Bradley transfers

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Bradley transfers

Postby squirrel » March 8th, 2017, 3:19 pm

4 players have been granted releases from the program this week:

Announced March 6
Alex Foster (Senior with 1 year of eligibility remaining)
Jerome Merritt (redshirted this year)
Lou Griffith (frosh walk-on, redshirted this year)

Announced March 8
Ronnie Suggs (sophomore guard)

The Braves have already been over-committed by 2. With Suggs news coming today, they currently have 1 to give.
squirrel
All MVC
All MVC

Bradley transfers

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Bradley transfers

Postby chitown fanatic » March 8th, 2017, 3:48 pm

Now if we can just get Barker to be homesick......
chitown fanatic
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Blers » March 8th, 2017, 4:02 pm

chitown fanatic wrote:Now if we can just get Barker to be homesick......

Barker seemed like he had some potential when i saw him play as a freshmen, what's the story on him?
Blers
All MVC
All MVC

Postby squirrel » March 8th, 2017, 4:10 pm

There's nothing wrong with Barker. That said, he's a bit of a project in the paint. Some fans feel the scholarship is better spent on trying to bring in an immediate-impact guy. I tend to think that's easier said than done.

But I'm in the camp that feels he's a serviceable big...he could probably put 7 and 5 up in the post if we needed him to, if we have injury problems. I look at him as an insurance policy in the frontcourt, while others view him as wasted space if he's not a threat to see the floor.

I tend to think the latter view is a bit short-sighted, because the same people who want the scholarship to recruit from will be the first to complain about the level of recruitment, or want 3 or 4 of the same types of stretch 4 players, and some of those guys aren't going to see the floor, either because you want 6-7 players at the same generally non-skill-set-specific positions.

Some also think he lacks toughness, which is ridiculous, because he should a bit of fire last year, and his background is in Aussie Rules Football.

But that's where you'll see the different Bradley fans opinions on Barker.
squirrel
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Bradleyfan1 » March 8th, 2017, 9:30 pm

squirrel wrote:There's nothing wrong with Barker. That said, he's a bit of a project in the paint. Some fans feel the scholarship is better spent on trying to bring in an immediate-impact guy. I tend to think that's easier said than done.

But I'm in the camp that feels he's a serviceable big...he could probably put 7 and 5 up in the post if we needed him to, if we have injury problems. I look at him as an insurance policy in the frontcourt, while others view him as wasted space if he's not a threat to see the floor.

I tend to think the latter view is a bit short-sighted, because the same people who want the scholarship to recruit from will be the first to complain about the level of recruitment, or want 3 or 4 of the same types of stretch 4 players, and some of those guys aren't going to see the floor, either because you want 6-7 players at the same generally non-skill-set-specific positions.

Some also think he lacks toughness, which is ridiculous, because he should a bit of fire last year, and his background is in Aussie Rules Football.

:+1: I think Barker has a couple nice seasons in him. Keep grinding Callum.

But that's where you'll see the different Bradley fans opinions on Barker.
Bradleyfan1
All MVC
All MVC

Postby chitown fanatic » March 9th, 2017, 2:45 pm

yes, very different on stone hands barker. there wasn't a post pass he couldn't drop all year long. Hes slow and bad and yes, a waste of space who wont get much better next year. If he avg's 7 points ever in his career, I'll buy your beer at Scottrade squirrel. We're better off with a JUCO wing like Boogie...they exist...go get them
chitown fanatic
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Bradleyfan1 » March 9th, 2017, 10:01 pm

Bahahahaha
Don't take away from Mr. Wright . You don't just go get players like that. Huge hands , long reach, jump out of the gym. Absolute stud! Hey Wardle grab me a Zach Andrews while your at it.

Now far as reality goes . I hope for maybe Vance Johnson.

I think Barkers poised for a nice Jr and Sr season. He's gonna work his tail off, He's a solid free throw shooter. Decent build to work with.
Bradleyfan1
All MVC
All MVC

Postby squirrel » March 10th, 2017, 5:42 am

Yes, Barker has struggled catching passes, but a large part of that was poor PG play last year...too many uncatchable passes, and this year, early on, the team was wanting to play a very fast uptempo style, and the game seemed just a little too quick for him. Despite that, he had a solid game off the bench against George Mason in our holiday tourney. He also only had 4 turnovers after Christmas (yes, it is in extremely limited minutes.)
squirrel
All MVC
All MVC

Postby BradleyFan71 » March 11th, 2017, 3:36 pm

Bradleyfan1 wrote:I think Barkers poised for a nice Jr and Sr season. He's gonna work his tail off, He's a solid free throw shooter. Decent build to work with.

I hope all of the Bradley players work their tails off! Barker is a career 64% from the free throw line. Not exactly my definition of "solid".
BradleyFan71
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby tribecalledquest » March 11th, 2017, 10:01 pm

BradleyFan71 wrote:
Bradleyfan1 wrote:I think Barkers poised for a nice Jr and Sr season. He's gonna work his tail off, He's a solid free throw shooter. Decent build to work with.

I hope all of the Bradley players work their tails off! Barker is a career 64% from the free throw line. Not exactly my definition of "solid".

So of all the things you point to Barker's career FT%??
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Next

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball