Toughest Buildings in the MVC

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Toughest Buildings in the MVC

Postby ShoxNAwe » January 26th, 2017, 9:45 pm

From a very biased observer: An ISU Rebird fan was in Wichita a couple of weeks ago and attended a game - obviously not an ISUr game. Now, this person had worked in the ISUr athletic department and in media for many years, and called a local radio show while here to give his opinion.

And what was it? That WSU runs a first class college basketball "show" and is everything that a college basketball environment should be. His vote? WSU's Koch Arena is the best.
ShoxNAwe
MVC starter
MVC starter

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Redbird Recon » January 26th, 2017, 10:22 pm

I've been to all but Koch, obviously the best home court advantage in The Valley.

Carver is a large venue designed for hockey and concerts. When it's full, it's a great place to watch a game.

Knapp is small-time but has incredibly friendly fans.

Ford is a very nice, new place. It's just really, really empty most of the time.

RBA is a near perfect venue in terms of sight lines. Local traction issues make it quiet most the time.

Hulman is a hot box. Not a bad place to watch a game. Orange and yellow seats gives it a weird feel.

Gentile is small-time but does a great job with color scheme. Renovation is night and day.

JQH is a palace. A very empty palace, but a palace nonetheless.

McLeod is cool. Bowl setup gives the feeling of playing in a pit. Wooden student section is cool.

SIU is pretty meh. It's a nice place, definitely top half, but the layout has some bad viewing angles.
Twitter: @RedbirdRecon
Blog: redbirdrecon.blogspot.com
Redbird Recon
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Redbirds4Life » January 27th, 2017, 8:50 am

I agree with the fact that Carver holds hockey games, hockey fans can be ruthless. If I ever do a revised version of the definitive Valley Home Court Rankings, I will have no choice to place them higher. I'm so surprised so many of you are getting all hot about Koch, 2nd isn't bad...and it is a truly tough building to win at. It just isn't 1st, that's all. And btw, Birds go to Koch next week, if it is such a tough venue, they should have no problem beating Illinois State....Koch should be at its building rocking best....

If you guys all want to get really technical about this, Scottrade Center is the toughest building in the Valley....got to win 3 and its not easy. Not too many teams have phenomenal records there... So revised-ish - Scottrade-RBA-Koch....top 3 for sure.

*As for you asking, can I drive? The answer is yup, sure can.
Redbirds4Life
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby sivert » January 27th, 2017, 10:11 am

TheObserver wrote:What does the data say?

A lot of people saying, "Koch." But is their because of the team or the arena?

Data wise, I think we're looking for the team with the greatest difference between home win% and away win%.
Go Panthers!!
sivert
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Cdizzle » January 27th, 2017, 10:17 am

sivert wrote:

Data wise, I think we're looking for the team with the greatest difference between home win% and away win%.

Yes. That is a great metric.

I would actually be curious to see those numbers across conferences. I would wager the winner would very frequently be teams in the middle or upper-middle of their league. Good enough to win quite a few games at home, crappy enough to lose a lot of games on the road.

Chicken. Egg.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BirdsEyeView » January 27th, 2017, 10:24 am

Redbirds4Life wrote:I agree with the fact that Carver holds hockey games, hockey fans can be ruthless. If I ever do a revised version of the definitive Valley Home Court Rankings, I will have no choice to place them higher. I'm so surprised so many of you are getting all hot about Koch, 2nd isn't bad...and it is a truly tough building to win at. It just isn't 1st, that's all. And btw, Birds go to Koch next week, if it is such a tough venue, they should have no problem beating Illinois State....Koch should be at its building rocking best....

If you guys all want to get really technical about this, Scottrade Center is the toughest building in the Valley....got to win 3 and its not easy. Not too many teams have phenomenal records there... So revised-ish - Scottrade-RBA-Koch....top 3 for sure.

You are amazing comedic relief. Glad to hear you can drive, just don't actually drive your car into Redbird Arena...
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby shocktheheart » January 27th, 2017, 10:30 am

sivert wrote:

I would say it is both because of the arena and the team. WSU has been one of the best road teams in the country the last five years. So the data would say there isn't a big difference between home and away, but they had one of the longest home winning streaks until UNI broke it last year. Their home court advantage is second to none in the Valley.
“I’m gonna punch you in the ovary, that’s what I’m gonna do. A straight shot, right to the babymaker.”
shocktheheart
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Redbirds4Life » January 27th, 2017, 10:59 am

BirdsEyeView wrote:
Redbirds4Life wrote:I agree with the fact that Carver holds hockey games, hockey fans can be ruthless. If I ever do a revised version of the definitive Valley Home Court Rankings, I will have no choice to place them higher. I'm so surprised so many of you are getting all hot about Koch, 2nd isn't bad...and it is a truly tough building to win at. It just isn't 1st, that's all. And btw, Birds go to Koch next week, if it is such a tough venue, they should have no problem beating Illinois State....Koch should be at its building rocking best....

You are amazing comedic relief. Glad to hear you can drive, just don't actually drive your car into Redbird Arena...

I appreciate you caring enough for me not to drive my car into RBA, but I would never want to take a chance on damage being done to that glorious venue...#ProtectTheNest
Redbirds4Life
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Cdizzle » January 27th, 2017, 11:05 am

Redbirds4Life wrote:
BirdsEyeView wrote:

I appreciate you caring enough for me not to drive my car into RBA, but I would never want to take a chance on damage being done to that glorious venue...#ProtectTheNest

I'm gonna guess BirdsEye is more concerned about the building.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BirdsEyeView » January 27th, 2017, 11:10 am

Cdizzle wrote:
Redbirds4Life wrote:
BirdsEyeView wrote:

I'm gonna guess BirdsEye is more concerned about the building.

Not necessarily....he is an enjoyment to my day as well with his posts.
I do care about you Redbirds4Life. Keep posting, just be sure your teacher doesn't catch you doing it.
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball