Marshall

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Marshall

Postby Stickboy46 » March 17th, 2017, 2:53 pm

:|
glm38 wrote:
UEACES80 wrote:From Sports Illustrated (online) related to Indiana Basketball Coaching search and the chances of Marshall as a candidate:

Gregg Marshall, Wichita State

There are few candidates on the board who could potentially win the way Knight did at Indiana. No one will ever question Marshall’s fire, coaching acumen and ability to identify and develop players. But multiple athletic directors who’ve explored him as a candidate over the years have come away squeamish, as he’s as overbearing as he is talented. (Texas officials didn’t even kick the tires, which should tell you something.) Marshall’s lack of self-awareness would make the jump from the backwoods of the Valley to the fishbowl of Bloomington a potentially untenable leap. Indiana is one of the few places that could pony up the $4 million annual salary likely needed pay Marshall, but if Tom Crean’s personality wore on people here, it’s hard to imagine Marshall would be received better.

Interesting. I never thought of Marshall as overbearing. But I imagine he doesn't suffer fools lightly. And let's face it some AD'S and college administrators can act pretty foolish in regards to college athletics.

Marshall wants total control of a program. Will Indiana give him that? From what I've heard of Indiana's AD, he's a control freak, so that doesn't sound like a match.
Stickboy46
All MVC
All MVC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Stickboy46 » March 17th, 2017, 3:06 pm

Redhawk wrote:
Stickboy46 wrote:
musiccitybulldog wrote:I think NC State would be the place for Marshall. Building it up to beat the teams on HWY 15-501.
He could probably have a Char-Grill every day also.

Kevin Keats was announced as their primary target today.

Yep...Keats sounds about right for NC State.

Marshall isn't leaving the Shockers for the 3rd or 4th best program in a state!

It's official

"NC State has agreed to deal with UNC Wilmington coach Kevin Keatts, sources told ESPN. https://t.co/js0dM1c5zf "
Stickboy46
All MVC
All MVC

Postby tribecalledquest » March 18th, 2017, 11:54 am

glm38 wrote:
UEACES80 wrote:From Sports Illustrated (online) related to Indiana Basketball Coaching search and the chances of Marshall as a candidate:

Gregg Marshall, Wichita State

There are few candidates on the board who could potentially win the way Knight did at Indiana. No one will ever question Marshall’s fire, coaching acumen and ability to identify and develop players. But multiple athletic directors who’ve explored him as a candidate over the years have come away squeamish, as he’s as overbearing as he is talented. (Texas officials didn’t even kick the tires, which should tell you something.) Marshall’s lack of self-awareness would make the jump from the backwoods of the Valley to the fishbowl of Bloomington a potentially untenable leap. Indiana is one of the few places that could pony up the $4 million annual salary likely needed pay Marshall, but if Tom Crean’s personality wore on people here, it’s hard to imagine Marshall would be received better.

Interesting. I never thought of Marshall as overbearing. But I imagine he doesn't suffer fools lightly. And let's face it some AD'S and college administrators can act pretty foolish in regards to college athletics.

True or not that is the reputation Marshall has earned. In coaching circles he is highly, highly regarded. Among administrators not so much.
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby SubGod22 » March 18th, 2017, 11:58 am

He speaks his mind and isn't down with the PC culture. That doesn't fly well with some admins and programs. It works beautifully in Wichita.
www.wheatshockers.com

Government does not solve problems; it subsidizes them.

The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help.

Unemployment insurance is a prepaid vacation for freeloaders.
SubGod22
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Stickboy46 » March 18th, 2017, 2:53 pm

Take Illinois off the board as they hire Brad Underwood from Oklahoma State after 1 year.
Stickboy46
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Cdizzle » March 18th, 2017, 3:08 pm

MARSHALL TO OKLAHOMA STATE
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby acepurple84 » March 18th, 2017, 3:29 pm

Everyone don't get your panties in a wad. Marshall is not going to go anywhere. Why should he? He has the world the ass. His teams will be going to the tourney for the near future. He is paid well. He has control of the program like he wants. WSU will match up with anyone in the country. Now everyone lets get behind WSU and ISU. It would be great to have them win both to win both tourneys.
acepurple84
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby TheObserver » March 18th, 2017, 4:50 pm

acepurple84 wrote:Everyone don't get your panties in a wad. Marshall is not going to go anywhere. Why should he? He has the world the ass. His teams will be going to the tourney for the near future. He is paid well. He has control of the program like he wants. WSU will match up with anyone in the country. Now everyone lets get behind WSU and ISU. It would be great to have them win both to win both tourneys.

Good post. Too bad your fellow fan is a moron who knows nothing. Speaking of which, where did that little nub run off to?
TheObserver
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Aces1982 » March 18th, 2017, 5:27 pm

TheObserver wrote:
acepurple84 wrote:Everyone don't get your panties in a wad. Marshall is not going to go anywhere. Why should he? He has the world the ass. His teams will be going to the tourney for the near future. He is paid well. He has control of the program like he wants. WSU will match up with anyone in the country. Now everyone lets get behind WSU and ISU. It would be great to have them win both to win both tourneys.

Good post. Too bad your fellow fan is a moron who knows nothing. Speaking of which, where did that little nub run off to?

Miss me?

I think it is funny that people post things that say he is NOT going anywhere or he IS going to leave

I have never suggested Marshall was leaving. I have said I don't know what he will do BUT this is a job he would leave for. That doesn't mean he is or isn't. But it is a job he would entertain and if I was a fan I would be worried.

I know, if he does not go to IU that the idiot above will come on here and say that I was owned and should be embarrassed. Why would he do that? Cause he is stupid and loves to argue and has to have the last word.

Again, I don't know what he will do. I don't know him on a personal level and neither does anyone on this board. What I do know is, I doubt, he if he is like 99% of other coaches, he wants to end his career at Wichita because all coaches have egos and all coaches want to go up the ladder as high as they can. Now Marshall could be that rare coach that isn't that way.
Aces1982
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Cdizzle » March 18th, 2017, 7:35 pm

You make the poor assumption that WSU is not the top of the ladder. I can see how that would skew your opinions.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball