2017 Coaching Changes - emphasis on MVC

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Postby Red » February 24th, 2017, 8:05 am

I figured that I would start a separate thread to discuss the coaching changes in college basketball with particular emphasis on the MVC. It would be nice if this thread could remain troll free.

MVC open:
Drake

Muller and Marshall have both been mentioned for several openings. Marshall could probably name the job he wanted and get it. Muller needs an NCAA bid and maybe more to draw interest in my opinion.

Any real rumors that current MVC coaches could be dismissed?
Red
All MVC
All MVC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: 2017 Coaching Changes - emphasis on MVC

Postby BCPanther » February 24th, 2017, 8:15 am

Red wrote:I figured that I would start a separate thread to discuss the coaching changes in college basketball with particular emphasis on the MVC. It would be nice if this thread could remain troll free.

MVC open:
Drake

Muller and Marshall have both been mentioned for several openings. Marshall could probably name the job he wanted and get it. Muller needs an NCAA bid and maybe more to draw interest in my opinion.

Any real rumors that current MVC coaches could be dismissed?

I would assume Lusk is done, assuming they have the cash to buy him out.

I don't think anybody else gets fired...
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Wufan » February 24th, 2017, 8:22 am

Simmons and Lansing are playing with fire.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby hot nuts » February 24th, 2017, 9:14 am

I think every year the coaches for Thursday night teams are likely to have unhappy fanbases, many of which will be ready to move onto another coach. There are exceptions such as Brian Wardle this year.
hot nuts
All MVC
All MVC

Postby SubGod22 » February 24th, 2017, 9:17 am

Wufan wrote:Simmons and Lansing are playing with fire.

I'm not sure about Simmons. Sounds like the AD and some of the fans are perfectly happy with what he's doing.

Lusk will be interesting. I think most Bears fans would agree he needs to go, but I don't know if their AD will pull the trigger or not.

Lansing probably needs a change of scenery and ISU probably needs a fresh start.
www.wheatshockers.com

Government does not solve problems; it subsidizes them.

The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help.

Unemployment insurance is a prepaid vacation for freeloaders.
SubGod22
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Cdizzle » February 24th, 2017, 9:18 am

BCPanther wrote:I would assume Lusk is done, assuming they have the cash to buy him out.

I think that's a big assumption.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Redbirds4Life » February 24th, 2017, 9:20 am

This is the way I see it...

Marshall - Safe, but could leave at anytime if the job/situation/price was right
Muller - Safe, maybe could leave for another job, but I agree with the person above, needs NCCA bid
Jacobson - Safe, but could leave at anytime if the job/situation/price was right
Moser - Safe, but needs to take another step next year for him to feel really safe
Hinson - Wild Card, SIU fans tell me a change is needed, but he is well regarded in the league so who knows.
Lusk - Hot Seat, if MSU can afford the buyout, he is gone for sure.
Wardle - Safe, team took a step in the right direction this year, but needs to keep building next season.
Simmons - Hot Seat, I would think this year would do him in, but you never know with Evansville.
Lansing - Seat is getting hotter, I think they give him at least one more year, but he needs a good year.

And...

Drake - Who knows what direction they will go....I'd contest that if they could ever get Keno Davis back, which is a big IF, I would think about it. He is the only coach who has had real success in the last decade or so. I know he kind of bailed after one year, but he also might be your ticket to getting back to more competitive basketball...but that's also if Drake wants him and if Keno would come.
Redbirds4Life
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Cdizzle » February 24th, 2017, 9:23 am

No way Simmons gets fired. If you were going to get rid of Simmons, you do it last year for sucking with talent. You don't sign an extension after that and then fire him after a year where you knew the team was going to struggle.

Lusk is the only one in trouble this year, and I don't know if MSU has the cash to make the move. I hope they do. They have enough returning talent to sell to a good incoming coach as not a total rebuild.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BirdsEyeView » February 24th, 2017, 9:36 am

Cdizzle wrote:No way Simmons gets fired. If you were going to get rid of Simmons, you do it last year for sucking with talent. You don't sign an extension after that and then fire him after a year where you knew the team was going to struggle.

Lusk is the only one in trouble this year, and I don't know if MSU has the cash to make the move. I hope they do. They have enough returning talent to sell to a good incoming coach as not a total rebuild.

I agree with this. However, all that talent might transfer away too if they get rid of Lusk (risk you take with a coaching change). We know this very well with Tim Jankovich leaving and Nic Moore following him to SMU.
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Cdizzle » February 24th, 2017, 9:38 am

BirdsEyeView wrote:
Cdizzle wrote:No way Simmons gets fired. If you were going to get rid of Simmons, you do it last year for sucking with talent. You don't sign an extension after that and then fire him after a year where you knew the team was going to struggle.

I agree with this. However, all that talent might transfer away too if they get rid of Lusk (risk you take with a coaching change). We know this very well with Tim Jankovich leaving and Nic Moore following him to SMU.

It's a risk, though one worth taking I think, as that talent with this coach clearly isn't getting it done. And I doubt Lusk is going to find himself on the bench of Larry Brown after he is fired.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Next

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball