Toughest Buildings in the MVC

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Toughest Buildings in the MVC

Postby Shockerfan13 » January 27th, 2017, 11:14 am

Redbirds4Life wrote:I agree with the fact that Carver holds hockey games, hockey fans can be ruthless. If I ever do a revised version of the definitive Valley Home Court Rankings, I will have no choice to place them higher. I'm so surprised so many of you are getting all hot about Koch, 2nd isn't bad...and it is a truly tough building to win at. It just isn't 1st, that's all. And btw, Birds go to Koch next week, if it is such a tough venue, they should have no problem beating Illinois State....Koch should be at its building rocking best....

If you guys all want to get really technical about this, Scottrade Center is the toughest building in the Valley....got to win 3 and its not easy. Not too many teams have phenomenal records there... So revised-ish - Scottrade-RBA-Koch....top 3 for sure.

*As for you asking, can I drive? The answer is yup, sure can.

You are correct, WSU will not have too much trouble beating ISUr in Koch Arena. Especially since obviously WSU arrow is pointing up while ISUr arrow is pointing down. It will be the begin of a little slump for ISUr in which WSU will again win the regular season championship.

Hope you enjoyed your time in the sun

Just my opinion. Just like you have yours about where is the toughest venue to play.
Shockerfan13
All MVC
All MVC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby BirdsEyeView » January 27th, 2017, 11:16 am

Shockerfan13 wrote:
Redbirds4Life wrote:I agree with the fact that Carver holds hockey games, hockey fans can be ruthless. If I ever do a revised version of the definitive Valley Home Court Rankings, I will have no choice to place them higher. I'm so surprised so many of you are getting all hot about Koch, 2nd isn't bad...and it is a truly tough building to win at. It just isn't 1st, that's all. And btw, Birds go to Koch next week, if it is such a tough venue, they should have no problem beating Illinois State....Koch should be at its building rocking best....

If you guys all want to get really technical about this, Scottrade Center is the toughest building in the Valley....got to win 3 and its not easy. Not too many teams have phenomenal records there... So revised-ish - Scottrade-RBA-Koch....top 3 for sure.

You are correct, WSU will not have too much trouble beating ISUr in Koch Arena. Especially since obviously WSU arrow is pointing up while ISUr arrow is pointing down. It will be the begin of a little slump for ISUr in which WSU will again win the regular season championship.

Just my opinion. Just like you have yours about where is the toughest venue to play.

Nice.
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Cdizzle » January 27th, 2017, 11:18 am

I hope no one is hurt when these two run in to each other.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Redbirds4Life » January 27th, 2017, 11:20 am

Shockerfan13 wrote:

Oh wow....
Redbirds4Life
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby oneNEIGHBOR » January 27th, 2017, 11:20 am

Cdizzle wrote:
sivert wrote:
TheObserver wrote:What does the data say?

A lot of people saying, "Koch." But is their because of the team or the arena?

Data wise, I think we're looking for the team with the greatest difference between home win% and away win%.

Yes. That is a great metric.

I would actually be curious to see those numbers across conferences. I would wager the winner would very frequently be teams in the middle or upper-middle of their league. Good enough to win quite a few games at home, crappy enough to lose a lot of games on the road.

Chicken. Egg.

Margin of victory could play into this as well. If a team is winning on the road by an average of 5, but then killing teams at home by 25, then that might tell a story. Knowing you could go into an arena and walk away with a 40 point loss is intimidating.
Go Shockers!
Ready for some basketball!
oneNEIGHBOR
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby BirdsEyeView » January 27th, 2017, 11:26 am

Redbirds4Life wrote:
Shockerfan13 wrote:

Oh wow....
Attachments
409.gif
409.gif (103.51 KiB) Viewed 1695 times
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Wufan » January 27th, 2017, 12:14 pm

What I have seen, when ranking tough arenas, is that a combination of subjective and objective metric is used. Usually, this entails capacity size of building, % of capacity, noise, intimidation, and record. Koch is at the top of the MVC because of noise, crowd size, and capacity.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Ricardo del Rio » January 27th, 2017, 2:26 pm

Redbirds4Life wrote:What does the data say?

The data says that Dirty Dan's Birds are unbeaten in Normal this season and 17 in a row going back to last....

RBA is not now...nor has ever been a tougher place to play than the Koch!

Just because the shockers have been good for a while now, doesn't mean the Charles Joke is the toughest.....and its not like I said it wasn't tough, 2nd behind RBA must mean its pretty tough...

Why the insult?
Ricardo del Rio
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Redbirds4Life » January 27th, 2017, 2:53 pm

Ricardo del Rio wrote:
Redbirds4Life wrote:What does the data say?

The data says that Dirty Dan's Birds are unbeaten in Normal this season and 17 in a row going back to last....

RBA is not now...nor has ever been a tougher place to play than the Koch!

Just because the shockers have been good for a while now, doesn't mean the Charles Joke is the toughest.....and its not like I said it wasn't tough, 2nd behind RBA must mean its pretty tough...

Why the insult?

1. Don't think I insulted anyone with that.

2. Check the middle line on your quote, not something I would have said.
Redbirds4Life
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby TheObserver » January 27th, 2017, 3:02 pm

Redbirds4Life,

Did you just start watching basketball 12 months ago?
TheObserver
MVC starter
MVC starter

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball