Sounds like Wichita St to the AAC... Who gets an Invite?

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Sounds like Wichita St to the AAC... Who gets an Invite?

Postby TheAsianSensation » March 21st, 2017, 12:29 pm

Regarding the Summit, the NCAA removed the continuity rule for conferences. So if the XDSUs left, they'd have:

South Dakota (2011)
Omaha (2012)
Fort Wayne
IUPUI
Denver (2013)
Western Illinois
Oral Bob (2014)
North Dakota (2018)

Tight, and they may need to kerjigger the sports each school offers, but I think they can get by. They'd probably try to poach New Mexico St, Utah Valley, and even Grand Canyon if possible, or even a full-blown merger with the WAC just to survive if it got dicier. I suppose they could always ask UMKC to come back, and threaten them by taking their conference mates instead.
http://bracketball.blogspot.com/ A national version of the world-famous TAS Bracketology. Spread the word
TheAsianSensation
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Redhawk » March 21st, 2017, 12:32 pm

Cdizzle wrote:The MVC isn't a BIG pond right now. It's a small pond with WSU. It's a puddle if WSU leaves.

That's cute Cdizzle!

Trying to make point that a conference of Larger State Universities and Smaller Privates
is destined to fail because they are not peer institutions grouped together for mutual sucess.
If you are familiar with the famous MidMajority Redline essay about college athletic budgets it was determined that a High Major spent over 40 Mil, Mid-Major 25 Mil and anything under was just a Major.

In the current MVC only WSU, ISUr and MSU exceed 25 mil in athletic revenues. UNI and SIU are both close to that level though. ISUb is around 15 Mil and Privates are all range from 10-13 Mil. Therefore there are 5 public state universities in the Valley that spend almost double what the Privates do and it shows in the MVC All Sports Trophy standings. The XDSU's (both above 22 Mil) are so much more attractive additions because they will lift the boat of all sports programs by making the pond (or puddle if you prefer) bigger.

If we keep adding schools like Valpo (12 Mil) and Belmont (10 Mil) they might as well change the league name to HWC...Horizon West Conference!
Redhawk
All MVC
All MVC

Postby uniftw » March 21st, 2017, 12:34 pm

TheAsianSensation wrote:Regarding the Summit, the NCAA removed the continuity rule for conferences. So if the XDSUs left, they'd have:

South Dakota (2011)
Omaha (2012)
Fort Wayne
IUPUI
Denver (2013)
Western Illinois
Oral Bob (2014)
North Dakota (2018)

Tight, and they may need to kerjigger the sports each school offers, but I think they can get by. They'd probably try to poach New Mexico St, Utah Valley, and even Grand Canyon if possible, or even a full-blown merger with the WAC just to survive if it got dicier. I suppose they could always ask UMKC to come back, and threaten them by taking their conference mates instead.

I would bet IPFW and IUPUI would make a push for Horizon at that point. Especially if a push for WAC schools happened.
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby uniftw » March 21st, 2017, 12:38 pm

Hell, fight like hell to keep WSU and add 2 of NMSU, UALR, Valpo, Belmont, SDSU, NDSU
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Redbirds4Life » March 21st, 2017, 12:41 pm

Whether WSU leaves or not, which I believe they will at some point make the jump....but if I am UNI and ISU, just join the MAC. You are essentially in a one-bid league with the MVC and at least you have an opportunity to have Division 1 football....
Redbirds4Life
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Redhawk » March 21st, 2017, 12:48 pm

Redbirds4Life wrote:....but if I am UNI and ISU, just join the MAC.

You make it sound so easy!
Redhawk
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Redbirds4Life » March 21st, 2017, 12:58 pm

Redhawk wrote:
Redbirds4Life wrote:....but if I am UNI and ISU, just join the MAC.

You make it sound so easy!

I'm sure it isn't, but if I am ISU/UNI, I am being proactive about this. Screw waiting on Wichita State to leave....get proactive, find a new home, and move on. Even if Wichita State stays, the MVC doesn't look good long-term.

For the discussion of replacing Wichita State....if you lose them, and replace them with Murray State/Belmont/Dakotas of the world....not much there to be excited about.
Redbirds4Life
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Cdizzle » March 21st, 2017, 12:59 pm

uniftw wrote:Hell, fight like hell to keep WSU and add 2 of NMSU, UALR, Valpo, Belmont, SDSU, NDSU

To replace whom?

The major problem isn't which schools to add, though that isn't a great situation by any stretch.

The major problem is all the dead-weight already in the league.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby All-MVC Fan » March 21st, 2017, 1:02 pm

Cdizzle wrote:If the Valley is scared because the opportunity to scoop up UMKC might pass them by...well...I think that just about sums it up.

Yep. My thoughts exactly...smdh... :huh:
All-MVC Fan
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby BirdsEyeView » March 21st, 2017, 1:08 pm

Cdizzle wrote:If the Valley is scared because the opportunity to scoop up UMKC might pass them by...well...I think that just about sums it up.

So one person (with 3 lifetime posts on this site) constitutes the Valley as whole and their entire mindset for a replacement? That replacement being UMKC...

Yeah okay. Keep drinking :buddies:

Perhaps this guy has an agenda?
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball