1st Team All Valley/2nd Team All Valley

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: 1st Team All Valley/2nd Team All Valley

Postby TheObserver » February 8th, 2017, 2:23 pm

I think it's asking a lot to expect every opponent to be saddled to 4 points or less in EVERY game. Guys are still gonna get theirs, especially at a place like Evansville, where the entire offense is based around setting a revolving door of moving screens to get one guy an open shot every time.

I'll still take Zach Brown, Marcus McDuffie, and 17 point wins over Jaylon Brown's 28 any day.
TheObserver
MVC starter
MVC starter

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Stickboy46 » February 8th, 2017, 2:25 pm

mule wrote:
TheObserver wrote:
mule wrote:Yeah, they held Jaylon Brown to 28 points last time!

In a quality 17 point loss.

Stick to the point. The point was about guarding the best scorer. Shamet (6'4"), Brown (6'6") and McDuffie (6'8") all guarded JB, who may be all of 6'0". You may not care because of the 17 point win but I bet Marshall had something to say about it.

Evansville is a different beast when it comes to defense. The offense isn't designed to get good open shots for anyone except 1 or two people. You eliminate all other options and you will win. It's not like ISUr where if you shut down Lee, you have to worry about Hawkins, McIntosh, Fayne, Evans etc etc. With Evansville you could let the one player run wild and give yourself a really really good chance to win. Let that 1 player try to beat your team. You can try to lock down that one player, but really, with the number of screens they set for that one person, it's not reasonable.
Stickboy46
All MVC
All MVC

Postby BCPanther » February 8th, 2017, 2:49 pm

DPOY is going to be fascinating.

I really like Brown, who may very well be the best wing defender in the league, but I think they'll give it to Morgan or Lee.

Morgan is going to end up UNIs all time steals leader and finish with over 100 blocks. Lee has tons of steals as well, but I'm not sure he's as good on the ball in a shut down way as Brown and Morgan are.

That said, if they ended in a 3 way tie, I'd be perfectly content with that :D

And as far as Morgan on first team all Valley, he's pretty close to a crazy stat line that only Shane Battier has done in the past 20 years, just a couple of blocks short.

No NCAA player in the past 10 seasons has done the following for a season: 15.0 ppg, 5.0 rpg, 2.0 apg, 2.0 spg, 1.5 blocks, 2.0 3FGM/g, and only one has done that stat line in the past 20 seasons (Shane Battier of Duke in 1999-00).
Senior Jeremy Morgan, the preseason MVC player of the year, is averaging 15.5 points, 6.0 rebounds, 2.8 assists, 2.0 steals, 1.3 blocks and 2.0 made 3-pointers.
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby MSUDuo » February 8th, 2017, 3:16 pm

Just curious, when is the last time a PIG team had a 1st MVC player?
MSUDuo
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby Stickboy46 » February 8th, 2017, 3:27 pm

MSUDuo wrote:Just curious, when is the last time a PIG team had a 1st MVC player?

Balentine in 13-14? Evansville finished 6-12 and tied for 8th.
Stickboy46
All MVC
All MVC

Postby mvcfan » February 8th, 2017, 6:35 pm

I do like it that it's pointed out that for WSU to have a player to deserve All MVC first team it has to be a future NBA player such as FVV and Ron Baker who only average 13 points per game. Other schools just need to finish 8th place and average 38 minutes a game and average 20 points p/game never to be heard from again. We need to appreciate whatever bones are given us.
mvcfan
All MVC
All MVC

Postby 2livewu » February 9th, 2017, 12:11 am

mule wrote:Stick to the point. The point was about guarding the best scorer. Shamet (6'4"), Brown (6'6") and McDuffie (6'8") all guarded JB, who may be all of 6'0". You may not care because of the 17 point win but I bet Marshall had something to say about it.

Brown had the last 10 points against WSU in mop up time when the game was decided. It's like UNI flopping.

UE gonna pad stats.
2livewu
All MVC
All MVC

Postby mule » February 9th, 2017, 8:58 am

mvcfan wrote:I do like it that it's pointed out that for WSU to have a player to deserve All MVC first team it has to be a future NBA player such as FVV and Ron Baker who only average 13 points per game. Other schools just need to finish 8th place and average 38 minutes a game and average 20 points p/game never to be heard from again. We need to appreciate whatever bones are given us.

2livewu wrote:Brown had the last 10 points against WSU in mop up time when the game was decided. It's like UNI flopping. UE gonna pad stats.

And one wonders why fans from other MVC shcools don't post on this board!
mule
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby Cdizzle » February 9th, 2017, 9:35 am

mule wrote:
mvcfan wrote:I do like it that it's pointed out that for WSU to have a player to deserve All MVC first team it has to be a future NBA player such as FVV and Ron Baker who only average 13 points per game. Other schools just need to finish 8th place and average 38 minutes a game and average 20 points p/game never to be heard from again. We need to appreciate whatever bones are given us.

2livewu wrote:Brown had the last 10 points against WSU in mop up time when the game was decided. It's like UNI flopping. UE gonna pad stats.

Too much reality?
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Blers » February 9th, 2017, 9:48 am

Cdizzle wrote:
mule wrote:

Too much reality?

Nah it's just fun to talk about other things.
Blers
All MVC
All MVC

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball