Marshall

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Marshall

Postby Wufan » March 8th, 2017, 12:21 pm

BirdsEyeView wrote:
Blers wrote:Wichita's roster is stacked. No matter what it's going to be really hard for them to win a national title though. It's hard for any team to do it, and they came really close a few years back but so much goes into that, it's a perfect storm, one out of 351. I'd love to see them do it while in the valley, that'd be pretty awesome but i definitely think they need to be out of the conference (and in a top 6 conference) before it can happen. Just so they can prove they're battle tested for a full season.

I find a lot of conflicting opinions regarding what Marshall would want "why stay when we're so much better than the rest of the conference? They're dragging us down!" (I actually agree, but i think a lot of that has to do with available resources + obviously Marshall. WSU doesn't have an MVC budget, it has double that based on numbers i could find. For LU's part I know there were plans to invest heavily until state funding fell through and the university chose to honor MAP grants that would have been taken away from students otherwise)

But then there is a counterpoint from other fans of "I don't know if Greg want's the pressure and competition of those big conference jobs, why leave a good thing?" It's interesting. I guess best case scenario for both parties is the AAC. I really don't think Marshall ever leaves, especially if he plans on retiring relatively soon (I kind of doubt it but what do i know). If i'm Indiana though, i'd propose a mega-deal for him and only him first; he's a damn good coach.

Problem is the AAC is about #7 in conference rankings, which is an upgrade, but not top 5. Could WSU leave for AAC and then a real high level P5 school call Marshall for their job opening and he still leaves?
It's like getting asked out by the pretty hot chick (AAC) and saying "see ya" to the average girl (MVC)....only to eventually end up with the hottest girl in school (ACC type top school)

The addition of WSU in its current state to the AAC along with traditional powerhouses of UConn, Cinci, and those with potential to get back as powerhouses; Tulsa, Memphis, Houston, Temple, and currently high SMU would make the AAC a top 5 conference...potentially.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Cdizzle » March 8th, 2017, 12:21 pm

BirdsEyeView wrote:
Blers wrote:Wichita's roster is stacked. No matter what it's going to be really hard for them to win a national title though. It's hard for any team to do it, and they came really close a few years back but so much goes into that, it's a perfect storm, one out of 351. I'd love to see them do it while in the valley, that'd be pretty awesome but i definitely think they need to be out of the conference (and in a top 6 conference) before it can happen. Just so they can prove they're battle tested for a full season.

I find a lot of conflicting opinions regarding what Marshall would want "why stay when we're so much better than the rest of the conference? They're dragging us down!" (I actually agree, but i think a lot of that has to do with available resources + obviously Marshall. WSU doesn't have an MVC budget, it has double that based on numbers i could find. For LU's part I know there were plans to invest heavily until state funding fell through and the university chose to honor MAP grants that would have been taken away from students otherwise)

But then there is a counterpoint from other fans of "I don't know if Greg want's the pressure and competition of those big conference jobs, why leave a good thing?" It's interesting. I guess best case scenario for both parties is the AAC. I really don't think Marshall ever leaves, especially if he plans on retiring relatively soon (I kind of doubt it but what do i know). If i'm Indiana though, i'd propose a mega-deal for him and only him first; he's a damn good coach.

Problem is the AAC is about #7 in conference rankings, which is an upgrade, but not top 5. Could WSU leave for AAC and then a real high level P5 school call Marshall for their job opening and he still leaves?
It's like getting asked out by the pretty hot chick (AAC) and saying "see ya" to the average girl (MVC)....only to eventually end up with the hottest girl in school (ACC type top school)

I feel to see how this is a negative for WSU?
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby TheObserver » March 8th, 2017, 12:23 pm

Cdizzle wrote:Figured out the Evansville problem. Nobody cares they suck because they are actually Indiana fans.

Classic.

:lol:
TheObserver
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby TheObserver » March 8th, 2017, 12:26 pm

acepurple84 wrote:For hose thinking Indiana will be after Marshall might be off base. Indiana fans want Brad Stevens form the Celts and Butler before that. Marshall would be their 2nd pick and I do not think Marshall would accept that. And I don't blame him.

:+1:

There's a few other reasons that a move now wouldn't make sense, but that would also be one of them.
TheObserver
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Blers » March 8th, 2017, 12:42 pm

This is a different discussion, but why do people think Stevens would leave Boston...?

And in regards to the AAC being ranked 7th in conference I understand that but it's worth noting that it gets more at large bids and it's teams make it deeper in the tournament. UConn has proven teams from the conference can win it all, SMU is a force right now, Cincinnati has made runs, Memphis is a respectable program with potential... most of the schools have a name brand. I don't think Wichita rolls 17-1 in that conference if they were to play there this season, i think they definitely finish in the top 3, but they'd probably be a stronger team at this point in the season based on their competition levels, and wouldn't have to worry if they got bounced in the semi's of the conference tournament.

It'd also probably help re-balance the valley in the long term; i have mixed feelings on that but it's true. At this point it's really hard for any school to keep up with them year in year out. There are good programs in the valley right now, but they're good solid mid majors. It's been said a million times but WSU isn't a mid major and hasn't been for a while now.
Blers
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Aces1982 » March 8th, 2017, 12:47 pm

Blers wrote:This is a different discussion, but why do people think Stevens would leave Boston...?

And in regards to the AAC being ranked 7th in conference I understand that but it's worth noting that it gets more at large bids and it's teams make it deeper in the tournament. UConn has proven teams from the conference can win it all, SMU is a force right now, Cincinnati has made runs, Memphis is a respectable program with potential... most of the schools have a name brand. I don't think Wichita rolls 17-1 in that conference if they were to play there this season, i think they definitely finish in the top 3, but they'd probably be a stronger team at this point in the season based on their competition levels, and wouldn't have to worry if they got bounced in the semi's of the conference tournament.

It'd also probably help re-balance the valley in the long term; i have mixed feelings on that but it's true. At this point it's really hard for any school to keep up with them year in year out. There are good programs in the valley right now, but they're good solid mid majors. It's been said a million times but WSU isn't a mid major and hasn't been for a while now.

Stevens isn't mentioned because he isn't leaving Boston. Stevens was mentioned before Crean was hired.
Aces1982
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Cdizzle » March 8th, 2017, 12:50 pm

Blers wrote:There are good programs in the valley right now

Name 2.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Aces1982 » March 8th, 2017, 1:08 pm

Cdizzle wrote:

Name 2.

I know some don't want to give UNI credit but....

Since 2000
7 NCAA appearances
1 S16
2 MVC regular season champ
5 MVC tournament champ

I would say UNI is a good program
Aces1982
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Cdizzle » March 8th, 2017, 1:12 pm

Aces1982 wrote:
Cdizzle wrote:

Name 2.

I know some don't want to give UNI credit but....

Since 2000
7 NCAA appearances
1 S16
2 MVC regular season champ
5 MVC tournament champ

I would say UNI is a good program

Let's say we all agree that UNI is a good program 'right now.' I'd call that a stretch, but let's say we all agree to it.

That's 1.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Aces1982 » March 8th, 2017, 1:15 pm

And Illinois St has won 18 games 9 of the last 10 years. They have not had any NCAA appearances but still a good mid major program.
Aces1982
All MVC
All MVC

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball