Valley Academics

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Valley Academics

Postby LanceShock » February 22nd, 2017, 11:58 am

Since the who should Drake hire thread got derailed by academic talk, here is a thread to discuss it.

In that thread, uniftw posted a couple of links to a website describing academics:\

UNI
http://www.collegesimply.com/colleges/i ... admission/

ISU
http://www.collegesimply.com/colleges/i ... admission/

For reference, here is WSU:
http://www.collegesimply.com/colleges/k ... admission/
(these are the only schools that came up in the discussion so far in that thread)

Looking over the data on that site for ISUr, I'm skeptical that it is really that "selective". The site states that applicants with a 22 on the ACT are regularly accepted with the minimum score 20. The site for WSU doesn't list scores but the official requirement is either a 21 on the ACT or be in the top third of your class with a 2.0 GPA in a college prep curriculum. For UNI, that site states that the minimum ACT score is 18 and applicants with a score of 20 getting regularly accepted.

The GPA data is interesting as well. Here are the average high school GPAs for the three schools
ISUr 3.36
UNI 3.21
WSU 3.47

The more I look at the data, ISUr isn't being THAT selective, but that they just don't have any automatic admission requirements. I have to wonder how many of the students that are rejected by ISUr would not ever bother applying to UNI or WSU because they know they don't meet the requirements without having to apply.
LanceShock
MVC starter
MVC starter

Valley Academics

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Valley Academics

Postby Cdizzle » February 22nd, 2017, 12:02 pm

These academics pissing matches are always a giant waste of time. 98% of D1 schools will bend over in ways one can't even imagine in order to get D1 athletes enrolled.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby uniftw » February 22nd, 2017, 12:17 pm

Cdizzle wrote:These academics pissing matches are always a giant waste of time. 98% of D1 schools will bend over in ways one can't even imagine in order to get D1 athletes enrolled.

Agreed. Which is the point I was attempting to make in regards to Drake posters saying that only 2 players on one teams roster (wouldn't name the roster) would get in to Drake and that there was a JUCO in the Valley this year (new) that Drake wanted but couldn't recruit because he wouldn't have been accepted.

This lead to a discussion of "was it ISUr or WSU" that had the 2 players and the assumption that UNI's Hunter Rhodes (went JUCO in Iowa) was the player.
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Blers » February 22nd, 2017, 12:24 pm

Cdizzle wrote:These academics pissing matches are always a giant waste of time. 98% of D1 schools will bend over in ways one can't even imagine in order to get D1 athletes enrolled.

Doesn't always work out though once you get them in, I have to imagine LU is closer to that 2% after the Marlon Jones situation in 2014: http://www.loyolaramblers.com/sports/m- ... 14aaa.html.

Requirements to get in are one thing, but an athlete still has to survive the work load at any given university. For what it's worth Drake looks to have the highest average GPA at 3.7 (LU's is 3.67).

Overall though i agree with Cdizzle in terms of getting students into the school. Universities can certainly provide "special circumstance" labels that can get athletes in; and certainly will do everything they have to to make it happen. Does still depend on the overall university culture though, Drake very well could not bend in their values.
Blers
All MVC
All MVC

Postby DUBulldog » February 22nd, 2017, 12:42 pm

Blers wrote:

Doesn't always work out though once you get them in, I have to imagine LU is closer to that 2% after the Marlon Jones situation in 2014: http://www.loyolaramblers.com/sports/m- ... 14aaa.html.

Requirements to get in are one thing, but an athlete still has to survive the work load at any given university. For what it's worth Drake looks to have the highest average GPA at 3.7 (LU's is 3.67).

Overall though i agree with Cdizzle in terms of getting students into the school. Universities can certainly provide "special circumstance" labels that can get athletes in; and certainly will do everything they have to to make it happen. Does still depend on the overall university culture though, Drake very well could not bend in their values.

I'm sure Drake bends the academic requirements for some athletes, but from what I've been told, Drake's requirements for junior college transfers immediately eliminate a significant percentage of potential juco signees. Something about what classes Drake will accept from junior colleges. So, it's possible that a kid can graduate JC with good academics, but not have enough credit hours that will be accepted at Drake. I think Drake's a good school (obviously I'm biased), but they need to get off their high horse and stop acting like they're some kind of elite school.
DUBulldog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Wufan » February 22nd, 2017, 9:27 pm

DUBulldog wrote:
Blers wrote:

I'm sure Drake bends the academic requirements for some athletes, but from what I've been told, Drake's requirements for junior college transfers immediately eliminate a significant percentage of potential juco signees. Something about what classes Drake will accept from junior colleges. So, it's possible that a kid can graduate JC with good academics, but not have enough credit hours that will be accepted at Drake. I think Drake's a good school (obviously I'm biased), but they need to get off their high horse and stop acting like they're some kind of elite school.

Drake and Loyola ARE good schools. I imagine Evansville and Bradley are too, but I'm not as familiar with their curriculum. The rest of the schools are typical mid-western schools with some really good programs, and some that are not so good. I didn't go to a Valley school, but where I did go had a great natural sciences program. The business and nursing courses were sub-par. Being as it was a small, private school, admittance wasn't hard, but paying for school was if you didn't qualify for any academic assistance.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Majik45 » February 23rd, 2017, 9:10 am

I think Bradley has had problems in the past with Juco's too. It's not about the grade point average, but more about the kids taking PE classes, basket weaving 101, etc. that don't transfer in that causes problems.
Majik45
All MVC
All MVC

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball