Who should Drake hire?

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Who should Drake hire?

Postby DUBulldog » February 22nd, 2017, 9:38 am

OmahaDog wrote:Don't really understand why it can't, despite 50 years of evidence that indicates that, indeed, the men's basketball program is out of its depth.

It's fairly easy to explain how Drake's downward spiral began in 1971, and continued. Once you've been down as long as Drake has, it's really hard to climb out, especially when you're placing academic restrictions that your opponents aren't. And you continue to hire athletic directors with NO basketball experience.

Bulldogs had a chance to stop the downward spiral in 2008 when replacing Keno after that one magical season. Yep, it was probably a fluke, but it still happened. For the first time since 1971, Drake was hiring a coach coming off a very successful season.

Tom Davis was the special adviser to the AD. He had a recommendation. The AD declined his recommendation, and instead hired a much lower profile assistant from an average Pac-10 school. A guy who had applied for, and been turned down by, lower profile schools than Drake. A guy coming from a system that was completely opposite the system these kids were recruited to. After 5 Thursday night finishes, Phelps was fired. His teams were talented, but poorly coached. So, then Drake hires (at double the salary) a coach who ran his previous program into the ground. Giacoletti's coaching and recruiting philosophies were right out of the 1960's. He did ok the first year with Phelps' players. Since then, the worst 3 year stretch in the less than good history of Drake basketball. Three straight 20+ loss seasons with less than 10 wins.

Now, the program is so far down, the pool of candidates to choose from is certainly going to be far less in quality and quantity than it was 9 years ago.
DUBulldog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby LanceShock » February 22nd, 2017, 10:27 am

BirdsEyeView wrote:I would go with Wichita, if I recall, they have a 95%+ acceptance rate into their school (highest in the Valley). ISUr is 80%.

What I can never understand is why ISUr is so selective when it is a state school. I can understand Drake being more selective being a private school.
LanceShock
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby BirdsEyeView » February 22nd, 2017, 10:29 am

LanceShock wrote:
BirdsEyeView wrote:I would go with Wichita, if I recall, they have a 95%+ acceptance rate into their school (highest in the Valley). ISUr is 80%.

What I can never understand is why ISUr is so selective when it is a state school. I can understand Drake being more selective being a private school.

Lots of applicants (they have to turn some away)... See this article:

https://news.illinoisstate.edu/2016/09/ ... ent-trend/
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby uniftw » February 22nd, 2017, 10:34 am

Cdizzle wrote:Anyone that believes NCAA eligible recruits can't be admitted into any Valley school (or like 330 out of 351 D1 schools)...

I have some great ocean-front property to sell you.

^^^^^^

I have the same discussion on a FCS football website probably 5-6 times a year on the topic. Recently it's been ISUr fans (ironically enough) sayingtheir standards and how players couldn't get accepted to ISUr but could at UNI and that's why UNI landed them. Never mind that ISUr and UNI are sister universities with nearly the exact same academic profile for incoming freshman.

The reason they think their program has higher standards? They have the highest APR score in the conference...a whole 970 to UNI's 966. What that argument tells me is that ISUr fans don't understand what APR is or shows. They think it measures academic quality, it doesn't. It measures kids staying eligible and on pace to graduate. It *could* be argued that having APR scores significantly higher than "peer" institutions doesn't mean smarter students (because it doesn't). It *could* simply mean the university is hiding the flawed students through other means. What makes that argument even better is that ISUr has, far and away, the worse APR in mens basketball at just 945 compared to 995 (perfect is 1000) for UNI and that UNI's entire athletic department averages something like a 3.15 GPA as well as having between 3-6 teams in the top 10 % in APR every single year with programs like MBB (averages a 995), WBB (averaging about 990), VB, mens golf (6 straight perfect scores), wrestling (Averaging about a 985 the last 4-5 years), softball (averaging about 993), womens XC (7 straight perfect scores), womens golf (5 straight perfect scores) womens soccer (averaging about 995 last 4 years), womens track (over 990) and volleyball has never gotten anything other than a perfect score.

It's fair to say that anyone getting accepted into UNI would get into any other MVC school, especially as an athlete.

Oddly enough Drake's football APR is't any better than the rest of the MVFC really. It's essentially the same as UNI over the years (who is consistently at the top/near top of conference) and second worst APR in mens basketball.
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby uniftw » February 22nd, 2017, 10:41 am

BirdsEyeView wrote:
LanceShock wrote:

Lots of applicants (they have to turn some away)... See this article:

From your article...to continue to compare to UNI since it's what I've been doing for a while on AGS.

GPA of 3.4 on a 4.0 scale and an average ACT score near 24

UNI's average incoming GPA right now is 3.32 and ACT of 23 per a release about the 2016 enrollment.

Compare UNI to ISUr here

UNI
http://www.collegesimply.com/colleges/i ... admission/

ISU

I know it's going to cause a stir, but ISUr isn't anything special

ISU is probably growing as much/more to do with cost than education.

http://www.collegeillinois.org/PlansAnd ... dFees.html

Chicago State University $12,016
Eastern Illinois University $12,059
Governors State University $11,212
Illinois State University $14,961
Northeastern Illinois University $15,172
Northern Illinois University $14,193
Southern Illinois University / Carbondale varies between $14,187 and $15,643
University Of Illinois at Springfield $15,817
University of Illinois varies between $16,000 and $20,7000 for the majority of majors
Western Illinois University $13,078

It's cheap compared to UI. It's why Iowa has so many Illinois residents. When everything is added in it's cheaper to go to school at Iowa than in Illinois.
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BirdsEyeView » February 22nd, 2017, 10:52 am

uniftw wrote:From your article...to continue to compare to UNI since it's what I've been doing for a while on AGS.

I was never trying to compare UNI to ISUr (your other ISUr posters are not me). I was simply answering LanceShock question.

I attended the University of Illinois in Champaign, so I have no academic ties to ISUr other than I grew up in town and was a lifelong Redbird fan.

Now, let's stop derailing the topic of this thread. If you want to create a new thread on a forum about academics and transfer that over, then fine.
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Stickboy46 » February 22nd, 2017, 10:55 am

uniftw wrote:
BirdsEyeView wrote:
LanceShock wrote:Lots of applicants (they have to turn some away)... See this article:

From your article...to continue to compare to UNI since it's what I've been doing for a while on AGS.

GPA of 3.4 on a 4.0 scale and an average ACT score near 24

UNI's average incoming GPA right now is 3.32 and ACT of 23 per a release about the 2016 enrollment.

Compare UNI to ISUr here

UNI

ISU

I know it's going to cause a stir, but ISUr isn't anything special

ISU is probably growing as much/more to do with cost than education.

http://www.collegeillinois.org/PlansAnd ... dFees.html

Chicago State University $12,016
Eastern Illinois University $12,059
Governors State University $11,212
Illinois State University $14,961
Northeastern Illinois University $15,172
Northern Illinois University $14,193
Southern Illinois University / Carbondale varies between $14,187 and $15,643
University Of Illinois at Springfield $15,817
University of Illinois varies between $16,000 and $20,7000 for the majority of majors
Western Illinois University $13,078

It's cheap compared to UI. It's why Iowa has so many Illinois residents. When everything is added in it's cheaper to go to school at Iowa than in Illinois.

Interesting data. So according to that the average GPA of incoming freshman at WSU is higher than ISUr ... So maybe its a higher acceptance rate because of higher quality applicants ... :p
Stickboy46
All MVC
All MVC

Postby UEACES80 » February 22nd, 2017, 3:59 pm

Can anyone get Marty the phone number of Governors State University Athletic Department - looking for future opponents. ;)
UEACES80
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Cdizzle » February 22nd, 2017, 4:10 pm

UEACES80 wrote:Can anyone get Marty the phone number of Governors State University Athletic Department - looking for future opponents. ;)

Very solid post. Levity. Self-deprecation. Honesty. It has it all.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Drakey » February 22nd, 2017, 8:55 pm

I still have hope that Sandy will be leaving for another job, that steps are already being taken to replace her, and that the new AD will be somebody who knows about basketball and believes the top priority of the athletic department is a successful mens basketball program.
Drakey
All MVC
All MVC

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball