Valley Game #13

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Valley Game #13

Postby TheObserver » February 8th, 2017, 8:58 am

UNIFanSince1983 wrote:I love the narrative that we shoot so many free throws. Oddly enough we have still attempted the least amount of free throws in the league for all games and the 4th least in conference only games. Now we make around 77% of them so that does make a difference, but I just love the UNI will shoot so many free throws narrative.

What's your free throw differential compared to the rest of the league?
TheObserver
MVC starter
MVC starter

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Redbirds4Life » February 8th, 2017, 9:06 am

Wufan wrote:Drake hung around for about 25 minutes before ISU took control and won by 29. The defense shredded Drake, and Ndiaye looked as good as he ever has. Lee scored 24, and Timmer went without a FG.

Huge win for the boys, glad to see them get back to form after that abysmal shooting night in Wichita Saturday. Defense won the game in the 2nd half, but the offense still looked pretty good. Granted Drake didn't shoot the ball all that well, but I think credit has to go to ISU's defense. Just have to weather the storm before MiKyle gets back for the last 2-3 games and Arch Madness. Can't take a night off Saturday, War on 74 rivalry and regardless of the standings, Bradley/Illinois State is never an easy W. Gotta be ready.
Redbirds4Life
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Cdizzle » February 8th, 2017, 9:10 am

Stickboy46 wrote:
UNIFanSince1983 wrote:I love the narrative that we shoot so many free throws. Oddly enough we have still attempted the least amount of free throws in the league for all games and the 4th least in conference only games. Now we make around 77% of them so that does make a difference, but I just love the UNI will shoot so many free throws narrative.

In your 6 conference wins you have shot 69 more Free Throws than your competition.

In your 6 conference losses that drops to only shooting 16 more than your compeition.

There have only been two conference games in which the competition has shot more FT than UNI, Loyola (3 FT More), and Evansville (6 FT More). For a team that ranks 15th nationally in 3PA/FGA at 45% ... that's pretty "impressive"

That ought to do it.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BirdsEyeView » February 8th, 2017, 9:16 am

Cdizzle wrote:
Stickboy46 wrote:

In your 6 conference wins you have shot 69 more Free Throws than your competition.

In your 6 conference losses that drops to only shooting 16 more than your compeition.

There have only been two conference games in which the competition has shot more FT than UNI, Loyola (3 FT More), and Evansville (6 FT More). For a team that ranks 15th nationally in 3PA/FGA at 45% ... that's pretty "impressive"

That ought to do it.

LOLz. Got him.
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Blers » February 8th, 2017, 9:20 am

Loyola @ UNI Loyola 8 free throws-UNI 30 free throws
Evansville @UNI Evansville 15-UNI 27
UNI @ Drake UNI 27-Drake 10
UNI @ SIU UNI 10-SIU 10-------------Even! But the 9th and 10th UNI free throws came in the last 15 seconds of a one point game based on a pretty awful call. Following the LU double OT win in which Morgan got a very questionable call with about 4 seconds left (obviously not a ft discrepancy but the timing makes the ft's stick out).
Blers
All MVC
All MVC

Postby UNIFanSince1983 » February 8th, 2017, 9:46 am

There are many reasons for that. A lot of it is UNI will give Koch the ball probably 30 or more times in a game on the block. There is just numbers on our side that he will get fouled quite a bit. Then our style of defense is almost like a zone. We pack it in. We force the ball out of a bigs hands with doubles. This forces outside shots which are less likely to be fouled on. Finally, we rarely send anyone to the offensive boards. We have by far the lowest Offensive Rebounding percentage in the league. So we are not getting stupid fouls while attempting to get offensive rebounds also while getting our defense set up so to not get dumb fouls with a team in transition. So this is very much by design.

The insinuation though is that UNI some how always gets favored by the refs. That is a very subjective matter that we will have to agree to disagree on.
UNIFanSince1983
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Cdizzle » February 8th, 2017, 9:49 am

UNIFanSince1983 wrote:The insinuation though is that UNI some how always gets favored by the refs. That is a very subjective matter that we will have to agree to disagree on.

I would like to say that I'm not insinuating anything. I'm flat out saying it and calling a spade a spade.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby UNIFanSince1983 » February 8th, 2017, 9:59 am

Cdizzle wrote:
UNIFanSince1983 wrote:The insinuation though is that UNI some how always gets favored by the refs. That is a very subjective matter that we will have to agree to disagree on.

I would like to say that I'm not insinuating anything. I'm flat out saying it and calling a spade a spade.

That is strange coming from a WSU fan who's team is actually shooting the most free throws in the league. I would think you would realize that style of play has a big factor in how games are officiated.
UNIFanSince1983
All MVC
All MVC

Postby tribecalledquest » February 8th, 2017, 10:00 am

SalukiHoops wrote:GAME PICKS! Who do you have winning in game 13?

Tuesday
7-ISUr @ DU

Wednesday
7-LU @ UE

7-SIU @ UNI

8-ISUb @ BU

Thursday
8-MSU @ WSU

I would have picked ISU :)

Loyola squeaks it out because it has the two best players on the floor (Doyle and Ingram)

UNI wins again in an ugly game

I THINK Bradley wins but my confidence level is at 1.4%

Shox win easy
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BirdsEyeView » February 8th, 2017, 10:02 am

UNIFanSince1983 wrote: Then our style of defense is almost like a zone. We pack it in. We force the ball out of a bigs hands with doubles. This forces outside shots which are less likely to be fouled on. .

So, how do you explain the stat Cdizzle showed you about UNI's shot charts....

Cdizzle wrote: For a team that ranks 15th nationally in 3PA/FGA at 45% ... that's pretty "impressive"

Because from your above logic, you force jump shots, which equates to less FTs by the opposition. However, you rank 15th in the NATION in 3PA/FGA. So, why are you getting "fouled" so much shooting jumpers all game long???

It can't be one way logic...
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball