Who should Drake hire?

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Who should Drake hire?

Postby musiccitybulldog » March 23rd, 2017, 7:39 am

As far as I have read or heard Drake has made no announcement on a coaching hire. Just a lot of speculative tweets and opinions from "experts".
musiccitybulldog
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby unipanther99 » March 23rd, 2017, 7:43 am

Not quite an Altman to Arkansas deal, but sounds pretty close.

Is SHC fired yet? If not, why?
unipanther99
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby pafan » March 23rd, 2017, 8:10 am

uniftw wrote:This whole thing has me wondering about a Tweet I saw last night. The tweet was football related but it said "You are a head football coach. Your only 2 options are Iowa State and Purdue. Which job do you take?"

I'd argue Indiana football HC is even a worse job than Purdue football HC.

I think Drake would definitely fit into a basketball version of that - "You are a head basketball coach. Your only 2 options are Drake and Evansville. Which job do you take?"

That's not even a fair question, for as much crap as I (Everyone) give Evansville I can see where that's the better job. The pay may not be as high, but the potential fan base is higher. The administration seems slightly less incompetent.

If Marty Simmons quit today to become Tim Jankovich's top assistant at SMU :Yea!: , I think I'd agree. A coach coming into Drake has a total rebuild. A coach coming into Evansville could avoid Thursday in year 1, with the players/commits Simmons has already recruited (plus a couple of open schollies)
sad Evansville alum
pafan
MVC Valued Member
MVC Valued Member

Postby Cdizzle » March 23rd, 2017, 8:41 am

pafan wrote:
uniftw wrote:This whole thing has me wondering about a Tweet I saw last night. The tweet was football related but it said "You are a head football coach. Your only 2 options are Iowa State and Purdue. Which job do you take?"

I think Drake would definitely fit into a basketball version of that - "You are a head basketball coach. Your only 2 options are Drake and Evansville. Which job do you take?"

That's not even a fair question, for as much crap as I (Everyone) give Evansville I can see where that's the better job. The pay may not be as high, but the potential fan base is higher. The administration seems slightly less incompetent.

If Marty Simmons quit today to become Tim Jankovich's top assistant at SMU :Yea!: , I think I'd agree. A coach coming into Drake has a total rebuild. A coach coming into Evansville could avoid Thursday in year 1, with the players/commits Simmons has already recruited (plus a couple of open schollies)

A coach coming in to Drake doesn't have to waste a year blowing everything up.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby uniftw » March 23rd, 2017, 8:49 am

Cdizzle wrote:
pafan wrote:

A coach coming in to Drake doesn't have to waste a year blowing everything up.

They kind of do. I guess you could argue it's already been blown up (and has been for 5 decades outside of one season in 08), but Evansville at least has a few players that could be pretty above average if in a different system. Drake has nothing. I don't remember who it was on here, but there was a long "discussion" about Drake landing Casey Schlater over UNI when that happened. Well, there's a reason UNI stopped recruiting and told him he no longer had an offer and we're seeing it play out.

Phelps couldn't X and O his way past most JH coaches but he could at least recruit talent - keeping it was another story as well. I know Drake has this historic mystique about them and that they are simply a sleeping giant, but in the 47 seasons since John Maury retired they have as many single digit win seasons as winning seasons (9).

Would it be great for the conference if Drake was good? Sure. It would be great for the conference if every team was good. I just don't understand much of the "romanticizing" that takes place around Drake.
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby UEACES80 » March 23rd, 2017, 9:54 am

OK would take the Drake job:

1) a top JC College Coach who is in his late 40's or early 50's (wanting to build that nest egg for retirement in 10 years) that has a good network of JC coaching buddies to pull players from (Drake being a top notch school would have some difficulty getting all JC's to qualify but there are qualifiers out there). Only example I have is when UE had their tragic plane crash in 1977 they hired a JC coach and he was able to get UE into the NCAA in his 4th year.

2) a D2 or D3 or even a NAIA Coach win a successful track record with a system type team - see what Bo Ryan did at Wisconsin. Give the guy 4 years to build his type of team. Another example is the Illinois women's team just hired the D3 Washington U (in StL) head coach for their D1 Power 5 job.

3) a long time D1 assistant who was been passed over and over and has a chip on his shoulder. Example Bruce Webber when he finally got a shot at SIU then moved to Illinois and now at Kansas State.

Pair any of these options with a young recruiter and or a linked AAU coach as an assistant and Drake can jump forward. Preferably any of these assistants / recruiters have IA, IL, IN, MN and WI links.

Bottom line is that $ can attract candidates that we don't know about and that doesn't mean they can't get it fixed with a surprise hire.
UEACES80
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby ACECARD » March 23rd, 2017, 10:36 am

I am tempted to say that the Evansville job would be way better because you would be guaranteed a job for ten years, no matter whether you win or lose. Marty's situation is different because of his past relationship to the program as a player, and asst. coach, plus he has great name recognition in this area. Now another person probably wouldn't be given that much time to produce a team of relevance in the MVC, I hope. I think most Aces fans know that Marty will be back next year, and that they have at least a 50-50 chance of not being a Thursday team, but short of a couple NCAA tournament wins, will want him gone. Time will tell, but I don't see that it's possible to go on the route we have been on for the last ten years.
ACECARD
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Born2Shock » March 23rd, 2017, 10:44 am

ACECARD wrote:I am tempted to say that the Evansville job would be way better because you would be guaranteed a job for ten years, no matter whether you win or lose. Marty's situation is different because of his past relationship to the program as a player, and asst. coach, plus he has great name recognition in this area. Now another person probably wouldn't be given that much time to produce a team of relevance in the MVC, I hope. I think most Aces fans know that Marty will be back next year, and that they have at least a 50-50 chance of not being a Thursday team, but short of a couple NCAA tournament wins, will want him gone. Time will tell, but I don't see that it's possible to go on the route we have been on for the last ten years.

UE is going to beat out 4 other teams to avoid Thursday?
Born2Shock
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby uniftw » March 23rd, 2017, 12:10 pm

Born2Shock wrote:
ACECARD wrote:I am tempted to say that the Evansville job would be way better because you would be guaranteed a job for ten years, no matter whether you win or lose. Marty's situation is different because of his past relationship to the program as a player, and asst. coach, plus he has great name recognition in this area. Now another person probably wouldn't be given that much time to produce a team of relevance in the MVC, I hope. I think most Aces fans know that Marty will be back next year, and that they have at least a 50-50 chance of not being a Thursday team, but short of a couple NCAA tournament wins, will want him gone. Time will tell, but I don't see that it's possible to go on the route we have been on for the last ten years.

Drake
Loyola
Indiana State

Yeah, probably Evansville.
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Cdizzle » March 23rd, 2017, 12:12 pm

uniftw wrote:
Born2Shock wrote:

Drake
Loyola
Indiana State

Yeah, probably Evansville.

I'm not sure I would put Loyola on that list. Definitely not with any certainty.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball