Sounds like Wichita St to the AAC... Who gets an Invite?

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Sounds like Wichita St to the AAC... Who gets an Invite?

Postby SMUfan » April 12th, 2017, 3:57 pm

Maybe part of the holdup is finding out which school could join right away.

Murray State would have to wait until 2018-2019 because they are committed to their football schedule.

MVC may be trying to find out who can join for 2017-2018. So a guess would be one school added for 2017-2018 and 2 schools for 2018-2019.
SMUfan
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Drakey » April 12th, 2017, 4:11 pm

Is there some reason we can't play 20 or 22 conference games?
Drakey
All MVC
All MVC

Postby musiccitybulldog » April 12th, 2017, 5:18 pm

Last edited by musiccitybulldog on April 12th, 2017, 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
musiccitybulldog
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby uniftw » April 12th, 2017, 5:19 pm

SMUfan wrote:Maybe part of the holdup is finding out which school could join right away.

Murray State would have to wait until 2018-2019 because they are committed to their football schedule.

MVC may be trying to find out who can join for 2017-2018. So a guess would be one school added for 2017-2018 and 2 schools for 2018-2019.

Football has nothing to do with it. OVC would make them ineligible for conference title and let them play. See every fcs school that's ever gone FBS.

The issue is the one million dollar OVC buy out.

It concerns me that our best options can't afford their buy out of only a million
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby uniftw » April 12th, 2017, 5:22 pm

Drakey wrote:Is there some reason we can't play 20 or 22 conference games?

Not entirely but 22 is far to many. Add in 4 MTE games and you have only 4 OOC games. Oh and the MWC/MVC deal, which likely does soon. So three OOC games.

UNI and Drake have the Big 4. So 2 OOC games.

UNI is locked into a few series.

To play more than 18 conference games this year.

20 would be feasible, but that is the absolute max.
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Rogers101 » April 12th, 2017, 5:27 pm

I'm against more than 18 conference games. We need to beat up other conferences. Conference games force us to beat ourselves. We need to schedule better whether that means more road games. Let's get that rpi up.
Rogers101
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby SMUfan » April 12th, 2017, 8:45 pm

uniftw wrote:
SMUfan wrote:Maybe part of the holdup is finding out which school could join right away.

Football has nothing to do with it. OVC would make them ineligible for conference title and let them play. See every fcs school that's ever gone FBS.

The issue is the one million dollar OVC buy out.

It concerns me that our best options can't afford their buy out of only a million

How do you know Murray can't afford the buy out?
SMUfan
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby Drakey » April 12th, 2017, 8:52 pm

Rogers101 wrote:I'm against more than 18 conference games. We need to beat up other conferences. Conference games force us to beat ourselves. We need to schedule better whether that means more road games. Let's get that rpi up.
We can't get games. Everybody other than the FBS and Big East are in a position of having nobody to play. I'm guessing the extra conference games would be against better teams than most can schedule. If we only had to come up with 7 games, we could probably schedule a couple on the road against the big conference teams and keep our RPI's up, if that even matters anymore.
Drakey
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Murraygrad05 » April 12th, 2017, 9:04 pm

uniftw wrote:It concerns me that our best options can't afford their buy out of only a million

This is not the problem we are having. That is the least of our worries.

What I have kinda heard and am guessing at so don't rely too much on this but we are trying to figure out what to do with football and we also have rifle. Our rifle team has won the NCAA championship and is ranked in the top 3 nationally year in and year out. I'm personally hoping that we can keep that as an affiliate member with the OVC since it is so successful. Does not draw any crowds or anything but it gives us some name brand with that sport.

Like I said though I have no affiliation with the university or anything. That is just the word going around but it makes sense. Nobody knows but our administration what we may be looking at.
Murraygrad05
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby SMUfan » April 12th, 2017, 9:10 pm

Murraygrad05 wrote:
uniftw wrote:It concerns me that our best options can't afford their buy out of only a million

This is not the problem we are having. That is the least of our worries.

What I have kinda heard and am guessing at so don't rely too much on this but we are trying to figure out what to do with football and we also have rifle. Our rifle team has won the NCAA championship and is ranked in the top 3 nationally year in and year out. I'm personally hoping that we can keep that as an affiliate member with the OVC since it is so successful. Does not draw any crowds or anything but it gives us some name brand with that sport.

Like I said though I have no affiliation with the university or anything. That is just the word going around but it makes sense. Nobody knows but our administration what we may be looking at.

Any chance Murray would drop football?
SMUfan
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball