If Wichita Left.... (RPI Talk)

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: If Wichita Left.... (RPI Talk)

Postby BirdsEyeView » January 28th, 2017, 10:25 am

Play Angry wrote:I am not sure what you mean by neutralize - if that means suggesting I was wrong and willfully chose numbers that are biased (your words, not mine) in favor of my point, I would call it something else. You made a baseless, incorrect and uninformed accusation.

I am glad we got the true data though.

Stop getting all worked up. I basically assumed Warren Nolan numbers were not equivalent to NCAAs, which I now know is incorrect. So I apologize.

This is no different than your fellow Shocker fans who make assumptions ALL THE TIME. Call them out for it too.

I apologized, there was no ill will to it. Just relax. My God you Shocker Fans are so tightly wound.
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby TheObserver » January 28th, 2017, 10:27 am

BirdsEyeView wrote:
TheObserver wrote:
Redbirdgrad wrote:the 12 to 16 has been proven false.

Unless you can predict the future, you haven't proven ****. Everything that's being argued is speculative. It's more about you not wanting to credit WSU for anything, which we all get, because of your passionate hate for them.

Defending the crown again. No counter data or facts to discredit Redbirdgrad...just assumptions to defend WSU.

If he can come up with a way to show our league WILL NOT drop from 12 to 16, then you show how it can please with data, not confrontational words...

We all know losing WSU will hurt, that's not his argument. His argument is showing how far the league WON'T fall when they do leave.

Does this make sense Cdizzle and Observer???

What aren't you understanding BirdsEye? He didn't come up with any data supporting a future prediction. Just because he put a spreadsheet of numbers together based on assumptions doesn't mean he proved anything. By his own admission, he assumed several key factors when compiling his "data".

We will never know the true answer to the question until it actually happens or doesn't happen. Until now, he can't PROVE anything. He can claim what he wants, just like I can. And of course, he's going to be contrarian to anything that elevates WSU. That's the only FACT.
TheObserver
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Play Angry » January 28th, 2017, 10:29 am

BirdsEyeView wrote:
Play Angry wrote:I am not sure what you mean by neutralize - if that means suggesting I was wrong and willfully chose numbers that are biased (your words, not mine) in favor of my point, I would call it something else. You made a baseless, incorrect and uninformed accusation.

I am glad we got the true data though.

Stop getting all worked up. I basically assumed Warren Nolan numbers were not equivalent to NCAAs, which I now know is incorrect. So I apologize.

This is no different than your fellow Shocker fans who make assumptions ALL THE TIME. Call them out for it too.

I apologized, there was no ill will to it. Just relax. My God you Shocker Fans are so tightly wound.

Not worked up at all. The board appears to be making strides in civility recently, just hoping the momentum is preserved.

Apology accepted.

:Cheers:
Play Angry
All MVC
All MVC

Postby TheObserver » January 28th, 2017, 10:30 am

BirdsEyeView wrote: Just relax. My God you Shocker Fans are so tightly wound.

Seriously? This last statement was totally unnecessary and totally hypocritical. retire12 may be the most tightly wound human being on the planet. You're not too far behind. Just because PA responded with facts, without going into a 10 paragraph novel laced with personal attacks, doesn't mean he's "tightly wound". If you're going to make those kind of statements, look toward your own partner in crime. Seriously.
TheObserver
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby BirdsEyeView » January 28th, 2017, 10:40 am

TheObserver wrote:
BirdsEyeView wrote:
Defending the crown again. No counter data or facts to discredit Redbirdgrad...just assumptions to defend WSU.

If he can come up with a way to show our league WILL NOT drop from 12 to 16, then you show how it can please with data, not confrontational words...

We all know losing WSU will hurt, that's not his argument. His argument is showing how far the league WON'T fall when they do leave.

Does this make sense Cdizzle and Observer???

What aren't you understanding BirdsEye? He didn't come up with any data supporting a future prediction. Just because he put a spreadsheet of numbers together based on assumptions doesn't mean he proved anything. By his own admission, he assumed several key factors when compiling his "data".

We will never know the true answer to the question until it actually happens or doesn't happen. Until now, he can't PROVE anything. He can claim what he wants, just like I can. And of course, he's going to be contrarian to anything that elevates WSU. That's the only FACT.

It's been shown how HUGE of a drop 12 to 16 can be...it's unrealistic to happen, especially considering how down the rest of the conference has already been the past few years.

The data is impossible to be perfect with so many unknowns, but it does show how difficult the drop would be. Something you guys have failed to acknowledge as you continue to deflect.

Yes Wichita would be greatly, greatly missed...but losing them won't make the conference drop 4 RPI levels.

8-12 is very close in RPI
12-16 is much further apart
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BirdsEyeView » January 28th, 2017, 10:42 am

TheObserver wrote:

Seriously? This last statement was totally unnecessary and totally hypocritical. retire12 may be the most tightly wound human being on the planet. You're not too far behind. Just because PA responded with facts, without going into a 10 paragraph novel laced with personal attacks, doesn't mean he's "tightly wound". If you're going to make those kind of statements, look toward your own partner in crime. Seriously.

He gets worked up as well.

CDizzle yesterday was totally defensive for no reason. I'm just trying to calm you guys down over these hypothetical, meaningless arguments that everyone has been having lately.
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Wufan » January 28th, 2017, 10:45 am

BirdsEyeView wrote:
TheObserver wrote:

He gets worked up as well.

CDizzle yesterday was totally defensive for no reason. I'm just trying to calm you guys down over these hypothetical, meaningless arguments that everyone has been having lately.

I don't think telling people to calm down by starting with, "My God" is a good way to lower tensions. Perhaps a more appropriate tone in your post would?

Also, saying relax and calm down can come across as very condescending. Not always, but sometimes.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Play Angry » January 28th, 2017, 10:47 am

I do have a serious Q - why do fans of other schools (including the redbirds) not simply "foe" the various iterations of TheObserver since he gets under their skin? It seems like it would save a lot of heartburn and would cut down on a lot of the back and forth. If it's enjoyable engaging with somebody, by all means, go ahead. If it's a source of constant frustration and is viewed as a net negative, why not just abstain by making those posts invisible?

Just thinking out loud. Seems like some of the spillover could be easily contained.

That said, sometimes I enjoy the spillover, and I have never foe'd anyone here.
Play Angry
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Redbirdgrad » January 28th, 2017, 10:49 am

Play Angry wrote:Nevermind, I answered my own question.

The NCAA's historical RPI data is a pain in the butt to access. It looks like they now update these after the season (as late as May/June) to bring everything up to date. Here are links for the following seasons with the corresponding rank:

2016 - 41 - https://extra.ncaa.org/solutions/rpi/St ... Gritty.pdf

2015 - 12 - https://extra.ncaa.org/solutions/rpi/St ... Gritty.pdf

2014 - 6 - https://extra.ncaa.org/solutions/rpi/St ... %20RPI.pdf

2013 - 18 - https://extra.ncaa.org/solutions/rpi/St ... %20RPI.pdf

2012 - 18 - https://extra.ncaa.org/solutions/rpi/St ... %20RPI.pdf

2011 - 35 - https://extra.ncaa.org/solutions/rpi/St ... %20RPI.pdf

Note the NCAA ranks above match up exactly with those I provided from WarrenNolan.

BirdsEyeView - do you have proof behind your rebuke and accusation of cherry-picking numbers?

Note that I did not accuse Redbirdgrad of bad faith in his representation of the rankings, and suggested (correctly) the reasoning behind the discrepancy. You should have done the research before making accusations of malintent and cherry-picking.

Thanks for doing research with me Play Angry instead of throwing around words and facts like Championz and not having anything to base them on.

I used realtimerpi, and you're correct, while that site includes conference tournaments, it does not include postseason play. The NCAA figures you used is a better representation.

That being said, I still stand by my argument for 2 reasons.

1. Perennial is defined as continually recurring. If I put a perennial plant in the ground and it only comes up 4 out of 6 years, I'm pretty ticked off.

2. We're still cherry picking numbers here. This year, RPIforecast expects you at a 46ish RPI to end the year. That is not top 30. You use the next 6 years of data to get 4 out of 6 top 30's, and then if you look back a few more years, you're not top 30.

All I'm asking is that when we're making arguments around here and trying to represent things, we do it accurately. Observer was trying to make a point look stronger by throwing that word in, when it's woefully inaccurate.
Redbirdgrad
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Play Angry » January 28th, 2017, 10:51 am

Yea, it's all about framing and context.

4 out of the last 5 years is decent support for a claim of consistency.

4 out of the last 10 years dilutes that claim significantly.

I don't think that either is wrong when viewed through its preferred timeframe. It is kind of fun to hash through the numbers though.

:Cheers:
Play Angry
All MVC
All MVC

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball