Who should Drake hire?

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Who should Drake hire?

Postby UNIFanSince1983 » March 23rd, 2017, 12:50 pm

BCPanther wrote:
Redhawk wrote:
Cdizzle wrote:I'm not sure I would put Loyola on that list. Definitely not with any certainty.

Agreed...IMO Loyola without Doyle will be better than UNI without Morgan.
A lot more talent than the Panthers already and some nice recruits coming in.

Remind me who's coaching Loyola again?

I am also curious about all this talent that Loyola had that isn't Doyle...

Of course no one ever thinks UNI has talent, but all we do is finish top half of the conference every single year with apparently no talent. Even making it to NCAA tournaments and winning games with no talent. Strange because ISUr who everyone says has tons of talent hasn't exactly done that (although I feel they did get jobbed this year).
UNIFanSince1983
All MVC
All MVC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Cdizzle » March 23rd, 2017, 1:18 pm

UNIFanSince1983 wrote:
BCPanther wrote:
Redhawk wrote:Agreed...IMO Loyola without Doyle will be better than UNI without Morgan.
A lot more talent than the Panthers already and some nice recruits coming in.

Remind me who's coaching Loyola again?

Of course no one ever thinks UNI has talent, but all we do is finish top half of the conference every single year with apparently no talent. Even making it to NCAA tournaments and winning games with no talent. Strange because ISUr who everyone says has tons of talent hasn't exactly done that (although I feel they did get jobbed this year).

1. It's about 5 years past time to stop touting "Top 5 MVC finshes" as some sort of accomplishment.
2. Who is everyone?
3. I don't think it's unreasonable to speculate that UNI will struggle next year.
4. With regard to Loyola, UNI finished 1 game up in the league standings, split the season series on what can only be characterized by third-parties as blatant home court officiating, and finished with 4 fewer wins than Loyola. I liked what I saw out of what Loyola has returning a lot more than what I saw out of what UNI has returning.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Redbirds4Life » March 23rd, 2017, 1:32 pm

Cdizzle wrote:1. It's about 5 years past time to stop touting "Top 5 MVC finshes" as some sort of accomplishment.
2. Who is everyone?
3. I don't think it's unreasonable to speculate that UNI will struggle next year.
4. With regard to Loyola, UNI finished 1 game up in the league standings, split the season series on what can only be characterized by third-parties as blatant home court officiating, and finished with 4 fewer wins than Loyola. I liked what I saw out of what Loyola has returning a lot more than what I saw out of what UNI has returning.

Ya, but Ben Jacobson will have the boys ready to Arch Madness and it's not about how you finish January, it is all about February and March....Jake will have the boys ready!
Redbirds4Life
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby SubGod22 » March 23rd, 2017, 1:33 pm

UNI definitely has the coaching advantage between the two.
www.wheatshockers.com

Government does not solve problems; it subsidizes them.

The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help.

Unemployment insurance is a prepaid vacation for freeloaders.
SubGod22
All MVC
All MVC

Postby UNIFanSince1983 » March 23rd, 2017, 2:46 pm

Cdizzle wrote:1. It's about 5 years past time to stop touting "Top 5 MVC finshes" as some sort of accomplishment.
2. Who is everyone?

I think there are quite a few teams that would love the stability we have even in the state of the conference currently. Now I guess you are entitled to your opinion on what Loyola has coming back vs what UNI has coming back. I will just tell you I would rather be in our shoes than Loyola's. Although I admit I am a little biased on that subject.
UNIFanSince1983
All MVC
All MVC

Postby UNIFanSince1983 » March 23rd, 2017, 3:09 pm

As for who Drake should hire I think Rutter would be the perfect candidate. The way he turned around what they had in Des Moines was pretty good. I was always impressed with him on McDermott's staffs. I do think Darian DeVries would also be a great coach, but secretly I want him to stay under the radar in case Jacobson ever leaves.
UNIFanSince1983
All MVC
All MVC

Postby BCPanther » March 23rd, 2017, 3:22 pm

UNIFanSince1983 wrote:As for who Drake should hire I think Rutter would be the perfect candidate. The way he turned around what they had in Des Moines was pretty good. I was always impressed with him on McDermott's staffs. I do think Darian DeVries would also be a great coach, but secretly I want him to stay under the radar in case Jacobson ever leaves.

Ben Jacobson's replacement currently works in Fayette, IA and that's whether Jake leaves in 3 years or in 15 years.
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby DUBulldog » March 23rd, 2017, 3:23 pm

UNIFanSince1983 wrote:As for who Drake should hire I think Rutter would be the perfect candidate. The way he turned around what they had in Des Moines was pretty good. I was always impressed with him on McDermott's staffs. I do think Darian DeVries would also be a great coach, but secretly I want him to stay under the radar in case Jacobson ever leaves.

I'd be ok with Rutter, although he's not my number one choice. But, a lot of Drake fans don't want him, based on his record last season and his record 20 years ago as a D2 coach.

I don't think you can hold him responsible for Drake's record last season. Nobody could have won with that group. But, he was the top assistant on the staff that put together that group of players. How much of the way the roster was put together is completely on Giacoletti and how much was on his staff (including Rutter)?

I don't think his record at Wisconsin-Parkside is relevant. It was bad, but he was like 30 years old when he took that job. He has 15 years of D1 experience since leaving Parkside. I don't think he's the same coach now as he was 20+ years ago when he took that job.

But, if Drake hires Rutter, why the f*** did they waste all this time and money (search firm, interviews, etc) rather than just make it official back in January? They've cost him 2+ months of recruiting if they give it to him now, rather than back in January.
DUBulldog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Wufan » March 23rd, 2017, 6:34 pm

UNIFanSince1983 wrote:

Ingram, Jackson, and Custer are a very good returning core. Richardson is an ice role player. Satterwhite has some upside. Townes is a pretty good transfer that will be eligible. A top 100 forward and a center just outside the top 100 also committed.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby squirrel » March 23rd, 2017, 6:41 pm

Wufan wrote:
UNIFanSince1983 wrote:

Ingram, Jackson, and Custer are a very good returning core. Richardson is an ice role player. Satterwhite has some upside. Townes is a pretty good transfer that will be eligible. A top 100 forward and a center just outside the top 100 also committed.

Also look for Matt Chastain to play role player minutes. He went down with an injury 3 games into this season, and will probably get to do his frosh season again. He was averaging just under 13 minutes per game and 4 points and 3 rebounds per game over that small sample.
squirrel
All MVC
All MVC

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball