Who should Drake hire?

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Who should Drake hire?

Postby Bball Junkie » February 28th, 2017, 12:29 pm

I was hoping Governor's State University had a basketball program looking for a head coach - Marty could apply there, accept the position, and let us Aces fans rejoice in unison.
Bball Junkie
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby MissouriValleyUnite » February 28th, 2017, 12:46 pm

Bball Junkie wrote:I was hoping Governor's State University had a basketball program looking for a head coach - Marty could apply there, accept the position, and let us Aces fans rejoice in unison.

I'll get to work on it...we have a swimming pool not 30 feet from the court. Would that be enough to incentivize Marty?
MissouriValleyUnite
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby tribecalledquest » February 28th, 2017, 2:10 pm

DUBulldog wrote:Drake has opened up the coaching search. They say that Rutter will have an opportunity to interview. I don't think he has a chance.

The same athletic director who hired Mark Phelps and Ray Giacoletti is still the AD. Drake fans are hoping and praying that the university president makes this pick, not the AD.

This may come back to bite me on Thursday but I didn't see a DU team playing their butts off for their coach vs Bradley in Des Moines on Saturday.
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BearUp11 » February 28th, 2017, 3:24 pm

RoyalShock wrote:Other than the possibility of taking over WSU someday should Marshall leave, there are really only three MVC programs I could see hiring Steve Forbes: UNI, SIU, MSU, simply due to being public schools either in good shape already (UNI) or mediocre with potential (SIU, MSU).

Rumor is in Springfield that MSU is going to try to go after Steve Forbes. I've heard they are supposed to announce their decision on Lusk by the end of this week. I've also heard some big booster has stepped up with the money for the buyout. Honestly I like what Drake's current interim coach has done with the team!
Everyday is a great day to BearUp!
BearUp11
MVC Walk On
MVC Walk On

Postby BCPanther » February 28th, 2017, 5:22 pm

DUBulldog wrote:Drake has opened up the coaching search. They say that Rutter will have an opportunity to interview. I don't think he has a chance.

The same athletic director who hired Mark Phelps and Ray Giacoletti is still the AD. Drake fans are hoping and praying that the university president makes this pick, not the AD.

Yeah, if there's a search, he's not getting it.

Reminds me of Iowa State being all gung ho to hire TJ Otzelberger until the president stepped in and required a search. You knew TJ didn't have a chance.
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby AndShock » February 28th, 2017, 5:59 pm

Why would Forbes leave ETSU for the Valley? He's probably a year or two off from a P5 job.
AndShock
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby municup14 » February 28th, 2017, 6:51 pm

UEACES80 wrote:Can anyone get Marty the phone number of Governors State University Athletic Department - looking for future opponents. ;)

What does this have anything do to with a new coach at Drake :huh:
municup14
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Wufan » February 28th, 2017, 7:08 pm

AndShock wrote:Why would Forbes leave ETSU for the Valley? He's probably a year or two off from a P5 job.

He'd actually be a really good fit at MSU. It would be a large pay increase, and MSU fans will support a winner. It could turn out to be a really good gig.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby AndShock » February 28th, 2017, 7:43 pm

Wufan wrote:
AndShock wrote:Why would Forbes leave ETSU for the Valley? He's probably a year or two off from a P5 job.

He'd actually be a really good fit at MSU. It would be a large pay increase, and MSU fans will support a winner. It could turn out to be a really good gig.

I guess he might take it if he thinks he can win with the players coming back next year. I just don't see any way he's there for over 2 years.
AndShock
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby DUBulldog » February 28th, 2017, 11:45 pm

Drake players held a meeting with the school president, lobbying for Rutter

https://twitter.com/GarmanSports/status/836668915753209857

I'm trying not to read too much into it, but if they met with him instead of the AD, does that mean they think he's the one who will make the hire?
DUBulldog
Site Admin
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball