If Wichita Left.... (RPI Talk)

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: If Wichita Left.... (RPI Talk)

Postby TheObserver » January 27th, 2017, 11:03 pm

Redbirds4Life wrote:Troll them for 2 seconds about Charles Koch Arena and watch them lose the crap....

Ok, so we now have a self-admitted troll here from the Redbird side. I'm sure redbirdgrad will scold his own accordingly, since he does a great job at scolding them WSU fans at every turn.
TheObserver
MVC starter
MVC starter

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Redbirdgrad » January 28th, 2017, 12:23 am

TheObserver wrote:
Redbirdgrad wrote:Perennial top 30 huh?
2017 - 67
2016 - 47
2015 - 17
2014 - 4
2013 - 37
2012 - 12
2011 - 60
2010 - 43
2009 - 158
2008 - 198

Surely you aren't this obtuse, are you?
Firstly, I'm not sure why you'd include this year when the season is only 2/3 of the way through.

Let's take the average from 2010-2016 and see what we get. The whole point of that was to say that WSU has been relevant enough to be considered for an at-large bid since about 2011. That's consistency. That's something WSU has proven. Illinois State has not.

Can we get Illinois State's numbers over the same time period? And then can we assume that Illinois State is going to 5 straight NCAA Tournaments, a Sweet 16, a Final Four, and have an undefeated season? K, thanks.

Hahahahahahahahahahaha......

YOU used the word perennial, not me. You do understand what that word means, no?
You include this season because you're currently playing it. It counts. Your RPI isn't top 30, like 6 of the other years I listed.
Now you want to go average, but you only want to use the years where you're good? Even though we can go back within 10 years to show when you weren't? And you don't want to use 2017 because it doesn't support your claim even though ITS REAL AND ITS HAPPENING RIGHT NOW???

This is the 2nd baseless claim you've made in a week that you've been called out on statistically and YOU CANT back it up. Championz math right there folks.

And what do you do when losing an argument? Move the target and attack someone else. Sorry bro, you put this bullseye on yourself and you're not talking yourself out of this one.

You say you want to come here and talk basketball but your erroneous claims make that impossible.

You chose the word bucko.... live with it.
Redbirdgrad
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Play Angry » January 28th, 2017, 8:30 am

2017 - 67
2016 - 47
2015 - 17
2014 - 4
2013 - 37
2012 - 12
2011 - 60
2010 - 43
2009 - 158
2008 - 198

3 times in the past 10 years you've been top 30.

This is inaccurate. I believe you may have used a site (perhaps ESPN?) for your historical references which saves its snapshot on Selection Sunday but does not include the postseason (and fails to capture the entire body of work and final RPI).

Here are WSU's year by year final numbers per WarrenNolan for the last 6 complete seasons:

2016: 41
2015: 12
2014: 6
2013: 18
2012: 18
2011: 35

Playing devil's advocate, a claim of perennial top 30 RPI is defensible and certainly not hyperbolic when 4 of the last 5 seasons has comfortably produced that result (with a narrow miss on making it 5 of the last 6).

Back to regularly scheduled programming.
Play Angry
All MVC
All MVC

Postby BirdsEyeView » January 28th, 2017, 9:41 am

Play Angry wrote:
2017 - 67
2016 - 47
2015 - 17
2014 - 4
2013 - 37
2012 - 12
2011 - 60
2010 - 43
2009 - 158
2008 - 198

This is inaccurate. I believe you may have used a site (perhaps ESPN?) for your historical references which saves its snapshot on Selection Sunday but does not include the postseason (and fails to capture the entire body of work and final RPI).

Here are WSU's year by year final numbers per WarrenNolan for the last 6 complete seasons:

Playing devil's advocate, a claim of perennial top 30 RPI is defensible and certainly not hyperbolic when 4 of the last 5 seasons has comfortably produced that result (with a narrow miss on making it 5 of the last 6).

Use ncaa.com as that's the one the selection committee uses. What does that one say?
Play Angry, it appears you may also have just hand-picked Warren Nolan as it's very favorable to WSU.
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BirdsEyeView » January 28th, 2017, 9:44 am

TheObserver wrote:
Redbirds4Life wrote:Troll them for 2 seconds about Charles Koch Arena and watch them lose the crap....

Ok, so we now have a self-admitted troll here from the Redbird side. I'm sure redbirdgrad will scold his own accordingly, since he does a great job at scolding them WSU fans at every turn.

Oh be nice to Redbirds4Life. Otherwise he might try to drive his car into Koch Arena to see if it's as tough as everyone says....that is if his Mommy let's him out past bedtime.

Relax.
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Play Angry » January 28th, 2017, 9:52 am

BirdsEyeView wrote:
Play Angry wrote:
2017 - 67
2016 - 47
2015 - 17
2014 - 4
2013 - 37
2012 - 12
2011 - 60
2010 - 43
2009 - 158
2008 - 198

Use ncaa.com as that's the one the selection committee uses. What does that one say?
Play Angry, it appears you may also have just hand-picked Warren Nolan as it's very favorable to WSU.

You tell me? I spent a half minute searching and did not uncover a readily available link for final RPI rankings for previous seasons on the NCAA.com site, but it was always common practice for RPI publication by the NCAA to halt once the postseason commenced. Do you know that this changed, or are you just assuming it did? Honest question. Links would be helpful - then we could see publication date and whether the records reflected in those rankings reflect the entire season's record. Those at WarrenNolan do, and Live-RPI and other sites would produce nearly identical results to those I posted above (some even more favorable).

I am nearly positive the numbers in Redbirdgrad's post are not inclusive of NCAA/NIT play. I think you jumped the gun here.

Open to being proven wrong if you have the ammo, of course.
Last edited by Play Angry on January 28th, 2017, 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Play Angry
All MVC
All MVC

Postby BirdsEyeView » January 28th, 2017, 9:53 am

TheObserver wrote:
Redbirdgrad wrote:the 12 to 16 has been proven false.

Unless you can predict the future, you haven't proven ****. Everything that's being argued is speculative. It's more about you not wanting to credit WSU for anything, which we all get, because of your passionate hate for them.

Defending the crown again. No counter data or facts to discredit Redbirdgrad...just assumptions to defend WSU.

If he can come up with a way to show our league WILL NOT drop from 12 to 16, then you show how it can please with data, not confrontational words...

We all know losing WSU will hurt, that's not his argument. His argument is showing how far the league WON'T fall when they do leave.

Does this make sense Cdizzle and Observer???
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BirdsEyeView » January 28th, 2017, 10:06 am

Play Angry wrote:
You tell me? I spent a half minute searching and did not uncover a readily available link for final RPI rankings for previous seasons on the NCAA.com site, but it was always common practice for RPI publication by the NCAA to halt once the postseason commenced. Do you know that this changed, or are you just assuming it did? Honest question. Links would be helpful - then we could see publication date and whether the records reflected in those rankings reflect the entire season's record. Those at WarrenNolan do, and Live-RPI and other sites would produce nearly identical results to those I posted above (some even more favorable).

I am nearly positive the numbers in Redbirdgrad's post are not inclusive of NCAA/NIT play. I think you jumped the gun here.

Open to being proven wrong if you have the ammo, of course.

I have no idea where Redbirdgrad's numbers came from. He didn't identify. I can't find it either for NCAA.com over time, but I'm looking from my phone. I was just trying to neutralize the argument using numbers that the Selection Committee reviews that aren't biased in one's favor.
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Play Angry » January 28th, 2017, 10:11 am

Nevermind, I answered my own question.

The NCAA's historical RPI data is a pain in the butt to access. It looks like they now update these after the season (as late as May/June) to bring everything up to date. Here are links for the following seasons with the corresponding rank:

2016 - 41 - https://extra.ncaa.org/solutions/rpi/St ... Gritty.pdf

2015 - 12 - https://extra.ncaa.org/solutions/rpi/St ... Gritty.pdf

2014 - 6 - https://extra.ncaa.org/solutions/rpi/St ... %20RPI.pdf

2013 - 18 - https://extra.ncaa.org/solutions/rpi/St ... %20RPI.pdf

2012 - 18 - https://extra.ncaa.org/solutions/rpi/St ... %20RPI.pdf

2011 - 35 - https://extra.ncaa.org/solutions/rpi/St ... %20RPI.pdf

Note the NCAA ranks above match up exactly with those I provided from WarrenNolan.

BirdsEyeView - do you have proof behind your rebuke and accusation of cherry-picking numbers?

Note that I did not accuse Redbirdgrad of bad faith in his representation of the rankings, and suggested (correctly) the reasoning behind the discrepancy. You should have done the research before making accusations of malintent and cherry-picking.
Play Angry
All MVC
All MVC

Postby BirdsEyeView » January 28th, 2017, 10:17 am

Play Angry wrote:Nevermind, I answered my own question.

The NCAA's historical RPI data is a pain in the butt to access. It looks like they now update these after the season (as late as May/June) to bring everything up to date. Here are links for the following seasons with the corresponding rank:

2016 - 41 - https://extra.ncaa.org/solutions/rpi/St ... Gritty.pdf

2015 - 12 - https://extra.ncaa.org/solutions/rpi/St ... Gritty.pdf

2014 - 6 - https://extra.ncaa.org/solutions/rpi/St ... %20RPI.pdf

2013 - 18 - https://extra.ncaa.org/solutions/rpi/St ... %20RPI.pdf

2012 - 18 - https://extra.ncaa.org/solutions/rpi/St ... %20RPI.pdf

2011 - 35 - https://extra.ncaa.org/solutions/rpi/St ... %20RPI.pdf

Note the NCAA ranks above match up exactly with those I provided from WarrenNolan.

BirdsEyeView - do you have proof behind your rebuke and accusation of cherry-picking numbers?

Note that I did not accuse Redbirdgrad of bad faith in his representation of the rankings, and suggested (correctly) the reasoning behind the discrepancy. You should have done the research before making accusations of malintent and cherry-picking.

Read my above message. Was just neutralizing to what the committee uses. Good find :Cheers:
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball