Toughest Buildings in the MVC

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Toughest Buildings in the MVC

Postby ahunte1 » February 3rd, 2017, 10:19 am

It's not always easy for the Ramblers to win at Gentile on a winter weeknight when there are no students and 500 quiet fans in attendance.
ahunte1
MVC starter
MVC starter

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Bradleyfan1 » February 3rd, 2017, 11:31 pm

ahunte1 wrote:It's not always easy for the Ramblers to win at Gentile on a winter weeknight when there are no students and 500 quiet fans in attendance.

We are a nice draw for you, your welcome .
Bradleyfan1
All MVC
All MVC

Postby ShoxNAwe » February 5th, 2017, 1:02 pm

Nothing like having your competition lay a debate to rest. Here's Dan Muller on Koch Arena:

“That was an old-fashioned butt whipping in every way imaginable,” said Dan Muller, who suffered his worst loss in five years as ISU’s coach. “Clearly the first 10-11 minutes we were solid, but we did not handle adversity well. The crowd was unbelievable, and that’s a credit to their players.

Paris Lee, “They did a good job on ball-screen defense and a good job at the rim contesting shots. They came ready to play. We didn’t,” said Lee. “I think crowd had something to do with it.

And from Teddy Hawkins, “Give credit to them. They came out ready to play and the crowd was awesome,” said Hawkins.

Indeed, the ISU players were bouncing around during warmups, clearly absorbing the energy in Koch Arena. I suspect Hawkins was reminded of why he chose to come to WSU initially.
ShoxNAwe
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby TSmithBJJ » February 5th, 2017, 2:16 pm

Redbirds4Life wrote:1. Redbird Arena
2. Charles Koch Arena
3. SIU Arena
4. Carver Arena
5. McLeod Center
6. Knapp Center
7. JHQ Arena
8. Gentile Arena
9. Ford Center
10. Hullman Center

:dance:

Top 5 are:
1.Koch Arena
2. SIU Arena
3. McLeod Center
4. Redbird Arena
5. Knapp Center

*The rest are irrelevant and don't play much of a factor, IMO.

:rock:
BJJ, Muay Thai, and MMA.... (and MVC basketball).
TSmithBJJ
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby Old School MVC » February 5th, 2017, 2:41 pm

ShoxNAwe wrote:Indeed, the ISU players were bouncing around during warmups, clearly absorbing the energy in Koch Arena. I suspect Hawkins was reminded of why he chose to come to WSU initially.

I didn't think Marshall recruited guys with character issues?
Old School MVC
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Wufan » February 5th, 2017, 2:57 pm

Old School MVC wrote:
ShoxNAwe wrote:Indeed, the ISU players were bouncing around during warmups, clearly absorbing the energy in Koch Arena. I suspect Hawkins was reminded of why he chose to come to WSU initially.

I didn't think Marshall recruited guys with character issues?

Oh, he recruits them! They rarely end up at WSU for one reason or another. I think it's fair to say that if Hawkins had sorted out his academics in a timely manner, he would have been at WSU. The fact that he didn't, was a pretty good indication that he had some growing up to do. He's still working through that.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby ShoxNAwe » February 5th, 2017, 3:17 pm

Clearly, Hawkins is/was better at hiding it than others. Muller knew about the issues and still recruited him. Care to comment on that?
ShoxNAwe
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Old School MVC » February 5th, 2017, 3:26 pm

ShoxNAwe wrote:Clearly, Hawkins is/was better at hiding it than others. Muller knew about the issues and still recruited him. Care to comment on that?

Never have and never will defend a coach who has no discipline on his team. Who knows, maybe that is why Hawkins chose to switch teams. Saw the writing on the wall. As I have stated before, what coaches do not condemn, they are condoning. Right or wrong at the college level is another question for another thread.

But to get back on subject, how would any player who visits the Roundhouse chose against WSU? It is truly one of the best atmospheres in the country and definitely the best int he Valley!
Old School MVC
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby shockem » February 6th, 2017, 5:30 pm

I's say most of the recruiting battles we lose are to P5 programs. Some kids just want that name on the jersey. We lost 2 guys that are riding the pine at Kentucky.
shockem
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Wufan » February 12th, 2017, 8:49 pm

From today's Wichita Eagle:

The Shockers improved to 52-8 in MVC road games over the past seven seasons, a winning percentage (86.) that is higher than any other MVC member’s at home during that stretch.

Read more here: http://www.kansas.com/sports/college/wi ... rylink=cpy
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Previous

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball