Greg Lansing

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Greg Lansing

Postby Redbirds4Life » February 22nd, 2017, 8:00 am

Can someone explain how Marty Simmons has kept his job so long? It has been like 10 seasons and other than a couple CIT/CBI runs, Evansville hasn't amounted to much. His Valley win % is sub .500 and his overall is right around .500. Is it only because he is an alum?
Redbirds4Life
MVC starter
MVC starter

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby BirdsEyeView » February 22nd, 2017, 8:12 am

Wufan wrote:
Muller is hinting at something...can he get the recruits without Dana Ford?

What is Muller hinting at?
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby squirrel » February 22nd, 2017, 10:27 am

I think Lansing is overall a good coach in a tough situation. I don't know why he didn't attempt to get out of Terre Haute more aggressively during his first 4 years, when he was clearly outperforming the norm.
squirrel
All MVC
All MVC

Postby E-Villan » February 22nd, 2017, 11:08 am

Redbirds4Life wrote:Can someone explain how Marty Simmons has kept his job so long? It has been like 10 seasons and other than a couple CIT/CBI runs, Evansville hasn't amounted to much. His Valley win % is sub .500 and his overall is right around .500. Is it only because he is an alum?

Most Aces fans are asking the same thing. The Marty era is a failure, and should end as soon as possible. Unfortunately, few of us have confidence in the AD and even President to have the vision and desire to bring back this program to where it should be.

I agree with Pafan. I would be happy to take Barry right now. His personality is EXACTLY what we need to re-energize the fan base. Our success was always small school with large fan base from the community. Marty has no clue how to mine that field, but Barry certainly does. The Evansville media and boosters would eat that up.
E-Villan
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Redbirds4Life » February 22nd, 2017, 11:26 am

E-Villan wrote:
Redbirds4Life wrote:Can someone explain how Marty Simmons has kept his job so long? It has been like 10 seasons and other than a couple CIT/CBI runs, Evansville hasn't amounted to much. His Valley win % is sub .500 and his overall is right around .500. Is it only because he is an alum?

Most Aces fans are asking the same thing. The Marty era is a failure, and should end as soon as possible. Unfortunately, few of us have confidence in the AD and even President to have the vision and desire to bring back this program to where it should be.

I agree with Pafan. I would be happy to take Barry right now. His personality is EXACTLY what we need to re-energize the fan base. Our success was always small school with large fan base from the community. Marty has no clue how to mine that field, but Barry certainly does. The Evansville media and boosters would eat that up.

I have a hard time judging Barry Hinson. It is his 14th year in the MVC and has not once taken a team to the big dance. It doesn't look like he is going to get it done at SIU either. I wonder, would he really be a great fit for Evansville? Maybe, maybe not.

From all accounts, the Ford Center is pretty nice. You would think that you might be able to get some talent that would want to play there with a new coach, making it not the worst destination for a young up and coming coach to want to go.
Redbirds4Life
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby glm38 » February 22nd, 2017, 12:25 pm

IMHO Barry is a decent D1 coach with a big heart and personality. But he's not a good enough coach or recruiter to get a team to the Ncaa tourney. But He's definitely better than most of the current mvc coaches outside of Marshall and Jacobsen. His coaching skills are probably on par with Muller. But muller is a better recruiter and I don't think Barry would recruit some of the questionable characters that muller has.
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Cdizzle » February 22nd, 2017, 12:33 pm

glm38 wrote:His coaching skills are probably on par with Muller. But muller is a better recruiter and I don't think Barry would recruit some of the questionable characters that muller has.

Do we still have to call some of those guys "questionable?"
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BCPanther » February 22nd, 2017, 12:33 pm

In fairness to Barry, he got absolutely jobbed twice. Those were both NCAA teams.
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Old School MVC » February 22nd, 2017, 1:04 pm

I agree with the assumption that Lansing is a good coach, but only in the X's and O's department. But as far as a recruiter, maybe not.

Top 5 MVC X's and O's Coaches:
1. Marshall
2. Jacobson
3. Lansing
4. Barry
5. Wardle (but this could be up for debate, I am going by seeing him at Wisconsin Green Bay)

Top 5 Recruiters in MVC:
1. Marshall
2. Muller
3. Lusk
4. Moser
5. Marty

The two lists only have one name in common, and that is why they are continually the top team. I am sure the UNI folks will disagree.
Old School MVC
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby BirdsEyeView » February 22nd, 2017, 1:14 pm

Old School MVC wrote:I agree with the assumption that Lansing is a good coach, but only in the X's and O's department. But as far as a recruiter, maybe not.

Top 5 MVC X's and O's Coaches:
1. Marshall
2. Jacobson
3. Lansing
4. Barry
5. Wardle (but this could be up for debate, I am going by seeing him at Wisconsin Green Bay)

Top 5 Recruiters in MVC:
1. Marshall
2. Muller
3. Lusk
4. Moser
5. Marty

The two lists only have one name in common, and that is why they are continually the top team. I am sure the UNI folks will disagree.

Good list. Except remove Marty and put in Jacobson as #5 recruiter
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball