Who should Drake hire?

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Who should Drake hire?

Postby squirrel » March 22nd, 2017, 7:25 pm

It will be interesting if it ends up being Smith what job Rick Karius will fill. Since becoming a DI staffer, he has had a different job every year:

2013-14 Green Bay video coordinator
2014-15 Green Bay D-Ops
2015-16 Bradley D-Ops
2016-17 South Dakota D-Ops
squirrel
All MVC
All MVC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby DUBulldog » March 22nd, 2017, 7:44 pm

SD media types reporting that Smith to Drake is done deal. Still waiting for some kind of confirmation.
DUBulldog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Wufan » March 22nd, 2017, 7:47 pm

DUBulldog wrote:SD media types reporting that Smith to Drake is done deal. Still waiting for some kind of confirmation.

Who is Craig Smith?
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby DUBulldog » March 22nd, 2017, 7:59 pm

Wufan wrote:
DUBulldog wrote:SD media types reporting that Smith to Drake is done deal. Still waiting for some kind of confirmation.

Who is Craig Smith?

Coach at University of South Dakota

Now, the same guy who was first to say that Smith to Drake is done deal is saying Smith is staying at USD
DUBulldog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Snaggletooth » March 22nd, 2017, 8:05 pm

It looks like he was just using Drake for a pay raise. I bet you keep your assistant as head coach.
Snaggletooth
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Drakey » March 22nd, 2017, 8:13 pm

If we keep our assistant we might as well just drop the basketball program altogether. He was on the staff that recruited an entire team of D2 players.
Drakey
All MVC
All MVC

Postby uniftw » March 23rd, 2017, 6:24 am

How can any coach, at this point, willingly take that Drake job knowing that they are simply Drake's emergency back up plan because the guy they wanted played them?

The reality is, the next coach is going in knowing he isn't "wanted", outside of SHC going "Dammit, we need a coach again to fill the hole left by the coach we just tried to hire".

This whole thing has me wondering about a Tweet I saw last night. The tweet was football related but it said "You are a head football coach. Your only 2 options are Iowa State and Purdue. Which job do you take?"

I think Drake would definitely fit into a basketball version of that - "You are a head basketball coach. Your only 2 options are Drake and Evansville. Which job do you take?"

That's not even a fair question, for as much crap as I (Everyone) give Evansville I can see where that's the better job. The pay may not be as high, but the potential fan base is higher. The administration seems slightly less incompetent.
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Redhawk » March 23rd, 2017, 7:20 am

uniftw wrote:How can any coach, at this point, willingly take that Drake job knowing that they are simply Drake's emergency back up plan because the guy they wanted played them?

There are a lot of coaches that either just want an opportunity to be "the guy" or a chance to rise up a level to continue their upward mobility track. Doesn't matter if you are choice 2 or 5 if you are confident enough in yourself to think you can get the job done.

Look at Northwestern. Who wanted that job? Collins...a longtime asst. at Duke could have held out for something better but he had faith against all odds that he could be "the guy" to win there.
Redhawk
All MVC
All MVC

Postby musiccitybulldog » March 23rd, 2017, 7:39 am

As far as I have read or heard Drake has made no announcement on a coaching hire. Just a lot of speculative tweets and opinions from "experts".
musiccitybulldog
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby unipanther99 » March 23rd, 2017, 7:43 am

Not quite an Altman to Arkansas deal, but sounds pretty close.

Is SHC fired yet? If not, why?
unipanther99
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball