Greg Lansing

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Greg Lansing

Postby uniftw » February 21st, 2017, 3:08 pm

I was having a discussion on Twitter today that started by looking only at where teams were in the standings and not at record. If we looked at standings I would argue the only 2 teams that are "out of place" vs realistic preseason thoughts are MSU and maybe ISUb. That eventually turned into a discussion on Lansing, so I thought I'd bring it here. I know it's been had on other topics but it always seems to get lost in the Jake vs Marshall vs Muller bullshit.

Thoughts on Lansing?
Is he a good coach that is simply in a situation where there is "no such thing" as winning by being in Terre Haute?

What kind of success would he have at a place like UNI or MSU compared to ISUb?

Is Lansing simply an average/maybe below average coach that just happened to get hired right place right time with Odum coming in.

I'm not sure Odum was Lansing's recruit (maybe he was)?
His "best" year was Odum's freshman year where they won the MVC tournament. Other than that year only once has he won more than 18 games - and NIT appearance in Odum's senior year.
Since Odum left campus he's gone 15-16, 15-17 and 10-18 (and very easily could be 10-20 to finish this regular season)

I legitimately can't form a "hard" opinion on what I think of him as a coach.
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Greg Lansing

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Greg Lansing

Postby Redbirds4Life » February 21st, 2017, 3:49 pm

It is tough, because I don't follow Indiana State.

From the outside, I see him as a very solid coach and a mediocre recruiter. Maybe that's a product of the city the school is in and the Hullman Center being kind of a dump (sorry Sycamore fans, just saying). It does seem that he has overachieved with some pretty "mediocre at best" rosters.
Redbirds4Life
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby SubGod22 » February 21st, 2017, 3:53 pm

I think he's a decent coach but seriously lacks resources to do much more. He seems to land a few fairly decent recruits but can't seem to get enough to really do something. I think that comes from the funding issue of the program
www.wheatshockers.com

Government does not solve problems; it subsidizes them.

The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help.

Unemployment insurance is a prepaid vacation for freeloaders.
SubGod22
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Cdizzle » February 21st, 2017, 3:59 pm

I got off the "Lansing is a good coach with a shoestring budget" train the last couple of years when his teams have just quit.

Outside of a 3-day St. Louis run in 2011, I'm not sure what there is to look at. 1 NCAA and 2 NIT trips, resulting in 3 blowout losses.

He was managing Odum teams to upper-ish division league finishes. The trend line is sharply downward after that.

I suppose on the plus side, there is always the chance he could recruit another Odum.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby acesfool » February 21st, 2017, 5:22 pm

He is a genius compared to what we have.
acesfool
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby pafan » February 21st, 2017, 6:41 pm

uniftw wrote:Is he a good coach that is simply in a situation where there is "no such thing" as winning by being in Terre Haute?

If he saw himself this way, don't you think he'd have taken the next plane out of Terre Haute International?

(Yes, Terre Haute's podunk airport with zero commercial flights this decade bills itself as International :!:)
sad Evansville alum
pafan
MVC Valued Member
MVC Valued Member

Postby Wufan » February 21st, 2017, 6:51 pm

acesfool wrote:He is a genius compared to what we have.

:Cheers:

Drake is in search of a new coach.

Lusk should be gone already.

Simmons SHOULD be on the hot seat now.

Lansing should be on the hot seat after another sub-500 season.

Moser and Wardle need to show something soon, but are safe for a couple more seasons.

SIU fans need to suck it up for the sake of the league. We all want Hinson in the league.

Muller is hinting at something...can he get the recruits without Dana Ford?

Marshall and Jacobson are at their schools for as long as they want to be there.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Dean Wormer » February 21st, 2017, 9:54 pm

Redbirds4Life wrote:It is tough, because I don't follow Indiana State.

From the outside, I see him as a very solid coach and a mediocre recruiter. Maybe that's a product of the city the school is in and the Hullman Center being kind of a dump (sorry Sycamore fans, just saying). It does seem that he has overachieved with some pretty "mediocre at best" rosters.

Is Terre Haute truly any less desirable than other places such as Cedar Falls? Hulman Center could use a little sprucing up, but I would have to rank it above the gyms UNI and Drake play in. These seem like excuses, if Jacobsen can recruit and win at UNI, then I think the right coach could anywhere else in the league.

I always liked Lansing, seems like a stand up and passionate guy....but he hasn't really produced, and the poster who noted his teams seem to run out of gas hit the nail on the head.

I would say Lusk and Simmons should be the first two canned, but next season probably should be Lansing's make or break season.
Dean Wormer
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby James_SIU » February 22nd, 2017, 12:30 am

Wufan wrote:
acesfool wrote:He is a genius compared to what we have.

:Cheers:

Drake is in search of a new coach.

Lusk should be gone already.

Simmons SHOULD be on the hot seat now.

Lansing should be on the hot seat after another sub-500 season.

Moser and Wardle need to show something soon, but are safe for a couple more seasons.

SIU fans need to suck it up for the sake of the league. We all want Hinson in the league.

Muller is hinting at something...can he get the recruits without Dana Ford?

Marshall and Jacobson are at their schools for as long as they want to be there.

:+1:

Hinson is doing the best he can with a s*** situation. We have to be in the play in game a couple years in a row before I would even consider hopping on the fire Hinson bandwagon.. He's getting paid nothing and the university is completely out of money.
I agree with the rest as well. Especially Lusk. I know he is a Salukis product but he hasn't done anything positive in years.
James_SIU
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby municup14 » February 22nd, 2017, 6:04 am

I've been a firm believer for a long time that Lansing is a good coach.
He's in a situation just like Evansville,for some reason it's hard to get
Decent players to go to the school.A lot of people call it Terrible Haute.
UE has a great facility and practice facility,but still struggles to get
Half way decent players.
Maybe Lansing is getting burned out on coaching.
municup14
MVC starter
MVC starter

Next

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball