Who should Drake hire?

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Who should Drake hire?

Postby TheDrake » February 21st, 2017, 11:39 am

tribecalledquest wrote:
Cdizzle wrote:Ain't no way Steve Forbes is going to Drake.

No kidding. That job is not a fit for him in any way, shape or form.

I would agree that the chances of Forbes coming to Drake are slim now that he has built a contender at ETSU. That being said, he's an Iowa native whose parents still live here. And if he got paid what they were paying Giacoletti he could double his salary. Drake's AD is an idiot so she probably wouldn't do it, but someone at the school should at least reach out to him.
TheDrake
MVC starter
MVC starter

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Cdizzle » February 21st, 2017, 12:17 pm

TheDrake wrote:
tribecalledquest wrote:
Cdizzle wrote:Ain't no way Steve Forbes is going to Drake.

No kidding. That job is not a fit for him in any way, shape or form.

I would agree that the chances of Forbes coming to Drake are slim now that he has built a contender at ETSU. That being said, he's an Iowa native whose parents still live here. And if he got paid what they were paying Giacoletti he could double his salary. Drake's AD is an idiot so she probably wouldn't do it, but someone at the school should at least reach out to him.

Forbes wants to be someplace he can win.

And in a couple years, he won't have to worry about how much money Drake can scrounge up.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby tribecalledquest » February 21st, 2017, 12:23 pm

Cdizzle wrote:
TheDrake wrote:

Forbes wants to be someplace he can win.

And in a couple years, he won't have to worry about how much money Drake can scrounge up.

Look at his ETSU roster and his background. Going to Drake would make no sense for him.
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby DUBulldog » February 21st, 2017, 12:38 pm

I would love Forbes, but can't see him working for current AD.

I have heard rumors of a long time "power 5" assistant who wants the job.

I'd be ok with Rutter, but don't know how well he can recruit. If the current AD is making the hire , give me Rutter. She is 0-2 in men's bball hires with both grading out as an F (no D+ here)

:Cheers:
DUBulldog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Aargh » February 21st, 2017, 2:52 pm

Drake has ended the careers of a couple of coaches. That's not going to help recruit a coach. Rutter is looking like the "safe" hire.

I doubt we'll ever see Forbes in the Valley as long as Marshall is in Wichita. I don't think he'd want to coach against Gregg for a large number of reasons, including losing games.
Aargh
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby OmahaDog » February 22nd, 2017, 7:47 am

Curious to hear more about Forbes from Wichita State folks. I see a lot of juco guys on the ETSU roster and what seems to be some concern that he would not be able to recruit those same guys to Drake. While I love to tout the academic excellence at Drake, I just generally assume that most Valley players would be eligible to play there.

Why wouldn't Forbes want to coach against Marshall? Marshall is obviously a great coach, but if Forbes continues to rise in the coaching ranks he's going to run into some tough guys in whatever conference he ends up in.

What's Forbes personality like? Looks like he's a good recruiter. Is he a good X & O guy? How did he and Marshall get along?

Ties to state, ties to the Davis tree, and familiarity to the Valley are what really get Drake fans interested. Plus, ya know, winning a boatload wherever he's been. Some balk at the ties to Bruce Pearl. That doesn't really bother me much though.

A lot of questions about I guy I don't think we can really get, but dare to dream and all
OmahaDog
MVC Walk On
MVC Walk On

Postby DUBulldog » February 22nd, 2017, 8:05 am

OmahaDog wrote:Curious to hear more about Forbes from Wichita State folks. I see a lot of juco guys on the ETSU roster and what seems to be some concern that he would not be able to recruit those same guys to Drake. While I love to tout the academic excellence at Drake, I just generally assume that most Valley players would be eligible to play there.

I'm not going to mention the coach or the MVC team, but I have had a Drake coach tell me that only 2 of the 13 players on a rival MVC team could have gotten into Drake. I was told by Rutter two days ago about a current MVC player (juco transfer) that Drake wanted, but when they got his transcript, there was no way he could get in.

Drake apparently has strict guidelines on juco credits....they won't accept all the credit hours that some other schools will. I know there's a limit on how many PE credits they'll allow, plus other restrictions.
DUBulldog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby uniftw » February 22nd, 2017, 8:10 am

DUBulldog wrote:
OmahaDog wrote:Curious to hear more about Forbes from Wichita State folks. I see a lot of juco guys on the ETSU roster and what seems to be some concern that he would not be able to recruit those same guys to Drake. While I love to tout the academic excellence at Drake, I just generally assume that most Valley players would be eligible to play there.

I'm not going to mention the coach or the MVC team, but I have had a Drake coach tell me that only 2 of the 13 players on a rival MVC team could have gotten into Drake. I was told by Rutter two days ago about a current MVC player (juco transfer) that Drake wanted, but when they got his transcript, there was no way he could get in.

Drake apparently has strict guidelines on juco credits....they won't accept all the credit hours that some other schools will. I know there's a limit on how many PE credits they'll allow, plus other restrictions.

I'm going to go with Illinois State and....JUCOs that Drake may have recruited that are new this year...I'll go with Hunter Rhodes.

Just come out and give names. I hate the veiled secrecy.
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby OmahaDog » February 22nd, 2017, 8:57 am

Good stuff, DUBulldog! Looks like some of my assumptions were wrong.

I did look up a story on SIU's Sean Lloyd a while back when I heard he was Lewis and Daryl Lloyd's nephew wondering why Drake did not recruit him. It does look like he would have had trouble getting in. So I get not recruiting him even though he looks like a very solid player.

As far as I know, the Kreklow kids weren't heavily recruited by Drake (not successfully recruited anyway). Lloyds and Kreklows pretty much only Drake royalty outside of the Maury John and 07-08 folks. I suppose I'm getting a bit off topic though.

Getting back on in terms of Forbes and recruiting and Drake. Mark Phelps did seem to be able to get players at Drake with several top ranked recruiting classes. Now, of course, those players were either overrated to begin with, did not develop, or Phelps couldn't coach them a lick. I suspect a combination of all three.

But it does indicate that you can get players at Drake. Outside of basketball, there are a lot of reasons to choose Drake over some of the other Valley schools.

Just want my alma mater to compete!

Don't really understand why it can't, despite 50 years of evidence that indicates that, indeed, the men's basketball program is out of its depth.
OmahaDog
MVC Walk On
MVC Walk On

Postby DUBulldog » February 22nd, 2017, 9:27 am

uniftw wrote:
DUBulldog wrote:Just come out and give names. I hate the veiled secrecy.

I understand that.....but, I just don't think it would be fair to the kid to mention his name...he was (and is) eligible by NCAA standards.
DUBulldog
Site Admin
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball