If Wichita Left.... (RPI Talk)

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: If Wichita Left.... (RPI Talk)

Postby Stickboy46 » March 9th, 2017, 9:30 am

Random Curiousity, I took ISU's RPI of 31 and dropped their 3 games against WSU. Their RPI went from 31 to 38.

Though if WSU left, they would backfill WSU with someone else. UMKC has been rumored before and they are a middleish of the pack RPI (180). So I took ISU and changed the W/L/L to WSU over to UMKC. RPI Jumps to 49.

Though most likely, ISU would probably sweep UMKC in the regular season. So I ran that. Put W/W/L for ISU vs UMKC and their RPI is 42. So a 28-5 (18-0) ISU would lose 11 spots in the RPI compared to a 27-5 (17-1) ISU with WSU on the schedule.

Just some random thoughts on how it would ripple through the league.
Stickboy46
All MVC
All MVC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby BirdsEyeView » March 9th, 2017, 9:33 am

Stickboy46 wrote:Random Curiousity, I took ISU's RPI of 31 and dropped their 3 games against WSU. Their RPI went from 31 to 38.

Though if WSU left, they would backfill WSU with someone else. UMKC has been rumored before and they are a middleish of the pack RPI (180). So I took ISU and changed the W/L/L to WSU over to UMKC. RPI Jumps to 49.

Though most likely, ISU would probably sweep UMKC in the regular season. So I ran that. Put W/W/L for ISU vs UMKC and their RPI is 42. So a 28-5 (18-0) ISU would lose 11 spots in the RPI compared to a 27-5 (17-1) ISU with WSU on the schedule.

Honestly, I am more concerned with the dead weight right now than WSU. Upgrade SIU, ISUb, MSU, Bradley. Plus, UNI had a terribly down year...might again next year. Others need to simply schedule better (Evansville) regardless of their potential and that discernible difference goes away with those programs.

Improve the weak to make up the difference for a loss at the top...OR...keep the team at the top and upgrade everyone else. Then ISUr is not sitting on the bubble right now.
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Stickboy46 » March 9th, 2017, 9:37 am

BirdsEyeView wrote:
Stickboy46 wrote:Random Curiousity, I took ISU's RPI of 31 and dropped their 3 games against WSU. Their RPI went from 31 to 38.

Honestly, I am more concerned with the dead weight right now than WSU. Upgrade SIU, ISUb, MSU, Bradley. Plus, UNI had a terribly down year...might again next year. Others need to simply schedule better (Evansville) regardless of their potential and that discernible difference goes away with those programs.

Improve the weak to make up the difference for a loss at the top...OR...keep the team at the top and upgrade everyone else. Then ISUr is not sitting on the bubble right now.

Correct, if 3 or 4 teams can just manage to be Top 100 ... its a totally different story. That's really not a lot to ask.
Stickboy46
All MVC
All MVC

Postby RoyalShock » March 9th, 2017, 1:57 pm

If you removed WSU's two games from every other MVC team's schedule (an additional 16-game impact) and replaced them with UMKC, I wonder what the average RPI drop per team would be? ISU would lose a few more than 11 spots. A wild guess would put it at 15-20, also the average drop among the others.
RoyalShock
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby TheObserver » March 9th, 2017, 1:59 pm

I was told when this thread was created that WSU leaving would have a minimal effect on the conference's RPI.
TheObserver
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Cdizzle » March 9th, 2017, 2:01 pm

TheObserver wrote:I was told when this thread was created that WSU leaving would have a minimal effect on the conference's RPI.

That's because some people don't understand how math works.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby mvcfan » March 9th, 2017, 2:35 pm

I like all Valley schools but I would have a party. Others want you o be where we are so they are angry and jealous. The MVC just isn't a challenge for us anymore. However that said, I do hope that ISUR gets invited to the NCAA and I do think they could win a game or two.
mvcfan
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Snaggletooth » March 9th, 2017, 5:32 pm

BirdsEyeView wrote:
Others need to simply schedule better (Evansville) regardless of their potential and that discernible difference goes away with those programs.

Evansville had the 2nd hardest non-conference SOS in the conference?

There were only 3 schools that scheduled bad:

SWMO: 331
DU: 212
LUC: 279

The really problem is the league is they need to win their game in non-conference.

MVC was 1-38 in non-conference play vs Top 50
Snaggletooth
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby ACECARD » March 10th, 2017, 11:38 am

Snaggletooth wrote:
BirdsEyeView wrote:
Others need to simply schedule better (Evansville) regardless of their potential and that discernible difference goes away with those programs.
[/quote

And there in lies the root cause of the MVC's problems, and people wonder why the conference is rated so low.
ACECARD
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Stickboy46 » March 10th, 2017, 11:41 am

Snaggletooth wrote:
BirdsEyeView wrote:

Evansville had the 2nd hardest non-conference SOS in the conference?

There were only 3 schools that scheduled bad:

SWMO: 331
DU: 212
LUC: 279

The really problem is the league is they need to win their game in non-conference.

Yay Indiana State for that one win!
Stickboy46
All MVC
All MVC

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball