Greg Lansing

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Greg Lansing

Postby Cdizzle » February 24th, 2017, 3:01 pm

I don't think Bradley is held hostage though. They tried, failed, fired, and are trying again. I thought Ford was a good hire. It didn't work out. I think Wardle was a good hire. Time will tell.

Bradley is getting good candidates because they've shown they are serious about basketball.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby LanceShock » February 24th, 2017, 10:26 pm

tribecalledquest wrote:
BCPanther wrote:Ben Jacobson made $168,000 his first two years at UNI. This year he will make $765,000 and by 2021 he hits $1,000,000.

Find the right guy, make him demonstrate success, reward him for his performance in ways other than straight cash, leverage your donors to make sure he's taken care of.

Literally every school in the Valley can follow this model.

Agreed 100%.

Bradley has screwed this up by overpaying. You don't need to pay the new coach what the old coach made. Start reasonable...and then they earn the money moving forward. Don't get held hostage by salary demands.

Jacobson and Marshall didn't start making what they make now. Not even close.

What is important about what the previous coach made is that it does show what the school is willing to pay a successful coach. It would be interesting to know if Marshall would have been interested in WSU had they not given Turgeon the raise they did after his Sweet Sixteen run.
LanceShock
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby mvcfan » February 24th, 2017, 11:18 pm

Marshall's initial contract was the exact amount as sturgeon when he left. $800,000. Marshall was getting raises before he was winning big, and was at 1 Mill. within a couple of years although progress was being made much faster than Bradley. More than 500 happened by Year 3 with a CIT. I think the NIT happened Year 5 but I may be wrong. Then Ggg jumped up to 1.5 Mill. with regular raises until the Big one. The investment was made early and he had great support from the fans quickly with a full arena almost from the start.
mvcfan
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Haha » February 25th, 2017, 7:09 am

Marshall;

Year 1: 11-20
Year 2: 17-17, CIT
Year 3: 25-10, NIT
Year 4: 29-8, NIT Champs
Year 5: 27-6, NCAA 5 seed, first round loss
Year 6: 30-9, NCAA 9 seed, Final Four
Year 7: 35-1, NCAA 1 seed, rd of 32
Year 8: 30-5, NCAA 7 seed, sweet 16
Year 9: 26-9, NCAA 10 seed play in, rd of 32
Year 10: currently 26-4
Haha
All MVC
All MVC

Postby tribecalledquest » February 25th, 2017, 11:19 am

mvcfan wrote:Marshall's initial contract was the exact amount as sturgeon when he left. $800,000. Marshall was getting raises before he was winning big, and was at 1 Mill. within a couple of years although progress was being made much faster than Bradley. More than 500 happened by Year 3 with a CIT. I think the NIT happened Year 5 but I may be wrong. Then Ggg jumped up to 1.5 Mill. with regular raises until the Big one. The investment was made early and he had great support from the fans quickly with a full arena almost from the start.

True. But always different to compare a new coach taking over for a guy who "moved on" after success vs a coach taking over for a guy who got fired for not winning enough.
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball