Rule experiments - NIT

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Rule experiments - NIT

Postby UE-grad » February 15th, 2017, 11:27 am

uniftw wrote:
UE-grad wrote:The one rule I'd like to see is an extra foul per player in the first over time (or second) for a total of 6, if they hadn't fouled out in regulation.

Thoughts?

What would you do with a kid that already fouled out? Does he get to come back in?

If they've fouled out, they're done. No reprieve. They have to have 4 or less to get the 6th.

I'd lean to getting it going into the 2nd overtime to keep the same basic ratio of a foul per 10 minutes (4/40, 5/50) and not foul out.
UE-grad
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby SubGod22 » February 15th, 2017, 11:45 am

uniftw wrote:Google is my friend

https://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/file ... elines.pdf
• The length of a media timeout is determined by the host institution/conference or the electronic media
agreement between the host institution/conference and their media partner.
• There is one electronic-media timeout in each period that occurs at the first dead ball at or below the
5-minute mark.
• When a team calls a timeout before the electronic-media timeout mark for that period, or calls a
timeout which creates the first stoppage in play at or below the mark, the timeout shall be charged to
the team and it will become that period's electronic-media timeout.
• The first team-called timeout of the second half will become an electronic-media timeout. This
timeout does not replace the 5-minute media timeout in the period in which it is called.
• The first team called timeout in any extra period(s) may become an electronic-media timeout if
stipulated in the conference media agreement.

That seems reasonable to me.

I could live with this.
www.wheatshockers.com

Government does not solve problems; it subsidizes them.

The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help.

Unemployment insurance is a prepaid vacation for freeloaders.
SubGod22
All MVC
All MVC

Postby BCPanther » February 15th, 2017, 11:46 am

uniftw wrote:Google is my friend

https://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/file ... elines.pdf
• The length of a media timeout is determined by the host institution/conference or the electronic media
agreement between the host institution/conference and their media partner.
• There is one electronic-media timeout in each period that occurs at the first dead ball at or below the
5-minute mark.
• When a team calls a timeout before the electronic-media timeout mark for that period, or calls a
timeout which creates the first stoppage in play at or below the mark, the timeout shall be charged to
the team and it will become that period's electronic-media timeout.
• The first team-called timeout of the second half will become an electronic-media timeout. This
timeout does not replace the 5-minute media timeout in the period in which it is called.
• The first team called timeout in any extra period(s) may become an electronic-media timeout if
stipulated in the conference media agreement.

That seems reasonable to me.

Right. You only lose 1 timeout then. In the women's game they just made each timeout 30 seconds longer so that the media gets the same number of ads to sell.
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby purple&orange » February 15th, 2017, 1:01 pm

Either go to quarters or do not.....playing 40 minutes broken down into 2 halves or 4 quarters will have zero impact on my enjoyment of college basketball and would venture that 99.9% of others would agree with that. To reset the fouls once 10 minutes have elapsed seems silly that a foul in the same period/half could get 2 free throws a second ago but now is just the team's first defies common sense (insert NCAA joke here).

The bigger issue to me is the lack of the 1-1 under this system. Everything is a two shot foul once you hit the bonus. But at the same time with the reset we've all seen games that 5-6 minutes into the 2nd half after a free flowing first half one or both teams are in the bonus so the reset would hopefully improve flow. Late in the game if you are trailing and they get 2 shots it is harder to come back from as missing the front ends of the 1-1 is an empty possession.

I go to a lot of the Evansville women's games and the timeout rules are a nice change. There are 3 media timeouts in the first half, 4 in the 2nd when you factor in the quarter breaks. The one thing I've noticed, maybe because of the up and down season they are having is that coaches are forced to take timeouts to stop a run a little quicker since they have to wait until the under 5:00 mark to get the media, vs every 4 minutes in the current setup for the men. That and they also have the ability to move the ball to the frontcourt with a timeout like the do in the NBA, cannot remember if it's the last minute or last two minutes in the women's game.

Ultimately the game is the game and personally I'm not for rules just to attempt to make the game more compelling late (think NASCAR and all their nonsense like the lucky dog who gets a lap back, etc). 40 minutes is 40 minutes regardless of how you break it down, my only issue is the loss of the 1-1 free throw, which can be a very pressure packed free throw late in the game.
purple&orange
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby uniftw » February 15th, 2017, 1:21 pm

I despise moving the ball up court on a time out.

I'm torn on the idea of getting rid of the 1-1 and resetting fouls. I'd rather see the 1-1 stick around for fouls 5, 6, and 7 and go to double bonus at 8. Though 8 fouls in a quarter could be hard to do, sans end of game situations.

I also don't really like fouling at the end of the game. I know it's part of it, but starting calling it what it is - it's an intentional foul. But they got rid of that rule. 99% of end of game extending fouls are blatantly intentional. I hate it.
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby SubGod22 » February 15th, 2017, 4:32 pm

uniftw wrote:I despise moving the ball up court on a time out.

I'm torn on the idea of getting rid of the 1-1 and resetting fouls. I'd rather see the 1-1 stick around for fouls 5, 6, and 7 and go to double bonus at 8. Though 8 fouls in a quarter could be hard to do, sans end of game situations.

I also don't really like fouling at the end of the game. I know it's part of it, but starting calling it what it is - it's an intentional foul. But they got rid of that rule. 99% of end of game extending fouls are blatantly intentional. I hate it.

Moving the ball up on a time out is dumb. It was stupid when the NBA did it and it's ridiculous.

I do not like getting away from 1-1. If we're breaking it down by quarters, go with 1-1 at the 5th foul and double at 8. It makes sense and still gives you the end of game pressure of hitting the first FT.

Any half-hearted effort to "make a play" isn't going to be called intentional. Most of the fouls have a defender swiping across the arms and towards the ball or they'll body up a little too aggressive. Yes, it's intentional but it's not really in the spirit of the rule. You still see it called if someone reaches out and grabs the jersey or just shoves someone. I saw one called in a game in the last week or so. I wasn't paying close attention to the game and don't remember who it was but it was called. May have been a B1G game. Nobody wants your basic end of game fouls called intentional. Talk about a shitty way to end games. Sure, games would end quicker, but we'd see fewer comebacks succeed.
www.wheatshockers.com

Government does not solve problems; it subsidizes them.

The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help.

Unemployment insurance is a prepaid vacation for freeloaders.
SubGod22
All MVC
All MVC

Postby purple&orange » February 15th, 2017, 8:55 pm

The intentional foul isn't an issue. I'd say start the double bonus at 7, two 1-1s a quarter if you want to keep it in play, which I do. Keeps the pressure fouls and should only be a huge issue at the end of the game anyway. The free throw is the same in middle school as it is in the NBA. An uncontested 15 footer. Same in my grade school gym as any other gym/arena in the country. Knock them down. The defense is giving up something when fouling late, the intentional should only be on dangerous plays with no intent to play the ball.

Moving the ball to the coaches hash is a bad idea. I'm not a huge fan of anything that changes the way the game is played just because it's late in an attempt to manufacture drama. It would certainly make timeouts much more valuable, having 3 chances to move the ball up to the frontcourt, however to take away the Bryce Drew play because they had a timeout isn't worth it......you can't advance the first 39 minutes, why do it now?

Anything that helps the game, especially game flow I am all for. There are plenty of people who don't understand the rules as it is, trying to explain why fouls reset mid half is just another unnecessary thing. I don't like that officials don't count 10 seconds anymore and use the shot clock either.....as an official/umpire I want to be the one counting, making the decision, not relying on someone at the table who might have started the clock a bit early or late. I understand it may not be perfect as the official's 10 might be 9.7 or 10.2, but at least they control it, have consistency with it where when left up to the shot clock operator it's the same thing but with someone who isn't someone who got the job to call a D-I game (no matter how poor we think they are, someone somewhere thinks they are).
purple&orange
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Previous

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball