Marshall

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Marshall

Postby BCPanther » March 8th, 2017, 1:16 pm

acepurple84 wrote:For hose thinking Indiana will be after Marshall might be off base. Indiana fans want Brad Stevens form the Celts and Butler before that. Marshall would be their 2nd pick and I do not think Marshall would accept that. And I don't blame him.

Brad Stevens ain't happening. He's two years away from having the best roster in the NBA with all the draft picks they've stockpiled.

My guess is that Stevens and Alford both have to tell them 'No' before they start their 'real' search.
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Cdizzle » March 8th, 2017, 1:20 pm

Aces1982 wrote:And Illinois St has won 18 games 9 of the last 10 years. They have not had any NCAA appearances but still a good mid major program.

Aaaaand, we're done here.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Aces1982 » March 8th, 2017, 1:24 pm

Cdizzle wrote:
Aces1982 wrote:And Illinois St has won 18 games 9 of the last 10 years. They have not had any NCAA appearances but still a good mid major program.

You can hate them all you want. They have a good mid major program.

You will agree that Shockers run started in the 2011 season when you won the NIT. But before that, from 2000-2010, Wichita only won 18 games 5 of those years. The point is, the Shockers were not always this powerhouse. Anything can happen.
Aces1982
All MVC
All MVC

Postby TheObserver » March 8th, 2017, 1:27 pm

Aces1982 wrote:
Cdizzle wrote:

You can hate them all you want. They have a good mid major program.

You will agree that Shockers run started in the 2011 season when you won the NIT. But before that, from 2000-2010, Wichita only won 18 games 5 of those years. The point is, the Shockers were not always this powerhouse. Anything can happen.

And they also had a Sweet 16 in that time period. Not that that matters or anything.

For all the whining you do about WSU fans being deplorable, you should look in the mirror.
TheObserver
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby BirdsEyeView » March 8th, 2017, 1:30 pm

Cdizzle wrote:
BirdsEyeView wrote:
Problem is the AAC is about #7 in conference rankings, which is an upgrade, but not top 5. Could WSU leave for AAC and then a real high level P5 school call Marshall for their job opening and he still leaves?
It's like getting asked out by the pretty hot chick (AAC) and saying "see ya" to the average girl (MVC)....only to eventually end up with the hottest girl in school (ACC type top school)

I feel to see how this is a negative for WSU?

Because WSU goes to the AAC (makes it better), but Marshall eventually still leaves to a top program in the ACC, Big 10, Big 12, SEC or whatever since the job is still an upgrade over being in the AAC.

Now you are in the AAC, a tougher conference, without the man that got you there. (obviously this is all hypothetical and shouldn't be analyzed too deeply)
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Aces1982 » March 8th, 2017, 1:35 pm

The last 6 years has separated WSU and all other MVC programs. BUT......prior to that run. Illinois St was a better program then WSU. Heck from 85-2010 SIU was a better program then WSU.

Wichita has been very impressive the last 6 years. But lot of Shocker faithful forget the years prior to that and want to dismiss those years.

Again, anything can happen. Any program can make a turn around, for the good and the bad. And it probably will happen and could happen with something as simple as a coaching change. I'm sure SIU never dreamed that they would have the recent years they have had but it happens.
Aces1982
All MVC
All MVC

Postby mvcfan » March 8th, 2017, 1:37 pm

i got it. We are too good for our britches and the lucky to be a part of Evansville, and company. :)
mvcfan
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Blers » March 8th, 2017, 1:43 pm

Cdizzle wrote:
Blers wrote:There are good programs in the valley right now

Name 2.

Aw come on. Pretty important to quote a full sentence... "There are good programs in the valley right now, but they're good solid mid majors."

UNI is a good program. You don't have to like that they flop but they've done some nice things. They shoulda been in the Sweet 16 last season if not for a historic collapse (the counter is they made a half court shot to get in the second round so i guess it evens out)

Illinois State had a good season and while i don't agree with Muller's personal decisions, he ultimately got results down the stretch and is on the bubble (not trying to debate they'll get in, still, it's progress). They've won 65 games in the last 3 seasons.

Then from a program stand point there's Bradley which has a lot of history I would not at all be surprised to take another step forward.

In terms of teams on the rise that could potentially grow into something:
Loyola was the only MVC team outside ISU and WSU that finished in Kenpom's top 100. Need to close out games and get more wins though,that's all that really matters, same can mostly be said for MSU as well (both aren't there yet, so hold your knives before you attack it, but there's potential to go either way). Coaching questions need to be answered in both these cases but they're better than where they were a few years back.

I guess for any of this to matter you need to define what a "solid mid major" are, Wichita is not a solid mid major. It's far beyond that! All this to say, i'd love for WSU to stay, but I understand why they'd wanna go.
Blers
All MVC
All MVC

Postby TheObserver » March 8th, 2017, 2:06 pm

Aces1982 wrote:The last 6 years has separated WSU and all other MVC programs. BUT......prior to that run. Illinois St was a better program then WSU. Heck from 85-2010 SIU was a better program then WSU.

Wichita has been very impressive the last 6 years. But lot of Shocker faithful forget the years prior to that and want to dismiss those years.

Again, anything can happen. Any program can make a turn around, for the good and the bad. And it probably will happen and could happen with something as simple as a coaching change. I'm sure SIU never dreamed that they would have the recent years they have had but it happens.

I stopped reading after the second sentence.

You're the worst troll of all time.
TheObserver
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Aces1982 » March 8th, 2017, 2:17 pm

TheObserver wrote:
Aces1982 wrote:The last 6 years has separated WSU and all other MVC programs. BUT......prior to that run. Illinois St was a better program then WSU. Heck from 85-2010 SIU was a better program then WSU.

I stopped reading after the second sentence.

You're the worst troll of all time.

From 1985-2010, a 25 year span. Right before the run WSU went on.

You tell me who is the better program.

Team A
4 NCAA appearances
4 regular season champ
3 tournament champ

Team B
3 NCAA appearances
1 S16
1 season champ
1 tournament champ

Team C
9 NCCA appearances