Final Regular Season Games

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Final Regular Season Games

Postby BCPanther » February 24th, 2017, 1:56 pm

ahunte1 wrote:
SubGod22 wrote:National TV networks say otherwise. Unless you want everyone playing in the morning.

Just saying it's not really fair.

It is what it is.

I can't imaging any coach not playing to win in order to avoid someone in the tournament. Rematches happen all the time, it's just how it goes.
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby ahunte1 » February 24th, 2017, 2:02 pm

BCPanther wrote:It is what it is.

I can't imaging any coach not playing to win in order to avoid someone in the tournament. Rematches happen all the time, it's just how it goes.

I think that's probably right.
ahunte1
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby goramblers2011 » February 24th, 2017, 2:13 pm

But in this situation, Loyola wouldn't easing up because they are trying to avoid someone. They'd be easing up/resting players because they'd already be locked in as a 4/5 seed. If UNI loses, Loyola really has nothing to play for except finishing .500 in conference which would just be a inconsequential feather in the cap. I guess same goes for SIU. Maybe both teams will rest all their key players and we will see SIU bench vs LUC bench and then the real game takes place next Friday.
goramblers2011
All MVC
All MVC

Postby tribecalledquest » February 24th, 2017, 2:57 pm

goramblers2011 wrote:But in this situation, Loyola wouldn't easing up because they are trying to avoid someone. They'd be easing up/resting players because they'd already be locked in as a 4/5 seed. If UNI loses, Loyola really has nothing to play for except finishing .500 in conference which would just be a inconsequential feather in the cap. I guess same goes for SIU. Maybe both teams will rest all their key players and we will see SIU bench vs LUC bench and then the real game takes place next Friday.

If any coach/team goes easy and doesn't have a three or more game lead in the league then I would question everything they do. How would taking it easy be good for anyone in Loyola's situation?
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BirdsEyeView » February 24th, 2017, 3:15 pm

tribecalledquest wrote:
goramblers2011 wrote:But in this situation, Loyola wouldn't easing up because they are trying to avoid someone. They'd be easing up/resting players because they'd already be locked in as a 4/5 seed. If UNI loses, Loyola really has nothing to play for except finishing .500 in conference which would just be a inconsequential feather in the cap. I guess same goes for SIU. Maybe both teams will rest all their key players and we will see SIU bench vs LUC bench and then the real game takes place next Friday.

If any coach/team goes easy and doesn't have a three or more game lead in the league then I would question everything they do. How would taking it easy be good for anyone in Loyola's situation?

What scenario needs to happen where Loyola is #3 seed?
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Blers » February 24th, 2017, 3:15 pm

tribecalledquest wrote:

I don't necessarily endorses it. But to preserve health of your starting 5 who've had a lot of minutes pile up. I'd prefer to keep Milts minutes closer to 25-30 than 40. Especially cuz if we ride our guys and one of them gets hurt it becomes "should they have even been playing this long/at all etc etc."

Keep in mind Chicagos the town where rest comes up with our pro sports. Derrick Rose first tore his ACL at the end of a game that was already won, Chapman not getting rest before game 7 of the World Series was a huge talking point.... it's hard for me not to think about stuff like that.

Then there's the X's and O's. Do you really wanna show your hand to SIU right before the matchup? Or do you save some for the next game. That's something SIU likely would ponder as well. After the first LU WSU game Marshall mentioned he saved some defenseive sets against the pick and roll for the second game against LU. Part of the larger game of what do you show and what do you not. All semantics at this point since we're not with the coaches.

I always want my team to play to win. But it's a fun point to ponder nonetheless.
Blers
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Blers » February 24th, 2017, 3:16 pm

BirdsEyeView wrote:
tribecalledquest wrote:

What scenario needs to happen where Loyola is #3 seed?

We win, UNI loses and some RPI help.
Blers
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Stickboy46 » February 24th, 2017, 4:16 pm

Old School MVC wrote:Having the 7:00 pm game, Loyola might play as hard as they have to so they can stay away from WSU. If ISUr wins, Loyola may rest some players to get the 4 seed.

Are they really concerned about about rest for a game 6 days later? This is the longest break really anyone has had since December anyways.
Stickboy46
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Aargh » February 24th, 2017, 9:52 pm

Anybody who's picking all the home teams hasn't sen WSU in the last month. The Shox might have a stumble game, but even with a sub-par game (for them) they can probably still pull out a fairly easy win.

Take it from the sportswriter that covers the Bears. After the first WSU/MSU game he wrote, "Wichita State's second unit would be the 3 seed in St. Louis".
Last edited by Aargh on February 25th, 2017, 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aargh
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby tribecalledquest » February 24th, 2017, 10:48 pm

Stickboy46 wrote:
Old School MVC wrote:Having the 7:00 pm game, Loyola might play as hard as they have to so they can stay away from WSU. If ISUr wins, Loyola may rest some players to get the 4 seed.

Are they really concerned about about rest for a game 6 days later? This is the longest break really anyone has had since December anyways.

Right. What's the difference of 28 minutes and 35 minutes when you don't play for six days?
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball