Marshall

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Marshall

Postby Snaggletooth » March 6th, 2017, 1:27 pm

BEARZ77 wrote:The other thing that may have begun to irk GM is that the margin for error in the MVC is so small; had WSU lost yesterday, he would have had to sit there all week knowing he had a team that has great potential for a deep run and not knowing if they would get the chance.

Well that issue is about to be rectified sooner rather than later.
Snaggletooth
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby UE-grad » March 6th, 2017, 3:57 pm

I for one can't believe that SOLO Cup or Yetti haven't signed HCGM to an endorsement deal. He's better than the plain Styrofoam cups he always has in his hand.

:dance: :D
UE-grad
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby musiccitybulldog » March 6th, 2017, 4:08 pm

This is just personal observation. I could see Marshall stepping up to the challenge. He could create the pinnacle of big time basketball at Indiana, be bigger than Bobby Knight.

But, if he makes a deep run this year, the same team looks good for the next year so maybe he would just stay where he is at.
musiccitybulldog
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby All-MVC Fan » March 6th, 2017, 4:09 pm

Snaggletooth wrote:Well they have not sniffed that in several decades. Reality Indiana basketball was Bobby Knight. He made the program what it was. They are likely never to see those days again.

I wouldn't be so sure. They won National Championships before Bob Knight, and they'll win them again. Indiana is a premier basketball job, even with two decades of "meh..." Marshall could be wildly successful there. Not sure he'd want to go there, but he'd be wildly successful if he did.

I mean, I hate Indiana, but I recognize what the potential is. Those banners are a tremendous selling point. Not to mention being a celebrity from the day you sign with them. The right coach could create a juggernaut there - basketball is king. Always has been...
All-MVC Fan
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby purple&orange » March 6th, 2017, 4:34 pm

If Indiana gets rid of Crean, Marshall should be their first call, doesn't mean it will be but it should be. The guy is a winner, doesn't get into trouble with the NCAA and has some of those hard-nosed traits that gave Knight a God-like status.

Watching Wichita up close and personal all weekend, they play extremely hard, are well coached, play together and get a lot out of the individual talent. They win the right way, don't break NCAA rules. It struck me when Butler beat Villanova at their place that Butler is now what Indiana used to be. I think there are some of those same traits with Wichita State/Marshall.

From an outsiders view, I think it'd take a lot to get Marshall to leave, he's proven that a Power 5 league isn't enough, although with the history and resources available, Indiana is of the best jobs in the country. Bigger doesn't always mean better.
purple&orange
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby Pickwick68 » March 6th, 2017, 4:52 pm

Marshall isn't going anywhere. He already answered that question last night. With seven years left on a 3 million a year contract. He says he absolutely could retire from WSU!!
Pickwick68
MVC Walk On
MVC Walk On

Postby Snaggletooth » March 6th, 2017, 5:45 pm

All-MVC Fan wrote:
I wouldn't be so sure. They won National Championships before Bob Knight, and they'll win them again.

LOL, in 1952.

I mean, I hate Indiana, but I recognize what the potential is.

Indiana is overrated as a program. And the B10 is a much different and harder conference than even when Knight was there. The competition is so much greater, you will never see Indiana be the national power they once were under Knight.
Snaggletooth
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Aces1982 » March 6th, 2017, 8:28 pm

Snaggletooth wrote:
All-MVC Fan wrote:
I wouldn't be so sure. They won National Championships before Bob Knight, and they'll win them again.

LOL, in 1952.

Indiana is overrated as a program. And the B10 is a much different and harder conference than even when Knight was there. The competition is so much greater, you will never see Indiana be the national power they once were under Knight.

I believe they won the Big 10 just a couple of years ago. Mike Davis took them to a Final Four after Knight.

Make no mistake about it. It is one of the top 10 if not 5 coaching destinations in the country.
UCLA
Duke
UNC
KU
UK

Hard pressed to find better.

17k sold out almost every game. Playing in arguably one of the top 2 conferences year in and year out.
Every game is either on Big 10 channel, ESPN or CBS. Not to mention being king in Indiana if you do well.
Aces1982
All MVC
All MVC

Postby municup14 » March 6th, 2017, 8:40 pm

In my mind Marshall will not leave the Shockers.Severals reasons why.Number1
I believe he loves Wichita.He makes a ton of money.And this year or next year
Will be Wichitas last year in the MVC.If the administration at Wichita says no
To going to another conference,then Marshall will leave.He wants to win a
National title and I believe he doesn't think he can do it in the MVC.
municup14
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Snaggletooth » March 6th, 2017, 11:44 pm

Aces1982 wrote:
Snaggletooth wrote:
All-MVC Fan wrote:

LOL, in 1952.

I believe they won the Big 10 just a couple of years ago. Mike Davis took them to a Final Four after Knight.

Make no mistake about it. It is one of the top 10 if not 5 coaching destinations in the country.
UCLA
Duke
UNC
KU
UK

Hard pressed to find better.

There coaching hires says differently. if they were really so great they would not had to settle for Davis/Sample/Crean type coaches.

When people think of the B10 they think of:

1. B10 can't count
2. Football
3. In Basketball - Purdue, Maryland, wisc., Michigan, Mich St

Indiana is solid program, but Purdue has passed them by as best in the state.
Snaggletooth
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball