Marshall

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Marshall

Postby Snaggletooth » March 6th, 2017, 5:45 pm

All-MVC Fan wrote:
I wouldn't be so sure. They won National Championships before Bob Knight, and they'll win them again.

LOL, in 1952.

I mean, I hate Indiana, but I recognize what the potential is.

Indiana is overrated as a program. And the B10 is a much different and harder conference than even when Knight was there. The competition is so much greater, you will never see Indiana be the national power they once were under Knight.
Snaggletooth
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Aces1982 » March 6th, 2017, 8:28 pm

Snaggletooth wrote:
All-MVC Fan wrote:
I wouldn't be so sure. They won National Championships before Bob Knight, and they'll win them again.

LOL, in 1952.

Indiana is overrated as a program. And the B10 is a much different and harder conference than even when Knight was there. The competition is so much greater, you will never see Indiana be the national power they once were under Knight.

I believe they won the Big 10 just a couple of years ago. Mike Davis took them to a Final Four after Knight.

Make no mistake about it. It is one of the top 10 if not 5 coaching destinations in the country.
UCLA
Duke
UNC
KU
UK

Hard pressed to find better.

17k sold out almost every game. Playing in arguably one of the top 2 conferences year in and year out.
Every game is either on Big 10 channel, ESPN or CBS. Not to mention being king in Indiana if you do well.
Aces1982
All MVC
All MVC

Postby municup14 » March 6th, 2017, 8:40 pm

In my mind Marshall will not leave the Shockers.Severals reasons why.Number1
I believe he loves Wichita.He makes a ton of money.And this year or next year
Will be Wichitas last year in the MVC.If the administration at Wichita says no
To going to another conference,then Marshall will leave.He wants to win a
National title and I believe he doesn't think he can do it in the MVC.
municup14
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Snaggletooth » March 6th, 2017, 11:44 pm

Aces1982 wrote:
Snaggletooth wrote:
All-MVC Fan wrote:

LOL, in 1952.

I believe they won the Big 10 just a couple of years ago. Mike Davis took them to a Final Four after Knight.

Make no mistake about it. It is one of the top 10 if not 5 coaching destinations in the country.
UCLA
Duke
UNC
KU
UK

Hard pressed to find better.

There coaching hires says differently. if they were really so great they would not had to settle for Davis/Sample/Crean type coaches.

When people think of the B10 they think of:

1. B10 can't count
2. Football
3. In Basketball - Purdue, Maryland, wisc., Michigan, Mich St

Indiana is solid program, but Purdue has passed them by as best in the state.
Snaggletooth
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Aces1982 » March 7th, 2017, 12:08 am

You need to stick to basketball that is played in Kansas because you don't know much about basketball in Indiana. IU has won 2 Big 10 titles in last 6 years and have finished ahead of Purdue 4 of the last 6 years.

IU is still king in Indiana. And is still very significant in the Big 10.
Aces1982
All MVC
All MVC

Postby purple&orange » March 7th, 2017, 12:11 am

I strongly disagree with Purdue passing Indiana as far as in state. Not too long ago Purdue wasn't making NCAA Tournaments and although they are clearly better this year Indiana won the Big Ten last season. If you argued Notre Dame and Butler have passed both as of late, I'd buy that.

Indiana promoted Davis who has said he wasn't ready for that job when he got it, then turned to Sampson, a terrible hire who had NCAA/graduation issues at Oklahoma, just a terrible fit for Indiana. Graduate players, win, and do it cleanly......that's important at Indiana and not in that order. Then Crean took 3 years to clean up the mess left in the wake of Sampson and the last 4 years have been so up and down.

2013: Big Ten title, 1 seed, L to Syracuse in Sweet Sixtenn
2014: Missed NCAAs
2015: 10 seed, Lost to Wichita State in Round 1
2016: Big Ten title, 5 seed, L to North Carolina in Sweet Sixteen

I personally don't think Crean goes after this season, his buyout is $4 million until summer where it drops down to $1 million. Now he may choose to leave on his own, but I don't think Indiana fires him. That buyout is a lot, even for Indiana who doesn't print money hand over fist due that some football schools can, but there's always a chance a booster or collection of boosters take care of the buyout and move on.

Indiana is a great job because of tradition, 5 National Titles, 22 Big Ten Titles, last undefeated National Champion. Indiana is a great state for talent, although recruiting is as national/international as ever. Indiana is certainly a basketball school, it's a destination job. As I said earlier bigger isn't always better and I don't think Marshall feels like he has to move to a bigger name to validate his career at all. If he loves Wichita as much as some have said, then he may not move for a long time because I think he's proven and proving here in the moment that he can win, compete with just about anyone in the country.

Regardless I'm pretty sure nobody will be happy to see Wichita State in their bracket this Sunday, personally I hope they get Kentucky at some point so Cal will whine about it and so they can knock his Cats out of the tournament.
purple&orange
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby mvcfan » March 7th, 2017, 7:30 am

So Crean's buyout is 4 Million. What is he getting paid?
mvcfan
All MVC
All MVC

Postby ACECARD » March 7th, 2017, 11:26 am

mvcfan wrote:So Crean's buyout is 4 Million. What is he getting paid?

Crean's base salary is 3.16 million per year for the rest of this decade, plus performance bonuses that could add another $55,000 per year. I could live on that.
ACECARD
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Wufan » March 7th, 2017, 12:02 pm

mvcfan wrote:So Crean's buyout is 4 Million. What is he getting paid?

Slightly less than Narshall.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BirdsEyeView » March 7th, 2017, 12:18 pm

Every year with this topic. WTF.

Are there any founded talk about IU firing Crean and Marshall being a candidate or is this just a current pipe dream from non-WSU fans? Honest question.
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball