2017 Coaching Changes - emphasis on MVC

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: 2017 Coaching Changes - emphasis on MVC

Postby Redbirds4Life » February 24th, 2017, 9:50 am

Red wrote:
Cdizzle wrote:No way Simmons gets fired. If you were going to get rid of Simmons, you do it last year for sucking with talent. You don't sign an extension after that and then fire him after a year where you knew the team was going to struggle.

Wasn't Marty literally one wild UNI shot from dancing last season?

He sure was.

I guess my whole Marty thing is other than last year, have they ever been close to making the big dance in his 10 years....not really. It isn't like he hasn't had any talent, he has had guys like DJ Balentine and Colt Ryan, but great players. I just feel after 10 years of being mediocre at best, I don't think it's too much of a stretch to think his job security should be in question.

^The signing Marty to a job extension was so baffling, I couldn't believe they did that... Maybe I am alone on this one, but I think he is a decent recruiter and an awful coach.
Redbirds4Life
MVC starter
MVC starter

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Cdizzle » February 24th, 2017, 9:57 am

Red wrote:
Cdizzle wrote:No way Simmons gets fired. If you were going to get rid of Simmons, you do it last year for sucking with talent. You don't sign an extension after that and then fire him after a year where you knew the team was going to struggle.

One shot from going to OT.

Still, if you're pinning your career on a 3-day run to get an NCAA bid (which didn't happen) in Year 9, what does that say?
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby ahunte1 » February 24th, 2017, 10:14 am

Redbirds4Life wrote:This is the way I see it...

Moser - Safe, but needs to take another step next year for him to feel really safe

Another step forward wouldn't hurt anything, but I don't see anyone in the administration wanting to make a change in the foreseeable future, and I don't see any of the precious few big money alums who care about athletics pushing for a change.
ahunte1
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby BirdsEyeView » February 24th, 2017, 10:14 am

Cdizzle wrote:
Red wrote:

One shot from going to OT.

Still, if you're pinning your career on a 3-day run to get an NCAA bid (which didn't happen) in Year 9, what does that say?

It says this conference sucks (although Evansville schedule shot them in the foot last year).

Looking at this year for ISUr (24-5, 16-1), we still need to win Arch to feel safe for making the NCAAs, it shows how poor our conference reflects on getting quality wins. Land mines are left and right.

ISUr, is riding a 3 day run to get in most likely too.
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BCPanther » February 24th, 2017, 10:18 am

Redbirds4Life wrote:This is the way I see it...

Marshall - Safe, but could leave at anytime if the job/situation/price was right
Muller - Safe, maybe could leave for another job, but I agree with the person above, needs NCCA bid
Jacobson - Safe, but could leave at anytime if the job/situation/price was right
Moser - Safe, but needs to take another step next year for him to feel really safe
Hinson - Wild Card, SIU fans tell me a change is needed, but he is well regarded in the league so who knows.
Lusk - Hot Seat, if MSU can afford the buyout, he is gone for sure.
Wardle - Safe, team took a step in the right direction this year, but needs to keep building next season.
Simmons - Hot Seat, I would think this year would do him in, but you never know with Evansville.
Lansing - Seat is getting hotter, I think they give him at least one more year, but he needs a good year.

And...

Drake - Who knows what direction they will go....I'd contest that if they could ever get Keno Davis back, which is a big IF, I would think about it. He is the only coach who has had real success in the last decade or so. I know he kind of bailed after one year, but he also might be your ticket to getting back to more competitive basketball...but that's also if Drake wants him and if Keno would come.

Careful on Keno. Dr Tom did most of the work and took all of the losses in the rebuild and handed Keno the keys to a team that was going to be pretty good and Emmenecker, out of nowhere, made them really good.

Keno failed spectacularly in the old Big East and has had some success at CMU built largely on the back of one great scorer (Keene?) and they don't play defense at all, which won't exactly lead to success in the Valley as long as Wichita, UNI and Illinois State continue to build their programs on defense.
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby DUBulldog » February 24th, 2017, 10:20 am

Redbirds4Life wrote:Drake - Who knows what direction they will go....I'd contest that if they could ever get Keno Davis back, which is a big IF, I would think about it. He is the only coach who has had real success in the last decade or so. I know he kind of bailed after one year, but he also might be your ticket to getting back to more competitive basketball...but that's also if Drake wants him and if Keno would come.

I'm not sure I'd want Keno back. In nine seasons since leaving Drake, he's 123-124. Currently in his 5th season at Central Michigan, his team is 6-9 in the MAC. In his one season at Drake, his recruiting was terrible. Not bad, but terrible.

Two of his three fall recruits never came to Drake at the request of the coaching staff that followed. One of them ended up playing D3 ball and the other ran track at one of the Dakota schools. The third was at Drake for two years, and literally never played a minute.

At the end of his 28-5 season, he had one scholarship left.....and he used it to get a commitment from a juco point guard that Drake had asked to walk-on two years prior. If a former walk-on candidate is the best you can do coming off a top 20 season, then you cannot recruit.
DUBulldog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby PurpleAcesFootball » February 24th, 2017, 10:48 am

We are in year 10 of the Simmons era.

165-159 and 12 wins coming against sub-D1 competition

74-105 in MVC play (60-65 in last 7 years if you want to consider that a bright spot??)

Finished above .500 twice

Has coached the schools #1 and #2 all time leading scorers and all time leading rebounder

Never played in a postseason tournament that wasn't a pay for play

Year 10, a team with 6 seniors and 1 RS Jr is considered a rebuilding year.

Why would this be considered a bad track record?
PurpleAcesFootball
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby BirdsEyeView » February 24th, 2017, 10:51 am

PurpleAcesFootball wrote:We are in year 10 of the Simmons era.

74-105 in MVC play (60-65 in last 7 years if you want to consider that a bright spot??)

Has coached the schools #1 and #2 all time leading scorers and all time leading rebounder

You should immediately write this same message in an email to the Athletic Director as well.
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Redbirds4Life » February 24th, 2017, 10:53 am

PurpleAcesFootball wrote:We are in year 10 of the Simmons era.

Post of the day
Redbirds4Life
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Redbirds4Life » February 24th, 2017, 10:57 am

DUBulldog wrote:
Redbirds4Life wrote:Drake - Who knows what direction they will go....I'd contest that if they could ever get Keno Davis back, which is a big IF, I would think about it. He is the only coach who has had real success in the last decade or so. I know he kind of bailed after one year, but he also might be your ticket to getting back to more competitive basketball...but that's also if Drake wants him and if Keno would come.

I'm not sure I'd want Keno back. In nine seasons since leaving Drake, he's 123-124. Currently in his 5th season at Central Michigan, his team is 6-9 in the MAC. In his one season at Drake, his recruiting was terrible. Not bad, but terrible.

Two of his three fall recruits never came to Drake at the request of the coaching staff that followed. One of them ended up playing D3 ball and the other ran track at one of the Dakota schools. The third was at Drake for two years, and literally never played a minute.

At the end of his 28-5 season, he had one scholarship left.....and he used it to get a commitment from a juco point guard that Drake had asked to walk two years prior. If a former walk-on candidate is the best you can do coming off a top 20 season, then you cannot recruit.

Understand, I guess I don't have much of an argument for that. I think my thought was just because he had one great year there, I figure he could create some buzz and get the train back on the tracks, but from what you and the person above said, it's not as much what Keno did, that got them to the big dance.
Redbirds4Life
MVC starter
MVC starter

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball