If Wichita Left.... (RPI Talk)

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: If Wichita Left.... (RPI Talk)

Postby ShoxNAwe » December 30th, 2017, 11:08 pm

It's great to see the MVC rolling along so well. Still wouldn't trade a road win at UCONN for a road win anywhere in the Valley.
ShoxNAwe
MVC starter
MVC starter

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby bigdawg » December 31st, 2017, 7:26 am

ShoxNAwe wrote:It's great to see the MVC rolling along so well. Still wouldn't trade a road win at UCONN for a road win anywhere in the Valley.

UConn sucks.
bigdawg
All MVC
All MVC

Postby mvfcfan » December 31st, 2017, 9:20 am

ShoxNAwe wrote:Still wouldn't trade a road win at UCONN for a road win anywhere in the Valley.

Nice cheap shot at the Valley. I was rooting for UConn yesterday FYI and I hope Cincinnati (or anyone besides WSU) wins your league this year. And believe me no one was happier to see an obnoxious fanbase leave the conference more than this guy right here.
mvfcfan
All MVC
All MVC

Postby ptownbraves » December 31st, 2017, 10:32 am

ShoxNAwe wrote:It's great to see the MVC rolling along so well. Still wouldn't trade a road win at UCONN for a road win anywhere in the Valley.

There are 3 teams in the MVC ranked higher than the great UCONN in KenPom and 4 in RPI. If stronger seeding in the NCAA tourney which WSU fans complained about for years is your goal, then this statement makes no sense. :huh:
ptownbraves
All MVC
All MVC

Postby ACECARD » December 31st, 2017, 12:46 pm

mvfcfan wrote:
ShoxNAwe wrote:Still wouldn't trade a road win at UCONN for a road win anywhere in the Valley.

Nice cheap shot at the Valley. I was rooting for UConn yesterday FYI and I hope Cincinnati (or anyone besides WSU) wins your league this year. And believe me no one was happier to see an obnoxious fanbase leave the conference more than this guy right here.

I'm sure there are many on this forum that feel as you do. Count me in.
ACECARD
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Aargh » December 31st, 2017, 8:52 pm

bigdawg wrote:

UConn sucks.

Yes, UConn sucks, but they suck in front of 15,500+ fans on CBS at noon Eastern time.

UConn is a borderline top-100 team and their rpi is likely to get better playing in the American. The Valley's borderline top-100 teams are likely to have their rpi's get worse playing in the Valley.

I know it's not "supposed" to work the way it does work, but winning a prime time weekend game on CBS against a name team is probably more important than the exact ranking of that team.
Aargh
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby musiccitybulldog » December 31st, 2017, 9:04 pm

I've watched several WSU games, seems last 2-3 I've seen the Shockers are struggling more than I expected.
musiccitybulldog
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Jsnhbe1Birds » December 31st, 2017, 9:21 pm

Besides for smu and Cincy the American is worse. Memphis isn't great right now. Ucf is no better that ISU last season. Then the rest just suck. The top of the league is better but the bottom is worse. The American us only slightly better this season.
Jsnhbe1Birds
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Aargh » December 31st, 2017, 10:11 pm

musiccitybulldog wrote:I've watched several WSU games, seems last 2-3 I've seen the Shockers are struggling more than I expected.

Ain't that the truth! They're playing like they've been reading the media reports and thinking the AP ranking will win games for them. It's kind of an ugly 11-2.

UCF has had 3 key players hurt. tacko Fall (the 7'6" rim protecter) is back, they're getting anothe guy back right about now, and they lost their best PF for the season. They may only be as good as IlSu was last year, but IlSU should have gotten an at large last year.

Don't look past Houston. They have wins over Arkansas (rpi 4), Providence (rpi 42) and Temple (rpi 32).

The bottom end of the league is beyond awful. Significantly worse than any 2 teams we saw in the Valley in my memory and I'm OLD! One advantage of a 12-member conference is that the top teams only play the bottom teams once each season. The Shox will get 4 games against teams with rpi's ranging from 96-334 and 14 games against teams with rpi 32-103.
Aargh
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby mvcfan » January 1st, 2018, 1:51 am

Hey Again. I'm not here to troll as the earlier comment by Awe. UCONN and Memphis aren't very good right now. UCONN does have superior talent right now, a fan base second to none, and several recent National titles so I think it is safe to say they will be a future factor to deal with (most likely soon). Memphis still has superior support and a huge arena to play in, and a history of national success, so I would wager they'll be back soon too.

Your points about E. Carolina and S. Florida is fair. Their talent doesn't look as bad as their RPI but they are playing a lot of cupcakes whose RPIs are above 250. They would definitely be toward the bottom of the Valley if they played a full conference schedule and maybe at the bottom. It's hard to tell for sure how low.

We do have 7 Top 100 RPI teams. Tulsa who would mostly be a 3-5 Valley team(lost to ISUR) is very inconsistent ent (I'm not impressed with Haith) but I'm not sure they have a signature win. But Temple and Houston have beaten some teams like Arkansas (I don't remember off the top of my head who the others are) but maybe Georgetown was another. Cincinnati and SMU have had some excellent wins such as UcLA on the road.

All teams struggle some during a long year and we are no exception. We have played a Top schedule and defeated OSU (they beat Florida State) and Baylor (defeated Creighton) on the road (true road games), and California and Marquette in Hawaii. We blew a game to ND leading for 59 minutes before handing it to them. We've also played zero gimmes(maybe UMKC and Savannah). Charleston, SDSU, and FGCU will all end up in the NCAA and are capable of wins (as a 15-16seed). Our other loss is to OU who is probably a Top 5 team and will be a good loss.

Well congrats on your big league wins. I'm afraid that once you get into league play, those teams will not be very successful in their respective leagues and your RPIs will fall but we will see. Good Luck to all of you, even you haters.
mvcfan
All MVC
All MVC

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball