Greg Lansing

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Greg Lansing

Postby BCPanther » February 22nd, 2017, 2:00 pm

BirdsEyeView wrote:
uniftw wrote:
Old School MVC wrote:
Also Moser and Marty as better recruiters? ROFL. Moser was gifted one talented player when Doyle transfered back to be close to home.

Average star rating for all MVC teams with players on roster/recruited....

https://www.verbalcommits.com/conferenc ... uri-valley

1. WSU
2. ISUr
3. Loyola
10. UNI

Then Loyola should be absolutely embarrassed by the results they're getting on the floor, with recruiting rankings being the exact science they are and all.

I'd put Jacobson as the number 4 recruiter after Marshall, Muller and Lusk.

I'm also not sure he isn't better with Xs and Os than Marshall. I don't think its the slam dunk you think it is but they're certainly head and shoulders above everybody else.

What's funny, is that if you flipped rosters today both would be significantly worse teams because both guys do such a great job recruiting to their systems.
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby uniftw » February 22nd, 2017, 2:22 pm

BirdsEyeView wrote:
uniftw wrote:
Old School MVC wrote:
Also Moser and Marty as better recruiters? ROFL. Moser was gifted one talented player when Doyle transfered back to be close to home.

1. WSU
2. ISUr
3. Loyola
10. UNI

It's cute you think that matters. UNI has one signed for next year. :huh:
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BirdsEyeView » February 22nd, 2017, 2:47 pm

uniftw wrote:
BirdsEyeView wrote:
uniftw wrote:

1. WSU
2. ISUr
3. Loyola
10. UNI

It's cute you think that matters. UNI has one signed for next year. :huh:

Does it not include your current rostered players star rating as well? Not just incoming recruits...
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Cdizzle » February 22nd, 2017, 2:50 pm

I do not think recruit star ratings are a good way to evaluate anything, and I think all WSU fans should know better.

Having said that, if people want to have a 'mvc best coach' pissing match, it should just not involve Marshall and be a 'mvc 2nd best coach' pissing match.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Blers » February 22nd, 2017, 3:15 pm

The huge surge in Loyola recruiting is based primarily on the new talent brought in this year and next year. While it looks great on paper the talent has been partially offset by injury and red shirting this year. Ultimately though stars don't matter, it's what they do when they get to the school, which is more a reflection on coaching.

2016-17 class
Custer-3/4 star (playing major minutes for the first time in D1, streaky shooting, but still an above average guard)
Chastain-3 (Freshmen, redshirting after injury in third game)
Marques Townes-3 (Redshirt as a transfer)
Satterwhite- 3 (Freshmen coming off ACL tear in HS, flashing as of late)
Skokna-2 (solid, need him to be more aggressive scoring though)
Jackson-2 (clearly a steal)
Granic-2 (ehhhh)

17-18 Class
Christian Negron-3/4 star
Cam Krutwig-3 star

The recruiting class last year didn't add much. The surge began with Mullins promotion to assistant coach. Before that our only "ranked" recruit was Ben Richardson with a 3 star rating from rivals. Milt was unranked due to being injured almost all his junior year of high school and not playing summer ball after. Barring significant injuries/transfers next year will better reflect the talent level as it should mostly be on the court able to play.

To be honest i don't put Jacobson that high on recruiting either. He doesn't often dance with big name recruits (or if he has he hasn't often won). Which is totally fine... in mind i think it really enhances his coaching credibility. He recruits intentionally with a plan in place and gets the guys he needs to win. He maxes out players, recruits through families etc. He really helped build Jeremy Morgan into a great player. He just doesn't recruit with buzz i suppose. Doesn't make him bad.

As for Lansing i really don't know how to feel. It seems like the last two seasons have ended with "The team has quit on Greg." Doesn't that on some level fall on coaching? Maybe not X's and O's or recruiting... but just motivation? I've always respected how his teams play defense but it's hard to say after this year where he stands in my opinion.
Blers
All MVC
All MVC

Postby BCPanther » February 22nd, 2017, 3:30 pm

Blers wrote:The huge surge in Loyola recruiting is based primarily on the new talent brought in this year and next year. While it looks great on paper the talent has been partially offset by injury and red shirting this year. Ultimately though stars don't matter, it's what they do when they get to the school, which is more a reflection on coaching.

2016-17 class
Custer-3/4 star (playing major minutes for the first time in D1, streaky shooting, but still an above average guard)
Chastain-3 (Freshmen, redshirting after injury in third game)
Marques Townes-3 (Redshirt as a transfer)
Satterwhite- 3 (Freshmen coming off ACL tear in HS, flashing as of late)
Skokna-2 (solid, need him to be more aggressive scoring though)
Jackson-2 (clearly a steal)
Granic-2 (ehhhh)

17-18 Class
Christian Negron-3/4 star
Cam Krutwig-3 star

The recruiting class last year didn't add much. The surge began with Mullins promotion to assistant coach. Before that our only "ranked" recruit was Ben Richardson with a 3 star rating from rivals. Milt was unranked due to being injured almost all his junior year of high school and not playing summer ball after. Barring significant injuries/transfers next year will better reflect the talent level as it should mostly be on the court able to play.

To be honest i don't put Jacobson that high on recruiting either. He doesn't often dance with big name recruits (or if he has he hasn't often won). Which is totally fine... in mind i think it really enhances his coaching credibility. He recruits intentionally with a plan in place and gets the guys he needs to win. He maxes out players, recruits through families etc. He really helped build Jeremy Morgan into a great player. He just doesn't recruit with buzz i suppose. Doesn't make him bad.

As for Lansing i really don't know how to feel. It seems like the last two seasons have ended with "The team has quit on Greg." Doesn't that on some level fall on coaching? Maybe not X's and O's or recruiting... but just motivation? I've always respected how his teams play defense but it's hard to say after this year where he stands in my opinion.

Great Post.

I'm with you on Lansing. Three years ago, I may have had him in the number 3 spot, but something happened after the beat down in St Louis two years ago. That program hasn't been the same since. Now I'd definitely rank Muller and Hinson above him and place him in a tier with Moser and Marty.
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby ahunte1 » February 22nd, 2017, 3:43 pm

BCPanther wrote:I'm with you on Lansing. Three years ago, I may have had him in the number 3 spot, but something happened after the beat down in St Louis two years ago. That program hasn't been the same since.

I don't know if it was that game or something else, but what I hear from him after games just seems sad. The team didn't respond... We had no energy, etc. Obviously I'm not in practice, but I don't see a lot of energy out of Lansing either. It's really strange.
ahunte1
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby musiccitybulldog » February 22nd, 2017, 5:26 pm

Dean Wormer wrote:
Redbirds4Life wrote:It is tough, because I don't follow Indiana State.

From the outside, I see him as a very solid coach and a mediocre recruiter. Maybe that's a product of the city the school is in and the Hullman Center being kind of a dump (sorry Sycamore fans, just saying). It does seem that he has overachieved with some pretty "mediocre at best" rosters.

Is Terre Haute truly any less desirable than other places such as Cedar Falls? Hulman Center could use a little sprucing up, but I would have to rank it above the gyms UNI and Drake play in. These seem like excuses, if Jacobsen can recruit and win at UNI, then I think the right coach could anywhere else in the league.

I always liked Lansing, seems like a stand up and passionate guy....but he hasn't really produced, and the poster who noted his teams seem to run out of gas hit the nail on the head.

I would say Lusk and Simmons should be the first two canned, but next season probably should be Lansing's make or break season.

Terre Haute hosts the Tony Hulman Classic Sprint Car race at the fairgrounds and is the home of Clabber Girl baking products. Cant beat that.
musiccitybulldog
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby pafan » February 22nd, 2017, 6:15 pm

Redbirds4Life wrote:Can someone explain how Marty Simmons has kept his job so long? It has been like 10 seasons and other than a couple CIT/CBI runs, Evansville hasn't amounted to much. His Valley win % is sub .500 and his overall is right around .500. Is it only because he is an alum?

No, it's because the UE administration is timid and/or really likes Marty.

I think Marty would have never been renewed back in 2011 if the "average fan" was in charge.
sad Evansville alum
pafan
MVC Valued Member
MVC Valued Member

Postby pafan » February 22nd, 2017, 6:17 pm

musiccitybulldog wrote:Terre Haute hosts the Tony Hulman Classic Sprint Car race at the fairgrounds and is the home of Clabber Girl baking products. Cant beat that.

Tony Hulman was to Terre Haute what Charles Koch is to Wichita -- an incredibly important business figure and philanthropist. Unfortunately for Terre Haute, Tony Hulman has been dead for 20 years. As has the Pfizer plant.
sad Evansville alum
pafan
MVC Valued Member
MVC Valued Member

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball