Second half of League play begins: MVC Game 10

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Second half of League play begins: MVC Game 10

Postby bleach » January 29th, 2017, 2:29 pm

MSUDuo wrote:
James_SIU wrote:Lusk seemed rather angry during the post game handshake. Hinson addressed it post game but said he had no idea why he was angry. He knows it wasn't directed at him or a Salukis player though. Anybody know the reason or here Lusk talk about it post game?

Because he knows he sucks?

We have a winner!!!!
Does he know it though? Has anyone told him? Would he believe them?
bleach
All MVC
All MVC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby bleach » January 29th, 2017, 2:31 pm

Rambler63 wrote:This is a serious question, and not meant to be a dig or an insult. Why does Missouri State keep getting blown out in 2nd halves? They were up by 9 at halftime to DePaul and lost by 2. They were up by 5 at halftime against Valpo and lost by 3. They were up by 17 at halftime at UNI, and barely held on to win by 4. They were up by 11 at Loyola and lost by 6. They were up by 8 at halftime against Indiana State, got forced to OT, and eventually won by 6. And today they were winning by 12 at the half.

They've outscored their opponents by 205 points in first halves of games this season, but they've been outscored by 17 in second halves. That's kind of weird. And I've watched several of these games and can't figure out why. Any ideas?

Lusk said he didn't realize it was happening then said it was because they moved to the other end of the court. NOT joking.
bleach
All MVC
All MVC

Postby bleach » January 29th, 2017, 2:38 pm

WSpringsBird wrote:
BEARZ77 wrote:Unless you see Lusk on a consistent basis it's hard to realize how absolutely terrible he is at his craft. Being a coaches son and around basketball his entire life, he knows coach speak and that's what you hear when he's interviewed. It sounds like he knows something but it's like it's just preprogrammed and scripted and it never really addresses what has transpired. He consistently gets beat at halftime adjustments and is the epitome of someone who once he has a lead, becomes increasingly conservative,coaches not to lose , and ultimately does. Typically down the stretch at crunch time you will see whomever we are playing consistently attack the rim, play inside out as you should, and have productive possessions, while we milk the clock with useless dribble and become jump shot dependent at the end of the possession. That is a recipe for losing tight games and Lusk is a master chef.

Honestly I think we will go no better than 3-5 probably 2-6 or worse down the stretch. They will be mostly tight games except a blowout at WSU, but our script is well established. Most Bears fans are in that terrible purgatory of not wanting to see the team lose, but not agonizing about it either because we need to be bad enough[ play in round] to generate the kind of pressure on AD Moats to make a move. If we don't have much turnover, a new coach could do well quickly with the roster in place as the only significant loss is Miller. And as tough a little dude as Miller is, he makes terrible decisions down the stretch in most games as the epitome of the inefficient stretch drive Lusk offense.

I'll certainly defer to longtime Bears fans, who seem unanimous that he is a bad coach, but I thought MSU looked really good in Normal. There's a lot of talent on that team. Perhaps that talent level sometimes masks the poor coaching.

Watch that game again and see how many incredible plays our TALENT made and how few if any plays our "offense" got us. This team is VERY skilled but has zero focus or positive influence that comes from coaching.
bleach
All MVC
All MVC

Re: Second half of League play begins: MVC Week 10

Postby BradleyFan71 » January 29th, 2017, 3:53 pm

Redbirdgrad wrote:Sunday

Wichita St @ Bradley
Wichita by 40. Wichita needs to get these D-2 schools off of their schedule.

I'm not saying Bradley can't get outscored by 45+ in the 2nd half, but I don't see it happening.
Hopefully, this will convince the administration to stay with D-1 athletics! :roll:
BradleyFan71
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby anderjao » January 29th, 2017, 4:21 pm

TheObserver wrote:Speaking of putting words into peoples' mouths, who on here has said they were worried about UNI? I'm certainly not and don't think many others have said as much either. You are what your record says you are. Your record has declared that UNI is not very good, not me. Sorry if that's difficult to comprehend.

I'm a UNI fan. UNI is not the best team in the Valley. It's not the second best team in the Valley. I don't think we're gonna get to 20 wins. We're not gonna make the sweet sixteen. We lost a lot of games, and some of them to very bad teams.

But I think we have reason to hope. I think a lot of our issues during our losing streak were mental and because of inexperience. What's changed during our win streak isn't the offense--we still have concerning stretches where we can't score--but the defense. And that's classic UNI basketball. It's unlikely, but I think it would be sweet if UNI ran the table in St. Louis and the Valley carved out 3 bids in the NCAA. I'm not saying it's going to happen, but it could.

As for your record comment, the biggest reason I still find reason to hope our season might be salvaged is that last year, on January 26th, UNI was 10-11. That team went into Koch Arena and ended WSU's home winning streak. They only lost one more game before their historic collapse against Texas A&M. I'm not saying they'll do it again, but I think we could have some interested games down the stretch that should be fun to watch.
anderjao
MVC Walk On
MVC Walk On

Postby sivert » January 29th, 2017, 5:05 pm

Khan4Cats wrote:
sivert wrote:
Khan4Cats wrote:Well, UNI has had a nice run but no way they stay within 30 of the Redbirds and their star-studded line-up.

Wednesday will show us a lot about UNI and how their defense is solidifying.

Nope. It's already been determined that UNI is just not a good team and certainly not capable of hanging with either of the front-runners.

Throwing in the towel?
Sarcastic?
Not getting your hopes up?

Anyway, to build on what anderjao just said, I think things are coming together for a lot of the guys and team.
Luke, Klint, Jordan, and Bennett all have showed a lot of improvement over the last several games.
Team defense getting it figured out, also. (This is why I said Wednesday will show us a lot.)
UNI is playing a lot of kids who are new to Jacobson's system and new to D-1 basketball.
Go Panthers!!
sivert
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Rollbird5 » January 29th, 2017, 5:11 pm

Redbirds win @Evansville. McIntosh didn't play due to a sore knee. Tough game to watch as the refs didn't allow for any flow of the game. Had to have been close to 50 fouls.
Rollbird5
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Redbirdgrad » January 29th, 2017, 5:18 pm

Solid win on the road without MM. You can tell our guys were looking for him today. Fayne stepped up and played well. What a horribly officiated game though. Players had no clue what they could and couldn't do all day. Didn't favor either team but it was tough to watch.

Nice win Shockers. Anytime Bradley loses its a good day!!!
Redbirdgrad
All MVC
All MVC

Postby mule » January 29th, 2017, 5:40 pm

Redbirdgrad wrote:Solid win on the road without MM. You can tell our guys were looking for him today. Fayne stepped up and played well. What a horribly officiated game though. Players had no clue what they could and couldn't do all day. Didn't favor either team but it was tough to watch.

It was even tougher to watch the game in person.
mule
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby Redbirdgrad » January 29th, 2017, 5:50 pm

mule wrote:
Redbirdgrad wrote:Solid win on the road without MM. You can tell our guys were looking for him today. Fayne stepped up and played well. What a horribly officiated game though. Players had no clue what they could and couldn't do all day. Didn't favor either team but it was tough to watch.

It was even tougher to watch the game in person.

Feel sorry for you mule.
Redbirdgrad
All MVC
All MVC

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball