If Wichita Left.... (RPI Talk)

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: If Wichita Left.... (RPI Talk)

Postby SubGod22 » January 27th, 2017, 10:36 am

Cdizzle wrote:
Redbirds4Life wrote:My whole deal was just wondering if hypothetically UNI/ISU left before Wichita did anything. I think that Wichita would see themselves in a position to get out before it gets any worse.

WSU already sees themselves in a position to get out before it gets any worse.

There has to be somewhere to go.

ISU and UNI aren't waiting on WSU to leave to decide to go FBS. That's not a thing.

You're right in that Wichita isn't waiting for someone else to do something to leave. Wichita will go as soon as someone makes us an offer.

It's been said in the past that UNI could move up to FBS but they didn't want to do so at the cost of basketball. With Wichita having one foot out the door I wouldn't be surprised if UNI isn't working back channels trying to find a willing partner. I think they had a chance at the MAC years ago, but at the time, the MAC was really bad at basketball. The MAC has been improving and if UNI could get in it would give them conference stability. I'm sure ISU would jump on an offer from the MAC as well at this point. Their biggest problems there is that the MAC is already considered full and adding more teams would decrease their payout for the CFP. The additions would either have to increase overall revenue for the conference or at least do no harm to happen. That's kind of the same spot Wichita is in with the AAC, football or not. I've seen debates amongst AAC fans on if we'd add revenue or not. Most seem to think we would add more than we'd take. But those are fans, not presidents.
www.wheatshockers.com

Government does not solve problems; it subsidizes them.

The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help.

Unemployment insurance is a prepaid vacation for freeloaders.
SubGod22
All MVC
All MVC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby LanceShock » January 27th, 2017, 11:40 am

Redbirds4Life wrote:
Cdizzle wrote:
Redbirds4Life wrote:My whole deal was just wondering if hypothetically UNI/ISU left before Wichita did anything. I think that Wichita would see themselves in a position to get out before it gets any worse.

WSU already sees themselves in a position to get out before it gets any worse.

ISU and UNI aren't waiting on WSU to leave to decide to go FBS. That's not a thing.

I get you, but that's why I said hypothetically...my point was that Wichita isn't leaving for sure, but if UNI and ISU did leave, it would more than likely be a certainty Wichita State would leave instantly.

Again, for WSU the problem is having somewhere to go. To this point, we just have a report that the AAC had a discussion related to adding WSU. That is a long way from actually having somewhere to go.

Having UNI/IlSU leave and not having a decent place to leave for would be a nightmare for WSU.
LanceShock
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Cdizzle » January 27th, 2017, 12:53 pm

LanceShock wrote:
Redbirds4Life wrote:
Cdizzle wrote:WSU already sees themselves in a position to get out before it gets any worse.

I get you, but that's why I said hypothetically...my point was that Wichita isn't leaving for sure, but if UNI and ISU did leave, it would more than likely be a certainty Wichita State would leave instantly.

Again, for WSU the problem is having somewhere to go. To this point, we just have a report that the AAC had a discussion related to adding WSU. That is a long way from actually having somewhere to go.

Having UNI/IlSU leave and not having a decent place to leave for would be a nightmare for WSU.

It actually wouldn't be much different than it is right now.

WSU needs to go 17-1 to have a chance at an at-large. It's hard to make situations much worse than that.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby RoyalShock » January 27th, 2017, 1:29 pm

Redbirdgrad wrote:
ShoxNAwe wrote:
Redbirdgrad wrote:This is a tough one. The MVC has survived many name schools leaving, and it's still been able to right the ship.

Not so much. The Valley used to be the #1 conference in the country. If you all want to fight over being 12th or 14th or 16th if/when WSU departs, enjoy your boatride in the toilet.

LOL. The Valley isn't going into the toilet with just Wichita leaving and adding another team in (if that even happens).

Now, if that move causes a UNI and ISU or others to improve into FBS for football and make a conference move due to that as well... then we're talking.

But Wichita alone wont tank the Valley.

What is your definition of "going into the toilet"?

One could argue that being a perennial 1-bid league, whether ranked 12th in the RPI or 16th, is the toilet. It might not be the out-of-order, won't flush the crap in it, toilet the SWAC is swimming in, but a toilet, nonetheless. Maybe just a urinal, where the urinal cake is the hope of the one-bid team getting an 11 or 12 seed instead of 13.
RoyalShock
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby Redbirdgrad » January 27th, 2017, 1:40 pm

ShoxNAwe wrote: If you all want to fight over being 12th or 14th or 16th if/when WSU departs, enjoy your boatride in the toilet.

I guess we have to ask ShoxNAwe since he was the first to use the term.

As it stands now, today, the Valley is scrapping and clawing to have an at-large team with 2 teams being 16-4 and 17-4. If Wichita left, and next year ISU and Northern Iowa (or any two teams) were 16-4 and 17-4 and we were still scrapping and clawing to get into the dance as an at-large... how has this changed our current conference outlook?

The middle of the conference improving has way more to do with the MVC becoming relevant again than plucking the cherry off the top and replacing them.
Redbirdgrad
All MVC
All MVC

Postby BirdsEyeView » January 27th, 2017, 2:20 pm

Redbirdgrad wrote:The middle of the conference improving has way more to do with the MVC becoming relevant again than plucking the cherry off the top and replacing them.

This....well as long as these fans understood what you meant by "plucking the cherry off the top and replacing them"

This is a funny dynamic of back n forth between Shocker fans trying to justify their importance to the league and other fans showing them how things won't change all that much from it's current state.
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Ricardo del Rio » January 27th, 2017, 2:21 pm

esoteric from my knothole.
Ricardo del Rio
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby shocktheheart » January 27th, 2017, 2:22 pm

BirdsEyeView wrote:
Redbirdgrad wrote:The middle of the conference improving has way more to do with the MVC becoming relevant again than plucking the cherry off the top and replacing them.

This....well as long as these fans understood what you meant by "plucking the cherry off the top and replacing them"

This is a funny dynamic of back n forth between Shocker fans trying to justify their importance to the league and other fans showing them how things won't change all that much from it's current state.

Hopefully the league can prove that it won't mean much once Wichita leaves. I would be all for that experiment.
“I’m gonna punch you in the ovary, that’s what I’m gonna do. A straight shot, right to the babymaker.”
shocktheheart
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Cdizzle » January 27th, 2017, 2:27 pm

The cherry is on the top because they organically became nationally relevant. Plucking that cherry off the top doesn't mean 2nd place suddenly becomes good enough to be nationally relevant.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Redbirdgrad » January 27th, 2017, 2:33 pm

Cdizzle wrote:The cherry is on the top because they organically became nationally relevant. Plucking that cherry off the top doesn't mean 2nd place suddenly becomes good enough to be nationally relevant.

Nationally relevant and statistically relevant are two way different things. We're talking about the latter here, no?
Redbirdgrad
All MVC
All MVC

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball