wichita has Maui, Oklahoma and Oklahoma State. Not sure where either of those two will stand. I believe we have Tulsa which is young this year and you'd assume would get better. I'm not sure if we have SLU again, but I hope not. I'm sure we'll have a couple more respectable games when the schedule gets completed.
www.wheatshockers.com

Government does not solve problems; it subsidizes them.

The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help.

Unemployment insurance is a prepaid vacation for freeloaders.
SubGod22
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Play Angry » January 26th, 2017, 6:00 pm

SLU series is done thank god.

We'll get hosed like usual and end up with a plate of crap for the MWC game, otherwise I think Sub's list above (OU, OSU, Tulsa, Maui (x3)) is the current universe.
Play Angry
All MVC
All MVC

Postby ShoxNAwe » January 26th, 2017, 9:56 pm

Redbirdgrad wrote:This is a tough one. The MVC has survived many name schools leaving, and it's still been able to right the ship.

Not so much. The Valley used to be the #1 conference in the country. If you all want to fight over being 12th or 14th or 16th if/when WSU departs, enjoy your boatride in the toilet.
ShoxNAwe
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Redbirdgrad » January 26th, 2017, 10:05 pm

ShoxNAwe wrote:
Redbirdgrad wrote:This is a tough one. The MVC has survived many name schools leaving, and it's still been able to right the ship.

Not so much. The Valley used to be the #1 conference in the country. If you all want to fight over being 12th or 14th or 16th if/when WSU departs, enjoy your boatride in the toilet.

LOL. The Valley isn't going into the toilet with just Wichita leaving and adding another team in (if that even happens).

Now, if that move causes a UNI and ISU or others to improve into FBS for football and make a conference move due to that as well... then we're talking.

But Wichita alone wont tank the Valley.
Redbirdgrad
All MVC
All MVC

Postby TheAsianSensation » January 26th, 2017, 11:00 pm

It is all about the non-con SoS, but with the NCAA meeting this last week with all the statheads, I'm guessing non-con SoS is one of the things on the chopping block for major reform (or at least it sure as hell better be). Far too much of it is bad team avoidance right now; less weight needs to be given to cupcakes and more to quality opponents.

We're getting better at non-con SoS this year, only a couple real albatrosses (Missouri St is a good lesson about not every MTT being worth it). And then there's Wichita...what SoS God did you anger this year? My God.
http://bracketball.blogspot.com/ A national version of the world-famous TAS Bracketology. Spread the word
TheAsianSensation
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby TheObserver » January 27th, 2017, 12:17 am

Redbirdgrad wrote:
LOL. The Valley isn't going into the toilet with just Wichita leaving and adding another team in (if that even happens).

Now, if that move causes a UNI and ISU or others to improve into FBS for football and make a conference move due to that as well... then we're talking.

LOL.

So if UNI or Illinois State leaves the Valley, it's in the toilet, but if WSU leaves, it can survive? LOL. Ok.

UNI leaving would be far more damaging than if Illinois State left. UNI has a history of winning in this league, has recent NCAA Tournament appearances/success, and has been consistently above average for a far longer time than Illinois State, who for all we know could be a hot Johnny-come-lately and tank after their load of seniors graduate. So please.

Also, you're assuming a lot with these FBS aspirations. I'm gonna go ahead and say it's way more likely the Valley hits #16 in the RPI after WSU leaves than UNI or Illinois State joining FBS football.
TheObserver
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby BirdsEyeView » January 27th, 2017, 8:16 am

TheObserver wrote:
Redbirdgrad wrote:

LOL.

So if UNI or Illinois State leaves the Valley, it's in the toilet, but if WSU leaves, it can survive? LOL. Ok.

UNI leaving would be far more damaging than if Illinois State left. UNI has a history of winning in this league, has recent NCAA Tournament appearances/success, and has been consistently above average for a far longer time than Illinois State, who for all we know could be a hot Johnny-come-lately and tank after their load of seniors graduate. So please.

Also, you're assuming a lot with these FBS aspirations. I'm gonna go ahead and say it's way more likely the Valley hits #16 in the RPI after WSU leaves than UNI or Illinois State joining FBS football.

TheObserver....Re-read his message (I highlighted the key part in bold and underline). It states

"The Valley isn't going into the toilet with just Wichita leaving and adding another team in (if that even happens).
Now, if that move causes a UNI and ISU or others to improve into FBS for football and make a conference move due to that as well... then we're talking."

So, what he is saying is if WSU leaves AND it causes ISUr and UNI to leave because of it to FBS football conferences, then the Valley is in trouble. They are not mutually exclusive moves away from the conference.

Also, you understand moves out of the conference are for ALL SPORTS, not just basketball right? So, you have to take into account the impact of a move for all sports, not just basketball. Here is an excerpt from the all sports trophy article for 2015-16 season:

"Either Illinois State, Missouri State or Wichita State, meanwhile, has earned the league’s all-sports championship trophy every year since 1995. Illinois State won five of six all-sports championships from 1996-2001, while Missouri State claimed the league’s trophy in 2001-02, 2002-03 and in 2011-12. Notably, Illinois State has 12 all-sports crowns and has finished first, second, or third in 24 of the past 26 years."

http://www.mvc-sports.com/awards/allspo ... ItVRxsrKM8

So, back to your jab at Illinois State....is UNI really that much better in ALL SPORTS than ISUr? Absolutely not, they are worse.
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball