If Wichita Left.... (RPI Talk)

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: If Wichita Left.... (RPI Talk)

Postby Redbirds4Life » January 27th, 2017, 2:59 pm

BirdsEyeView wrote:
Cdizzle wrote:1. No. Not most of the time. People keep assuming someone else will step up, go 17-1, get 2 bids, and win a bunch of NCAA shares.

2. I'm not convinced the math has been done to prove the point you think you're proving to begin with.

Where is the math to prove that no team will be ready to step up and go 17-1 and become a regular at-large contender?

Also, who's to say Gregg Marshall remains the captain of the ship for the foreseeable future?

I don't know for sure what's going on in Wichita with Shox Future/Marshall, but you have to believe that his time in Wichita is fully dependent on the right job coming available. Don't think he is a forever guy, but I also think that he can be picky. I think the University is aware, he could leave at the end of the year, or in 10 years....just depends imo. I think that is why the realignment for them has gotten louder since Creighton left, they know, without Marshall, program could take a step back depending on the hire.
Redbirds4Life
MVC starter
MVC starter

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby TheObserver » January 27th, 2017, 2:59 pm

Again, you have certain Redbird fans seriously underestimating the loss of WSU. The only reason WSU is in the at-large picture right now is because of name recognition. Their resume is highly questionable at best. And the main reason Illinois State is in the at-large picture is because of their win over WSU. That win is the only thing that's carrying them because they have no other quality wins on their resume.

Statistically, the Valley would drop if WSU left. Unless the Valley magically found themselves a team that was a perennial Top 30 RPI team that regularly went to the NCAA Tournament. Perception wise, the Valley would take an enormous hit for obvious reasons.

A few of the Redbird fans here today remind me of Indiana State fans in 2011. There are HUGE assumptions being made that Illinois State would be an at-large contender every year after WSU left, when they haven't had any sort of success proving otherwise. I believe they only have 3 or 4 NCAA Tournament bids in their entire history, with the last one being in 1998. And we're supposed to assume that Illinois State is going to be the Wichita State of the Valley if WSU leaves? Really?

Until proven otherwise, you assume that, if the team that's consistently carried the Valley banner the longest and farthest, leaves then there will be a huge vacuum leftover with a conference that hasn't proven it can do anything remotely close to replace it what it had lost. UNI is the closest resemblance to that but is still not comparable to a WSU.
TheObserver
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Cdizzle » January 27th, 2017, 3:10 pm

BirdsEyeView wrote:
Cdizzle wrote:1. No. Not most of the time. People keep assuming someone else will step up, go 17-1, get 2 bids, and win a bunch of NCAA shares.

2. I'm not convinced the math has been done to prove the point you think you're proving to begin with.

Where is the math to prove that no team will be ready to step up and go 17-1 and become a regular at-large contender?

Also, who's to say Gregg Marshall remains the captain of the ship for the foreseeable future?

You want to see the math that proves no one will go 17-1 the next 5 years? Really? That's pretty weak.

No one says he will. Who is to say WSU couldn't hire the next Gregg Marshall? The same no ones.

And to the people that think WSU is trying to change conferences quickly because they won't be able to after Marshall leaves, you have it backwards. WSU is trying to change conferences quickly so that Marshall doesn't leave. At current, I think Marshall is likely to move on at some point. Put WSU in the AAC, and I think he retires at WSU. That's all speculative. Except for the part about him not liking changing jobs, unless it becomes apparent he can't get decent NCAA seeds with good teams from crappy conferences.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby mvcfan » January 27th, 2017, 3:36 pm

Redbirds4Life wrote:
BirdsEyeView wrote:

I don't know for sure what's going on in Wichita with Shox Future/Marshall, but you have to believe that his time in Wichita is fully dependent on the right job coming available. Don't think he is a forever guy, but I also think that he can be picky. I think the University is aware, he could leave at the end of the year, or in 10 years....just depends imo. I think that is why the realignment for them has gotten louder since Creighton left, they know, without Marshall, program could take a step back depending on the hire.

You overestimate the interest that Gregg has in leaving WSU. 3.25 Million Dollars, and other resources he has, keeps the loyalty and interest in many a coach, including Gregg. Besides the money, recruiting is going well, he is going to continue to win here, has another Top 10-25 Team returning next year, and he is going to make the College HOF no matter where he goes, or if he stays. I think that those are his present day goals. The entire city backs him, and he feels comfortable with where he is. While I don't have my head in the sand, and realize that he may leave at some point, he still has a lot to accomplish at WSU, and has not stopped working, and with Top 10 money/coaching salary, why wouldn't he like it here.

The reason for WSU to continue to look for conference upgrade has as much to do with donors and fans who want to win as for Gregg. While Gregg wants to continue to be a national player, he is not obsessed with it, and he does have an opportunity to be picky.
mvcfan
All MVC
All MVC

Postby BirdsEyeView » January 27th, 2017, 3:43 pm

Cdizzle wrote:
BirdsEyeView wrote:

You want to see the math that proves no one will go 17-1 the next 5 years? Really? That's pretty weak.

No one says he will. Who is to say WSU couldn't hire the next Gregg Marshall? The same no ones.

And to the people that think WSU is trying to change conferences quickly because they won't be able to after Marshall leaves, you have it backwards. WSU is trying to change conferences quickly so that Marshall doesn't leave. At current, I think Marshall is likely to move on at some point. Put WSU in the AAC, and I think he retires at WSU. That's all speculative. Except for the part about him not liking changing jobs, unless it becomes apparent he can't get decent NCAA seeds with good teams from crappy conferences.

The only reason I said that was to show ambiguity in this entire argument (this is aimed at both Cdizzle and Observer). Questions that are impossible to answer. Stop getting all worked up.

Yes, I agree that Marshall has a higher likelihood of sticking around if a conference move occurs...that is, unless a blue blood comes calling.
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Cdizzle » January 27th, 2017, 3:46 pm

BirdsEyeView wrote:Yes, I agree that Marshall has a higher likelihood of sticking around if a conference move occurs...that is, unless a blue blood comes calling.

I think the only 'blue blood' that would have come calling has already missed their chance. Don't think anyone else will.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BirdsEyeView » January 27th, 2017, 3:48 pm

Cdizzle wrote:
BirdsEyeView wrote:Yes, I agree that Marshall has a higher likelihood of sticking around if a conference move occurs...that is, unless a blue blood comes calling.

I think the only 'blue blood' that would have come calling has already missed their chance. Don't think anyone else will.

Optimism in the state of Wichita.
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Cdizzle » January 27th, 2017, 3:50 pm

BirdsEyeView wrote:
Cdizzle wrote:

Optimism in the state of Wichita.

Looking realistically, who is going to do it?

KU? Yeah, right.

Duke? If K ever retires, you think they're going outside the tree?

UNC? Same.

UK? Maybe? If Cal wants to move on, which he seems to be adamant against (but who knows the real story).
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby shocktheheart » January 27th, 2017, 4:03 pm

Jobs Marshall would entertain:
Kentucky
KU (Won't happen as KU despises him)
Duke (Will hire within)
North Carolina
Louisville
Syracuse
Texas (Didn't happen and they took Shaka)
Villanova
Indiana
Michigan St.
Arizona
UCLA (Happened while WSU was in the Final Four)
Florida (Has already came open once)

Of all of these I think Kentucky, North Carolina, and Louisville would be the most enticing to him.
“I’m gonna punch you in the ovary, that’s what I’m gonna do. A straight shot, right to the babymaker.”
shocktheheart
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Redbirdgrad » January 27th, 2017, 4:04 pm

TheObserver wrote:Again, you have certain Redbird fans seriously underestimating the loss of WSU. The only reason WSU is in the at-large picture right now is because of name recognition. Their resume is highly questionable at best. And the main reason Illinois State is in the at-large picture is because of their win over WSU. That win is the only thing that's carrying them because they have no other quality wins on their resume.

Nobody is underestimating the loss of Wichita State. We've proven over the past week that you seriously overestimated it, but nobody is underestimating it.

TheObserver wrote:Statistically, the Valley would drop if WSU left. Unless the Valley magically found themselves a team that was a perennial Top 30 RPI team that regularly went to the NCAA Tournament. Perception wise, the Valley would take an enormous hit for obvious reasons.

Perennial top 30 huh?
2017 - 67
2016 - 47
2015 - 17
2014 - 4
2013 - 37
2012 - 12
2011 - 60
2010 - 43
2009 - 158
2008 - 198

3 times in the past 10 years you've been top 30. This is your problem Fever. You don't backup any of your talk with actual facts or stats. You've been a very good team for the past 8 years, but quit throwing around accolades you actually don't have. It makes your arguments weak and nobody takes you seriously.

TheObserver wrote:A few of the Redbird fans here today remind me of Indiana State fans in 2011. There are HUGE assumptions being made that Illinois State would be an at-large contender every year after WSU left, when they haven't had any sort of success proving otherwise. I believe they only have 3 or 4 NCAA Tournament bids in their entire history, with the last one being in 1998. And we're supposed to assume that Illinois State is going to be the Wichita State of the Valley if WSU leaves? Really?

Ahh there we go... had to get back to 1998. You're famous for that you know. In the last 8 years (just using data I've had handy from the other analysis), Northern Iowa has the best RPI average after Wichita at 79.38. Illinois State's is 111.13. In more recent history, in the past 4 years since Loyola was added, ISU has actually had the better average at 85.25 to Northern Iowa's 87.75. Illinois State has flirted with at large bids several times since 1998, and were often on the very cusp of getting in. Does the mean ISU will automatically be what Wichita has been in the past 8? No, it doesn't. But Wichita came from relative obscurity at one point too, so who's to say that's out of the question. Just a decade ago, Wichita had a 16-14 record (8-10 in conference) and an RPI of 100. With good hires, recruiting, and a commitment to the program from all levels it became what it is today. That can absolutely happen at ISU. We've had very good recruiting classes recently, a coach who's improved our record every year, and a strong commitment to the program from administration. That's the recipe to prolonged success. To say someone else can't rise up and take the throne is crazy talk. Wichita just recently did it.

TheObserver wrote:Until proven otherwise, you assume that, if the team that's consistently carried the Valley banner the longest and farthest, leaves then there will be a huge vacuum leftover with a conference that hasn't proven it can do anything remotely close to replace it what it had lost. UNI is the closest resemblance to that but is still not comparable to a WSU.

YOU might assume that, because YOU overvalue Wichita. We've shown you through data (from several different reps from several schools now) that you're incorrect. The Valley would take a hit, as losing any top tiered team would do, but as long as the middle can grow and a team or two produce at the top... we're right back to being the Valley.
Redbirdgrad
All MVC
All MVC

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball