Who should Drake hire?

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Who should Drake hire?

Postby OmahaDog » February 20th, 2017, 9:58 pm

Some candidates that have been kicked around:

Steve Forbes, East Tennessee State head coach, former WSU assistant, former Bruce Pearl assistant (tying him to the Davis tree), Iowa native. Can Drake get him?

Kevin Gamble, Central Michigan assistant under Keno, former Iowa player, former NBA player, successful head coach at NAIA level.

Jeff Rutter, current interim coach, got the team to overachieve, but not a miracle worker, ties to Greg Mc Dermott, Fred Hoiberg

David Arsenault Jr, current head coach at Grinnell College in Iowa, successful NBA D-League coach, coaches style similar to Loyola Marymount back in the day except faster.

Ben McCollum, successful head coach at NCAA DII Northwest Missouri State.

Darian Devries, longtime Creighton assistant under Altman and McDermott

Anybody else we should add to the list?
OmahaDog
MVC Walk On
MVC Walk On

Who should Drake hire?

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Who should Drake hire?

Postby DUBulldog » February 20th, 2017, 10:04 pm

FYI, the list proposed by Omaha Dog represents people that have been mentioned randomly on Drakenation. It in no way represents an actual list of those that have applied for the Drake job or who Drake is considering.

Having said that, there's a couple of names on that list that I could go for.

The biggest question right now is who is going to actually make the hire.
DUBulldog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby shockem » February 21st, 2017, 8:05 am

Any idea what Drake is going to be able to pay the next coach? What are the selling points of the Drake job outside of an opportunity to be a head coach at the D1 level?

Forbes would be an outstanding hire, but I'm not sure Drake is a step up from his current gig. I think he'd only take a job where he thinks he could build a contender. I'm not sure that's possible at Drake, but I could be wrong.
shockem
All MVC
All MVC

Postby BirdsEyeView » February 21st, 2017, 8:44 am

OmahaDog wrote:Some candidates that have been kicked around:

Steve Forbes, East Tennessee State head coach, former WSU assistant, former Bruce Pearl assistant (tying him to the Davis tree), Iowa native. Can Drake get him?

Kevin Gamble, Central Michigan assistant under Keno, former Iowa player, former NBA player, successful head coach at NAIA level.

Jeff Rutter, current interim coach, got the team to overachieve, but not a miracle worker, ties to Greg Mc Dermott, Fred Hoiberg

David Arsenault Jr, current head coach at Grinnell College in Iowa, successful NBA D-League coach, coaches style similar to Loyola Marymount back in the day except faster.

Ben McCollum, successful head coach at NCAA DII Northwest Missouri State.

Darian Devries, longtime Creighton assistant under Altman and McDermott

Anybody else we should add to the list?

I still think Rutter is the right guy, he just needs to upgrade the roster big time
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BCPanther » February 21st, 2017, 9:11 am

Darian DeVries

He's got really good connections to Iowa High School talent through his relationship with Aaron Thomas. He's worked, and won, with two guys that run their programs totally differently so he'd have a nice hybrid of styles/demeanor. He also played for Eldon Miller who to this day is a great Xs and Os guy that is totally committed to helping guys that he knows succeed.

The timing is also right for Darian. He's in his 40s so its time to either go be a head coach somewhere or decide you're going to be a career assistant (not that there's anything wrong with that).
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Cdizzle » February 21st, 2017, 9:24 am

Ain't no way Steve Forbes is going to Drake.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Stickboy46 » February 21st, 2017, 10:14 am

Marshall has his bags packed waiting for a call to jump from Wichita State ....

Oh wait .. I thought this was the normal D1 coaching search that happens every year :)
Stickboy46
All MVC
All MVC

Postby OmahaDog » February 21st, 2017, 10:39 am

Yeah, after a lot of debate Forbes was the consensus pick on DrakeNation before Giacoletti was hired. Most agree that getting him would be a long shot at this point. I do think Drake needs to at least make the phone call. I have no knowledge of whether he was contacted or not last time around.

I get DeVries, but just underwhelmed by career assistant. Plus, recruiting Iowa should not be a priority for Drake. Will always be behind Iowa and Iowa State. Catching UNI in the hearts and minds of Iowans will take a lot of work at this point as well. Best to look to places like Chicago, Milwaukee, Minneapolis for players. Drake recruits a lot of its student body from those places already.

I like Gamble at this point. Ties to NBA, Iowa, and Davis should make him a strong recruiter. Can he coach? Success at lower level is only real indicator.
OmahaDog
MVC Walk On
MVC Walk On

Postby RoyalShock » February 21st, 2017, 10:45 am

Other than the possibility of taking over WSU someday should Marshall leave, there are really only three MVC programs I could see hiring Steve Forbes: UNI, SIU, MSU, simply due to being public schools either in good shape already (UNI) or mediocre with potential (SIU, MSU).
RoyalShock
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby tribecalledquest » February 21st, 2017, 11:09 am

Cdizzle wrote:Ain't no way Steve Forbes is going to Drake.

No kidding. That job is not a fit for him in any way, shape or form.
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Next

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball