Who should Drake hire?

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Who should Drake hire?

Postby Drakey » March 24th, 2017, 8:04 pm

At this point in time, where realistically can a mid major school go to find a coach? Have there been any real successful hires in the Valley, other than Marshall over the past ten years. If so, where did they come from? I'm not counting Jacobsen since he was already there.
Drakey
All MVC
All MVC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Wufan » March 24th, 2017, 8:27 pm

Drakey wrote:At this point in time, where realistically can a mid major school go to find a coach? Have there been any real successful hires in the Valley, other than Marshall over the past ten years. If so, where did they come from? I'm not counting Jacobsen since he was already there.

Archie Miller was an assistant at Arizona.

Steve Forbes was an assistant at WSU and Tennessee.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby pafan » March 24th, 2017, 9:46 pm

Drakey wrote:At this point in time, where realistically can a mid major school go to find a coach? Have there been any real successful hires in the Valley, other than Marshall over the past ten years. If so, where did they come from? I'm not counting Jacobsen since he was already there.

It's a fair question. If you're an assistant at Indiana and making $282k, why would you leave that for $350k, and the challenge that is Drake? Heck, each of Tom Crean's assistants made more than a few MVC head coaches.

Certainly some BCS assistants would want to make a name for themselves as a head coach, but tier 1 candidates would probably prefer to take over a successful team in the Patriot League or A-Sun than Drake.
sad Evansville alum
pafan
MVC Valued Member
MVC Valued Member

Postby municup14 » March 25th, 2017, 7:00 am

What about the former coach at Missouri.He wan a D 2 title a couple of years ago
municup14
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby BCPanther » March 25th, 2017, 7:10 am

municup14 wrote:What about the former coach at Missouri.He wan a D 2 title a couple of years ago

He took a DII job at Pittsburg State.
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Wufan » March 25th, 2017, 7:43 am

pafan wrote:

It's a fair question. If you're an assistant at Indiana and making $282k, why would you leave that for $350k, and the challenge that is Drake? Heck, each of Tom Crean's assistants made more than a few MVC head coaches.

Certainly some BCS assistants would want to make a name for themselves as a head coach, but tier 1 candidates would probably prefer to take over a successful team in the Patriot League or A-Sun than Drake.

I think any team that is serious about winning needs to start well north of $500K.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby acesfool » March 25th, 2017, 1:05 pm

I think Marty Simmons would be a great hire for Drake.
acesfool
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby DUBulldog » March 26th, 2017, 4:56 pm

Nothing official yet, but all kinds of national "experts" are reporting that Drake has hired Niko Medved of Furman.
DUBulldog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby DUBulldog » March 26th, 2017, 5:14 pm

Official now....Niko Medved is Drake's new head coach
DUBulldog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Wufan » March 26th, 2017, 5:41 pm

DUBulldog wrote:Official now....Niko Medved is Drake's new head coach