Wichita State Vs Illinois State

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Wichita State Vs Illinois State

Postby hot nuts » February 3rd, 2017, 10:07 am

Redhawk wrote:
hot nuts wrote:Redbirdfan and Shockernet are getting nasty...and I love it! FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT!!!!

Let's try and keep it a little more chill on here for people that truly want to talk Valley basketball!

:+1:
hot nuts
All MVC
All MVC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby hot nuts » February 3rd, 2017, 10:14 am

The best chance ISU has is for the pressure a high impact game and jacked up crowd has the Shockers in overdrive and missing shots early...maybe the Birds could build an early lead. Could be anybodies game from that point. However, if I had to put my money where my mouth is...I still think the Shockers are gonna win by double digits.
hot nuts
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Redbirds4Life » February 3rd, 2017, 10:17 am

BirdsEyeView wrote:
Cdizzle wrote:
Redhawk wrote:The Latest ESPN Bracketology has both ISUr and WSU in the tournament.

Will the Birds still be in if they lose to the Shockers?

No. Right now ISU is 'in' in people's brackets because with the best record in the league they are the presumed auto-bid. WSU is 'in' in people's bracket as an at-large. ISU already isn't an at-large team, and if you throw another loss on the resume, they are cooked, from that perspective. It's just the reality of the league.

Just a question on that...Miami is the last team in at a #12 seed. We are shown as a #11 seed, meaning we have a better value than the last team in (currently). If we were a no shot at-large, wouldn't we then be a #13 or higher seed?

I think we would be in a similar bubble situation as you guys are right now with a loss tomorrow

I think that when it comes to Arch Madness, if both teams are 17-1 and the loss it to either...you can make a case who's resume is better, but you would be splitting hairs...neither has done enough
Redbirds4Life
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby BirdsEyeView » February 3rd, 2017, 10:20 am

Redbirds4Life wrote:
BirdsEyeView wrote:Just a question on that...Miami is the last team in at a #12 seed. We are shown as a #11 seed, meaning we have a better value than the last team in (currently). If we were a no shot at-large, wouldn't we then be a #13 or higher seed?

I think we would be in a similar bubble situation as you guys are right now with a loss tomorrow

I think that when it comes to Arch Madness, if both teams are 17-1 and the loss it to either...you can make a case who's resume is better, but you would be splitting hairs...neither has done enough

That was not my question.
Cdizzle made it appear we have no shot at an at-large with a loss tomorrow, but given Lunardi's seeding numbers it appears we would.
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Cdizzle » February 3rd, 2017, 10:23 am

IMO, whomever loses tomorrow's game is out of the at-large discussion. I'm sure many on both sides might disagree, but that's my take.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Redhawk » February 3rd, 2017, 10:25 am

Cdizzle wrote:IMO, whomever loses tomorrow's game is out of the at-large discussion. I'm sure many on both sides might disagree, but that's my take.

I agree and the only way to get back in would be to win out until the MVC championship game.
Redhawk
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Cdizzle » February 3rd, 2017, 10:28 am

Redhawk wrote:
Cdizzle wrote:IMO, whomever loses tomorrow's game is out of the at-large discussion. I'm sure many on both sides might disagree, but that's my take.

I agree and the only way to get back in would be to win out until the MVC championship game.

Yeah. We disagree though. I mean completely out. No getting back in after a win streak. I mean, I think either team could get back "in the discussion" but there is no way they are actually getting in with 6 losses. Again, just my opinion. But I think on Sunday morning there will be only one Valley team with at-large hopes, and those hopes are still in the ICU.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby WSpringsBird » February 3rd, 2017, 10:39 am

Cdizzle wrote:
Redhawk wrote:

Yeah. We disagree though. I mean completely out. No getting back in after a win streak. I mean, I think either team could get back "in the discussion" but there is no way they are actually getting in with 6 losses. Again, just my opinion. But I think on Sunday morning there will be only one Valley team with at-large hopes, and those hopes are still in the ICU.

Without MM, IlSU has virtually no chance of winning enough games to get an at-large bid. I'll be rooting for the Redbirds on Saturday, of course, but from an MVC perspective, it would be better for WSU to win out--and get an at-large bid--and for IlSU to win the MVC tourney. I think WSU is good enough to win a game in the tourney. If McIntosh is back, I think IlSU is good enough to win a game in the tourney. If some other team wins the MVC tourney, I really don't think it would have much of a chance to win an NCAA tourney game, especially given the seed it would likely receive.
WSpringsBird
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby BirdsEyeView » February 3rd, 2017, 10:41 am

Cdizzle wrote:
Redhawk wrote:

I think I'll side with Lunardi that both still have a shot at it.....plus, even with two 17-1 teams and both making Arch finals that Sunday's loser will have a legit shot at making it.

The bubble is SUPER weak this year...
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/spo ... 70db74c98a
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Cdizzle » February 3rd, 2017, 10:44 am

WSpringsBird wrote:
Cdizzle wrote:
Redhawk wrote:I agree and the only way to get back in would be to win out until the MVC championship game.

Without MM, IlSU has virtually no chance of winning enough games to get an at-large bid. I'll be rooting for the Redbirds on Saturday, of course, but from an MVC perspective, it would be better for WSU to win out--and get an at-large bid--and for IlSU to win the MVC tourney. I think WSU is good enough to win a game in the tourney. If McIntosh is back, I think IlSU is good enough to win a game in the tourney. If some other team wins the MVC tourney, I really don't think it would have much of a chance to win an NCAA tourney game, especially given the seed it would likely receive.

With McIntosh, I think ISU is good enough to win more than one game in the tourney. Defense like that pretty much automatically puts you 'in' a LOT of games. And there are enough good players there to make winning plays.

I have no idea if WSU is good enough to win a game in the tourney this year. Really no idea. I still believe the ceiling for the players on this team is exceptionally high, but they haven't put it together on the court in any games that mattered so far this year. In fact, it almost seems like WSU is literally the dividing line between good and not-so-good teams. Don't know if that makes WSU the worst of the 'good' teams, or the best of the 'not-so-good' teams.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball