Congrats, Shockers

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Congrats, Shockers

Postby Cdizzle » March 5th, 2017, 8:56 pm

I still don't know how our defense will hold up against teams that are actually good offensively.

And I love Frankamp and Shamet the last 7 weeks, but they are pretty untested against guards that pressure, which could be problematic.

Still, WSU can score more easily this year than maybe any team we've had, with the possible exception of the undefeated team. They scored 71 today on a team that has a better defense than WSU is likely to see in the first weekend and knows the entire WSU roster and system.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Wufan » March 5th, 2017, 9:30 pm

I don't remember what thread it was, but there was some pre-tourney discussion on defensive match-ups. Over the last several weeks, WSU has placed the 6-6, 220 lb Zach Brown on the opposition PG (Jaylon Brown was the exception). While he is offensively anemic, he is one of the best defenders in the MVC, truly capable of guarding the 1-4. He only plays about 20 minutes a game and WSU has been switching a lot on screens, so he didn't do it alone, but he was very good at shutting down the opposition (Dequon Miller), forcing them to be volume shooters (Lee), or at least disrupting the initiation of the offense. He did a decent job on Lee today, but more impressive was that our skinny kids, McDuffie and Shamet, did great on Hawkins and McIntosh respectively. While they both have length and quickness, neither has the bulk to make them obvious. At h-ups. I'm surprised Dan didn't post these guys up more. It was an interesting move that I didn't think would work.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BirdsEyeView » March 5th, 2017, 11:07 pm

Congrats Shox.

I would guess a 6 or 7 seed for you guys....which means you'll get a 10
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Redbirds4Life » March 6th, 2017, 8:24 am

Sucks to see the boys go down, but hats off to the Shox. Better team won the game. Not much else to be said, ISU is really good, but WSU is just another level. Wichita State will probably be looking at an 8 or 9ish type seed, which is way too low for that team. If in the 2nd round they play a #1 or #2, look out for them. Wichita State is one of the scariest teams in the field for any of the big dogs. Hope they get it done.

As for the Redbirds, N-I-T Bound. - Which is a shame...
Redbirds4Life
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby LanceShock » March 6th, 2017, 8:59 am

Redbirds4Life wrote:Sucks to see the boys go down, but hats off to the Shox. Better team won the game. Not much else to be said, ISU is really good, but WSU is just another level. Wichita State will probably be looking at an 8 or 9ish type seed, which is way too low for that team. If in the 2nd round they play a #1 or #2, look out for them. Wichita State is one of the scariest teams in the field for any of the big dogs. Hope they get it done.

I'm scared that you are right about that. With all of the "losses don't matter" and top wins matter talk, it doesn't sound good for the Redbirds.

It may be a lousy consolation prize, but a deep NIT run can still be fun to watch if they can regroup and rest up over the next week. Plus, Illinois State will probably be mentioned quite a bit in all the bubble talk the next week. Again, not exactly what you want, but still good for your program.
LanceShock
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Redbirds4Life » March 6th, 2017, 9:15 am

LanceShock wrote:
Redbirds4Life wrote:Sucks to see the boys go down, but hats off to the Shox. Better team won the game. Not much else to be said, ISU is really good, but WSU is just another level. Wichita State will probably be looking at an 8 or 9ish type seed, which is way too low for that team. If in the 2nd round they play a #1 or #2, look out for them. Wichita State is one of the scariest teams in the field for any of the big dogs. Hope they get it done.

I'm scared that you are right about that. With all of the "losses don't matter" and top wins matter talk, it doesn't sound good for the Redbirds.

It may be a lousy consolation prize, but a deep NIT run can still be fun to watch if they can regroup and rest up over the next week. Plus, Illinois State will probably be mentioned quite a bit in all the bubble talk the next week. Again, not exactly what you want, but still good for your program.

I hope that Wichita State beats some ass in the NCAAs, I really do. I am among the few ISU fans that doesn't totally hate Wichita State.

As for the consolation prize, after 19 years of missing the big dance and all you have is some NIT games here and there, can't say that really gets me too excited. To be honest, I didn't really care all that much the last time they made the NIT.
Redbirds4Life
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Redhawk » March 6th, 2017, 9:23 am

Redbirds4Life wrote:
I am among the few ISU fans that doesn't totally hate Wichita State.

The majority of Redbird fans do not hate WSU.
Redhawk
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Redbirds4Life » March 6th, 2017, 10:02 am

Redhawk wrote:
Redbirds4Life wrote:

I don't think that you and I talk to the same Redbird fans then...
Redbirds4Life
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby BirdsEyeView » March 6th, 2017, 10:44 am

Redbirds4Life wrote:
Redhawk wrote:
Redbirds4Life wrote:

I don't think that you and I talk to the same Redbird fans then...

There is a difference between jealousy and hatred.
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby purple&orange » March 6th, 2017, 4:39 pm

Congrats on winning this past weekend and best of luck on making a run in the NCAAs. They are a fun group to watch and I can see them having a great opportunity to make a run. Hard to believe that none of the guys playing meaningful minutes are seniors.
purple&orange
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball