Arch madness seeding

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Arch madness seeding

Postby BirdsEyeView » January 30th, 2017, 1:27 pm

Play Angry wrote:
Khan4Cats wrote:
The anticipated top two teams are usually given the ends of the arena that face the cameras behind the benches (center section is VIP and the area immediately behind the benches are for families/AD). This is done on the expectation that the top two seeds will make the final and the visual for TV will be solid. The rest of the seating is rotated among the schools as to who is in front and who is in back, but usually those schools will be on the camera side of the court.

Yep, I'm aware that is arranged for optics on CBS but it is a real crap sandwich reward for a team that travels well, especially when you spend every game looking at the several dozen fans from the < 250 ticket sales schools occupying low row seats adjacent to center court.

It is dumb and disincentivizes attendance for the top traveling teams. Rather than catering to a 9 seed who will bring fifty non-relatives to the tournament, the league should enhance turnout from the schools bringing 2k+ all-session purchasers in an effort to squeeze an extra 500+ attendees from those institutions.

I agree Play Angry, well said. Your thought process for increasing ticket sales makes complete sense by generating more from those top teams who know they have a better chance of making it deep into the weekend.
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby SubGod22 » January 30th, 2017, 1:32 pm

I typically ended up with better seats by buying them there than what I was given through pre-order. Though I've stopped going to the tournament, but not because of the $hitty seats.
www.wheatshockers.com

Government does not solve problems; it subsidizes them.

The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help.

Unemployment insurance is a prepaid vacation for freeloaders.
SubGod22
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Red » January 31st, 2017, 11:33 am

1, 2, 3 spots are all but decided statistically. Who is #1 should be fun finding out.
Red
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Cdizzle » January 31st, 2017, 11:34 am

I wouldn't count the 3 seed as being decided yet.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby SalukiHoops » February 1st, 2017, 9:05 am

Red wrote:1, 2, 3 spots are all but decided statistically. Who is #1 should be fun finding out.

The 3 is up for grabs still. Loyola is the frontrunner, but Missouri St, SIU, UNI, & Drake still fighting for it. If SIU wins tonight then it will be interesting to see the SIU @ LU on Sat.
SalukiHoops
SalukiHoops
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby hot nuts » February 1st, 2017, 9:24 am

SalukiHoops wrote:The 3 is up for grabs still. Loyola is the frontrunner, but Missouri St, SIU, UNI, & Drake still fighting for it. If SIU wins tonight then it will be interesting to see the SIU @ LU on Sat.

That should be a heck of a game on Saturday...looking forward to it! All along I kinda figured SIU and LU were the 3rd and 4th best teams, but a few others are obviously in the mix.
hot nuts
All MVC
All MVC

Postby ahunte1 » February 1st, 2017, 9:53 am

hot nuts wrote:
SalukiHoops wrote:The 3 is up for grabs still. Loyola is the frontrunner, but Missouri St, SIU, UNI, & Drake still fighting for it. If SIU wins tonight then it will be interesting to see the SIU @ LU on Sat.

That should be a heck of a game on Saturday...looking forward to it! All along I kinda figured SIU and LU were the 3rd and 4th best teams, but a few others are obviously in the mix.

MSU has the disadvantage of facing Wichita/ILSt three times in their seven remaining games. There's a possibility that third place could come down to Loyola vs SIU in Carbondale on the final day of the season.

Although as of now, Loyola leads the RPI race against the other third place contenders as well and has season splits with UNI and MSU.
ahunte1
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby chitown fanatic » February 1st, 2017, 2:00 pm

SIU will not be involved in any 3rd place discussions....they will be much closer to play-in status. Loyola is your 3rd place front runner
chitown fanatic
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Redbirds4Life » February 1st, 2017, 2:41 pm

chitown fanatic wrote:SIU will not be involved in any 3rd place discussions....they will be much closer to play-in status. Loyola is your 3rd place front runner

Let's be real, that 3rd place could be any of the 5 teams. SIU could easily win 3rd, when Illinois State went there, they played ISU tough. Loyola is too inconsistent to believe in....but in your defense, I can't make a compelling argument against you for any of the other 4. I just don't think SIU is totally out of it.

This reminds me of 2013-14, Wichita State and Indiana State were clearly 1/2, and then throughout the year, mediocre teams fighting for 3rd-7th for most of year....that was another year when the league was down like it is now.
Redbirds4Life
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Wufan » February 1st, 2017, 5:48 pm

UNI is right there for third as well, and they have a history of finishing in the top 3
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball