Big dance possibilities

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Big dance possibilities

Postby TheObserver » February 21st, 2017, 9:45 am

TheAsianSensation wrote:How you lose in a championship game means as much to a team's at-large chances as everyone's opinion here. None. If there was ever gonna be a time it mattered, it would've been 2006.

95% of Illinois State fans, from what I gathered, disagree with you in 2008.
TheObserver
MVC starter
MVC starter

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby BirdsEyeView » February 21st, 2017, 10:22 am

TheObserver wrote:
TheAsianSensation wrote:How you lose in a championship game means as much to a team's at-large chances as everyone's opinion here. None. If there was ever gonna be a time it mattered, it would've been 2006.

Uhh yeah...we were pretty much in until getting dominated in the championship game in 08. We failed the eye test that Sunday on a national stage on CBS.
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby TheAsianSensation » February 21st, 2017, 11:38 am

TheObserver wrote:

ISU missed that yea because Jankovich was a disgrace to the entire conference, not because of one blowout. ISU was never getting in no matter how they lost that game.
http://bracketball.blogspot.com/ A national version of the world-famous TAS Bracketology. Spread the word
TheAsianSensation
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby Cdizzle » February 21st, 2017, 12:16 pm

TheAsianSensation wrote:
TheObserver wrote:

ISU missed that yea because Jankovich was a disgrace to the entire conference, not because of one blowout. ISU was never getting in no matter how they lost that game.

Agree with TAS here. ISU fans may have thought they were in, but I don't think that was the case.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BirdsEyeView » February 21st, 2017, 1:18 pm

TheAsianSensation wrote:
TheObserver wrote:

Because of his awful scheduling? We were in until about 4pm that selection Sunday afternoon when Lunardi flipped us to out.
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby TheAsianSensation » February 21st, 2017, 1:22 pm

BirdsEyeView wrote:Because of his awful scheduling? We were in until about 4pm that selection Sunday afternoon when Lunardi flipped us to out.

His scheduling still makes me mad to this day. It's so much clearer in retrospect, 2007 was about the first year the committee started to emphasize SoS and to move away from RPI (gee, I wonder what flashpoint in 2006 occurred to prompt that change by the selection committee).

Lunardi usually has a late switch and usually misses one team anyways, just happened to be ISU that year.
http://bracketball.blogspot.com/ A national version of the world-famous TAS Bracketology. Spread the word
TheAsianSensation
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby Aargh » February 21st, 2017, 2:41 pm

IlSU has to get by UNI before anything else in this discussion is significant. IlSU has just squeaked out its' last two games against teams that aren't playing at the level UNI is playing now. And the game is in Cedar Falls.

The only meaningful win that IlSU has is WSU, and WSU isn't a lock for an at-large. It's favorable, but the Shox aren't a lock. That defeat of the Shox was earlier in the season and the return game pretty much removed any doubt about the relative levels of the two teams. Murray State is like an albatross around the Redbirds' neck.
Aargh
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Rollbird5 » February 21st, 2017, 3:05 pm

Aargh wrote:IlSU has to get by UNI before anything else in this discussion is significant. IlSU has just squeaked out its' last two games against teams that aren't playing at the level UNI is playing now. And the game is in Cedar Falls.

The only meaningful win that IlSU has is WSU, and WSU isn't a lock for an at-large. It's favorable, but the Shox aren't a lock. That defeat of the Shox was earlier in the season and the return game pretty much removed any doubt about the relative levels of the two teams. Murray State is like an albatross around the Redbirds' neck.

We have to get past Siu first! I'm just just taking it one game at a time
Rollbird5
All MVC
All MVC

Postby BirdsEyeView » February 21st, 2017, 3:08 pm

Aargh wrote:IlSU has to get by UNI before anything else in this discussion is significant. IlSU has just squeaked out its' last two games against teams that aren't playing at the level UNI is playing now. And the game is in Cedar Falls.

Agree with Rollbird...one at a time.

But, how is UNI playing at a higher level than both Missouri State and Loyola?? Honestly. They were squeaking past Bradley at home by 3 points very recently. I think Loyola and Missouri State could have a much better record than they have shown and I believe both to be better teams than UNI. They definitely have better players than UNI.
I think MSU's average losing margin this conference season is like 3 points per game (subtracting out the WSU outlier that everyone has in Wichita)

I will go on record and say we handle UNI on Sunday IF McIntosh is healthy enough to play at a high level.
Last edited by BirdsEyeView on February 21st, 2017, 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Cdizzle » February 21st, 2017, 3:44 pm

I maintain that ISU will not lose to one of the Bottom 8.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball