Rule experiments - NIT

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Rule experiments - NIT

Postby TheObserver » February 15th, 2017, 10:20 am

Redbirds4Life wrote:
UE-grad wrote:The one rule I'd like to see is an extra foul per player in the first over time (or second) for a total of 6, if they hadn't fouled out in regulation.

Thoughts?

I think they should just make it 6 fouls and be done with it...or at least do it in the postseason. It sucks in a 1 and done situation, your best player or one of your best players can get into foul trouble, and that can seal your fate pretty fast.

Then stop fouling. Why do people think devaluing a foul would make the game better? That just encourages more fouling, more free throws, more physical play.

This isn't a 48 minute NBA game. This is a 40 minute college game.
TheObserver
MVC starter
MVC starter

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby uniftw » February 15th, 2017, 10:27 am

TheObserver wrote:
Redbirds4Life wrote:
UE-grad wrote:The one rule I'd like to see is an extra foul per player in the first over time (or second) for a total of 6, if they hadn't fouled out in regulation.

Thoughts?

I think they should just make it 6 fouls and be done with it...or at least do it in the postseason. It sucks in a 1 and done situation, your best player or one of your best players can get into foul trouble, and that can seal your fate pretty fast.

Then stop fouling. Why do people think devaluing a foul would make the game better? That just encourages more fouling, more free throws, more physical play.

This isn't a 48 minute NBA game. This is a 40 minute college game.

Right. In both you get 1 foul per 8 minutes.

You get extra TOs in OT and in some way I could see merit in adding an extra foul in OT, but don't support it. The NBA doesn't offer extra fouls in OT. What would you do with a kid that already fouled out? Does he get to come back in?
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby SubGod22 » February 15th, 2017, 10:36 am

I would listen to a debate on if they should go to 6 fouls over 5, but I'd still favor 5.

If you're best player fouls out, too bad. Play better D or stop being stupide or whatever the case may be.

The game is much better to watch with fewer fouls being called. But that requires players to not freaking foul. I'm glad they're getting away from all of the grabbing and holding that slowed down offenses and made games painful to watch. SIU may have worked that system better than anyone, but it sucks to watch. You can still play good D without doing all of that all of the time and it does make for better game play.

But adding a foul to OT is ridiculous.
www.wheatshockers.com

Government does not solve problems; it subsidizes them.

The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help.

Unemployment insurance is a prepaid vacation for freeloaders.
SubGod22
All MVC
All MVC

Postby PurpleAcesFootball » February 15th, 2017, 10:41 am

If they are going to experiment with the 4 quarter rule, then go for it. Resetting the fouls at 9:59 and still keeping the 4 fouls before bonus rule seems odd. Sounds like they are trying it out.

In the words of Yoda - do or do not. There is no try.
PurpleAcesFootball
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby uniftw » February 15th, 2017, 10:59 am

Is the major hesitation, admitted or not, about moving to quarters how to work media time outs and potential loss of media revenue?

Currently it's every 4 minutes there is a scheduled media TO. How would that work with splitting into four 10 minute quarters? Would you still do it at 6 and 2 of every quarter to maintain 4 per half? Go to the 7 and 3 minute mark?

The NBA goes first dead ball after 6:00 and 3:00 in each quarter and after 9:00 in the second and fourth quarters.

I suppose keeping it at 4 per half 6 or 7 and 3 make the most sense
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby SubGod22 » February 15th, 2017, 11:09 am

uniftw wrote:Is the major hesitation, admitted or not, about moving to quarters how to work media time outs and potential loss of media revenue?

Currently it's every 4 minutes there is a scheduled media TO. How would that work with splitting into four 10 minute quarters? Would you still do it at 6 and 2 of every quarter to maintain 4 per half? Go to the 7 and 3 minute mark?

The NBA goes first dead ball after 6:00 and 3:00 in each quarter and after 9:00 in the second and fourth quarters.

Wouldn't this end up increasing media revenue? Not only would there still be 4 per half, but they'd also get the between quarters break. So you'd have something like under 7 and 3 then end of qtr. That's three for the first qtr, then two in the 2nd then halftime. Same in the 2nd half so wouldn't you create two new breaks on top of actual timeouts?
www.wheatshockers.com

The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help.

SubGod22
All MVC
All MVC

Postby uniftw » February 15th, 2017, 11:11 am

SubGod22 wrote:
uniftw wrote:Is the major hesitation, admitted or not, about moving to quarters how to work media time outs and potential loss of media revenue?

Wouldn't this end up increasing media revenue? Not only would there still be 4 per half, but they'd also get the between quarters break. So you'd have something like under 7 and 3 then end of qtr. That's three for the first qtr, then two in the 2nd then halftime. Same in the 2nd half so wouldn't you create two new breaks on top of actual timeouts?

I forgot about the quarter breaks. Good catch.

One potential way to keep the game flow moving with the quater break would be to do one at about the 5 or 6 minute mark of the first and third quarters and then the 6 and 3 mark in the second and fourth.

How do the women treat media TOs?
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby uniftw » February 15th, 2017, 11:14 am

Google is my friend

https://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/file ... elines.pdf
• The length of a media timeout is determined by the host institution/conference or the electronic media
agreement between the host institution/conference and their media partner.
• There is one electronic-media timeout in each period that occurs at the first dead ball at or below the
5-minute mark.
• When a team calls a timeout before the electronic-media timeout mark for that period, or calls a
timeout which creates the first stoppage in play at or below the mark, the timeout shall be charged to
the team and it will become that period's electronic-media timeout.
• The first team-called timeout of the second half will become an electronic-media timeout. This
timeout does not replace the 5-minute media timeout in the period in which it is called.
• The first team called timeout in any extra period(s) may become an electronic-media timeout if
stipulated in the conference media agreement.

That seems reasonable to me.
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby UE-grad » February 15th, 2017, 11:27 am

uniftw wrote:

Thoughts?

What would you do with a kid that already fouled out? Does he get to come back in?

If they've fouled out, they're done. No reprieve. They have to have 4 or less to get the 6th.

I'd lean to getting it going into the 2nd overtime to keep the same basic ratio of a foul per 10 minutes (4/40, 5/50) and not foul out.
UE-grad
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby SubGod22 » February 15th, 2017, 11:45 am

uniftw wrote:Google is my friend

https://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/file ... elines.pdf
• The length of a media timeout is determined by the host institution/conference or the electronic media
agreement between the host institution/conference and their media partner.
• There is one electronic-media timeout in each period that occurs at the first dead ball at or below the
5-minute mark.
• When a team calls a timeout before the electronic-media timeout mark for that period, or calls a
timeout which creates the first stoppage in play at or below the mark, the timeout shall be charged to
the team and it will become that period's electronic-media timeout.
• The first team-called timeout of the second half will become an electronic-media timeout. This
timeout does not replace the 5-minute media timeout in the period in which it is called.
• The first team called timeout in any extra period(s) may become an electronic-media timeout if
stipulated in the conference media agreement.

That seems reasonable to me.

I could live with this.
www.wheatshockers.com

SubGod22
All MVC
All MVC

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball