Page 7 of 9

Re: Who should Drake hire?

PostPosted: March 18th, 2017, 7:06 pm
by DUBulldog
New name I saw mentioned today.....Niko Medved of Furman.

Re: Who should Drake hire?

PostPosted: March 19th, 2017, 10:26 am
by tribecalledquest
DUBulldog wrote:New name I saw mentioned today.....Niko Medved of Furman.


That would be a great hire, IMO.

Re: Who should Drake hire?

PostPosted: March 20th, 2017, 8:39 am
by Drakey
There is no ground upon which you could conclude he would be successful. He has been a head coach 4 years, and had a decent year in his fourth season. Geno Fordish?

Re: Who should Drake hire?

PostPosted: March 20th, 2017, 9:23 am
by tribecalledquest
Drakey wrote:There is no ground upon which you could conclude he would be successful. He has been a head coach 4 years, and had a decent year in his fourth season. Geno Fordish?


Is there a magic formula that concludes that someone will be successful?

The problem with Geno Ford/Bradley was the fit of the school.

Furman is a private school which is more similar to Drake than Kent State is to Bradley.

Re: Who should Drake hire?

PostPosted: March 20th, 2017, 9:33 am
by squirrel
Drakey wrote:There is no ground upon which you could conclude he would be successful. He has been a head coach 4 years, and had a decent year in his fourth season. Geno Fordish?


Too many differences to make that direct comparison. To start with, Medved has coached at a variety of different types of programs...non-DI, low-level DI, high major, you name it. He has also done it in different parts of the country...South Carolina, Minnesota, Colorado. Additionally he has done it working for coaches like Tim Miles, Dan Monson, Jim Molinari, and Larry Davis (who was Cincinnati's interim head coach for Cronin a couple years ago.) Guys who either had success or at least have insight at coaching at a variety of levels.

Geno Ford had never been out of the state of Ohio professionally, and outside of two non-DI jobs had no experience outside the MAC prior to taking the Bradley job, and with a much more limited coaching network.

Re: Who should Drake hire?

PostPosted: March 20th, 2017, 9:46 am
by squirrel
I wonder about Augustana coach Grey Giovanine-his team has been a DIII power, and they lost the national championship game by a single point over the weekend.

There was purportedly mutual interest between he and Bradley last time around.

Re: Who should Drake hire?

PostPosted: March 20th, 2017, 10:03 am
by Redhawk
I have no clue who Drake should hire but they need to find an undiscovered energetic young guy that can recruit and bring excitement to the program.

Have never understood why Drake continues to struggle in basketball. They have a great university in a larger metro area and a decent arena. They should be able to pull recruits out of Chicago, Milwaukee, Kansas City and the Twin Cities every year.

They are bound to get it right on a coach sooner or late as long as they are looking in the right places!

Re: Who should Drake hire?

PostPosted: March 20th, 2017, 2:03 pm
by DUBulldog
squirrel wrote:I wonder about Augustana coach Grey Giovanine-his team has been a DIII power, and they lost the national championship game by a single point over the weekend


Giovanine is very close with Ray Giacoletti. For that reason, I don't see it happening.

Re: Who should Drake hire?

PostPosted: March 20th, 2017, 2:05 pm
by DUBulldog
Redhawk wrote:I have no clue who Drake should hire but they need to find an undiscovered energetic young guy that can recruit and bring excitement to the program.

Have never understood why Drake continues to struggle in basketball. They have a great university in a larger metro area and a decent arena. They should be able to pull recruits out of Chicago, Milwaukee, Kansas City and the Twin Cities every year.

They are bound to get it right on a coach sooner or late as long as they are looking in the right places!


Main reason is terrible hires by ADs with no basketball experience. The only time in the last 50 years that a Drake AD had basketball experience, the Bulldogs got Tom Davis/Keno Davis. Current AD is 0 for 2 with two gigantic swing and misses.

Re: Who should Drake hire?

PostPosted: March 20th, 2017, 2:08 pm
by squirrel
DUBulldog wrote:
squirrel wrote:I wonder about Augustana coach Grey Giovanine-his team has been a DIII power, and they lost the national championship game by a single point over the weekend


Giovanine is very close with Ray Giacoletti. For that reason, I don't see it happening.


That makes perfect sense then. Cheers :Cheers:

Re: Who should Drake hire?

PostPosted: March 20th, 2017, 5:29 pm
by mvcfan
DUBulldog wrote:
squirrel wrote:I wonder about Augustana coach Grey Giovanine-his team has been a DIII power, and they lost the national championship game by a single point over the weekend


Giovanine is very close with Ray Giacoletti. For that reason, I don't see it happening.

Giovanine was an Asst. coach at WSU in the 90s.

Re: Who should Drake hire?

PostPosted: March 21st, 2017, 10:06 am
by lime
KCCI sports director says Medved, Smith, and Rutter are interviewing this week. I'd be happy with Medved or Smith. If it's Rutter, that means no one else wanted it.