Sounds like Wichita St to the AAC... Who gets an Invite?

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Sounds like Wichita St to the AAC... Who gets an Invite?

Postby SubGod22 » March 25th, 2017, 11:28 am

DoubleJayAlum wrote:
SubGod22 wrote:
DoubleJayAlum wrote:Hello guys - long time, no see!

I came back to read up on WSU's potential move and to see if Drake was going to hire our assistant as their new HC.

I have a question on the whole WSU to the AAC --- MONEY!!!

Anyone have any idea how much of the TV money WSU would receive if they made the move? The AAc's TV contract is for football and basketball. We all know that football is more valuable to TV networks than hoops (which sucks!). I suspect that the AAC contract doesn't divide out the monies to say x% is for football and y% is for basketball, so it probably isn't as simple as saying that WSU gets one full share of the basketball money.

As a result, 1) what percentage of a full share do we think WSU would be likely to get and 2) what is fair for them to ask for? Also, does WSU get a full share of the NCAA tourney credits earned and banked to date or only an equal share for all units earned AFTER they join. If there is a hold up in taking WSU, I suspect these are the issues that would cause the holdup. Thoughts?

The working theory is that Wichita would get around 30% of a share of the TV money. I believe that is about what the Big East had before it split. I believe that would be around $600k under their current deal. Which is definitely better than what we get from the MVC.

I don't have anything for the second part of your question. Personally, I'm fine with whatever they'd decide as the future is what's important and if we have to sacrifice a few things early so be it. And considering the run that next years team will be capable of, I'd prefer to be in the AAC next year so we don't leave behind what could be generated there. I also believe the AAC has a more favorable distribution of credits earned than the MVC does so that would be nice.

Thanks Sub.

If 30% is the magic number, does WSU expect to start getting 30% from day 1? Would WSU be willing to wait to get any payout until the current TV contract expires and is replaced with a new one? I could be wrong, but I don't see ESPN, especially in the present environment where they are hemorrhaging cash and tanking Disney's stock value, agreeing to pay more in the middle of a contract period for a non-football addition. It may also be a stretch to believe the other conference schools will be willing to give up a portion of the monies they are currently due (budgets have already been established counting on that money).

I could be totally wrong, but I would think that if a move were to happen, it wouldn't be until a new contract is set to start so the current conference members do not have to literally give up money to add another school (unless, of course, WSU agrees to accept zero dollars until the current contract expires, which would seemingly be pretty unlikely because they wouldn't be getting MVC NCAA tourney units distributed during that period either...)

From what I've gathered talking to AAC fans, adding us into the current distribution wouldn't take much away from the others. It also wouldn't be 600k for us. Many fans feel that our addition could potentially add more than what they'd lose, in NCAA tourney credits. Both ours, and potentially the extra team or two that might be able to get in with an increased RPI and SOS by being able to play us twice and maybe some of the weaker teams less.

They're also close to the end of the TV deal with ESPN. Their commish is a former TV guy, but who knows how much that really means. He understands the business though. I've heard that Navy has had an independent deal for their football that is supposed to roll into the AAC in the next year or two, and the thinking is that pairing that with an addition of Wichita could help lead to an early renegotiation and a modest boost in payouts. Some seem to think that ESPN will want to keep the AAC from hitting the open market where content could go up more than they want if Fox or CBS or another wants to get in on it for additional content. The AAC is also home to UConn women's basketball which does attract viewership as well. I have no idea how that works, but I've seen multiple fans, inside and outside of the AAC, that believe that when a new deal is worked out with ESPN, that each share would end up around 5M per school. Which would be 1.5M for Wichita based on the 30% figures. That's all fan talk but some of those guys follow this stuff way too much. The AAC is a solid football conference and I believe has consistently been the best of the non power conferences the past few years. That may carry some weight. And while their basketball was down this year, they'd still be home to Memphis, UConn, Cinci, SMU and Temple which you'd think would typically be pretty strong. Jury may still be out on SMU. But you add in a Wichita to go with the potential of a Houston and Tulsa. Tulane and UCF have made strong basketball hires recently so who knows if they really improve or not. The content provided by the conference is fairly strong.

I would guess that we wouldn't get credit payouts for anything earned before our addition. I'm fine with that as I'm looking down the road and the payoff is much greater than a handful of credits we'd be leaving behind. I just hope this gets done and the sooner the better. And as someone else said, hanging around another year in the MVC, should we get the invite, doesn't do anyone much good, other than the potential credits we would earn next year. And I don't know what the AAC wouldn't want those in hand considering I believe Wichita will be one of the favorites to make a deep run.
www.wheatshockers.com

Government does not solve problems; it subsidizes them.

The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help.

Unemployment insurance is a prepaid vacation for freeloaders.
SubGod22
All MVC
All MVC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby glm38 » March 25th, 2017, 11:33 am

I thought I read somewhere if the WSU to AAC move happens it would happen next year in 2018/19 and not this coming season? I could be mistaken though.
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Ali » March 25th, 2017, 11:52 am

glm38 wrote:I thought I read somewhere if the WSU to AAC move happens it would happen next year in 2018/19 and not this coming season? I could be mistaken though.

Every day that passes makes it less likely to take effect in 2017-18. Plus, moving for the coming year would put the MVC in a bad place trying to fill the spot on little to no notice.
Ali
All MVC
All MVC

Postby SubGod22 » March 25th, 2017, 12:23 pm

glm38 wrote:I thought I read somewhere if the WSU to AAC move happens it would happen next year in 2018/19 and not this coming season? I could be mistaken though.

That's what Katz said in his piece. I believe I've seen posted elsewhere that there have been schools that announced as late as May that they were leaving and it took place the following season.

Shocker fans want it to happen next year. We have a team that could win the AAC and that would do more for us in regards to seeding and recruiting than steamrolling the MVC again.
www.wheatshockers.com

Government does not solve problems; it subsidizes them.

The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help.

Unemployment insurance is a prepaid vacation for freeloaders.
SubGod22
All MVC
All MVC

Postby municup14 » March 25th, 2017, 1:05 pm

My opinion is if they are accepting an invite to the new conference
Then they are done next year in the valley.No this is our last year.
Or make them ineligible for the MVC tournament
municup14
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby SHOX1MVC » March 25th, 2017, 2:31 pm

municup14 wrote:My opinion is if they are accepting an invite to the new conference

It's the second time you have made this comment in this thread. A classless conference would do what you suggest. Sounds like you are for it, huh?
SHOX1MVC
MVC Walk On
MVC Walk On

Postby Wufan » March 25th, 2017, 4:36 pm

Ali wrote:

Every day that passes makes it less likely to take effect in 2017-18. Plus, moving for the coming year would put the MVC in a bad place trying to fill the spot on little to no notice.

Really? I guess that's true in that every day that something doesn't happen means that you missed an opportunity. I don't think it matters much until after the spring meetings, then the likelihood changes.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Stickboy46 » March 25th, 2017, 5:20 pm

municup14 wrote:My opinion is if they are accepting an invite to the new conference

I'm sure there are legal obligations. If the MVC wants to break the established contract they could. It would leave them open to losing all the NCAA credits associated with WSU though.
Stickboy46
All MVC
All MVC

Postby uniftw » March 25th, 2017, 6:10 pm

FWIW when ODU and Georgia State announced they were leaving the CAA they were immediately ineligible for the conference titles even though they had a year plus left in the conference. They were still included in the conference schedules but they weren't counted towards conference standings.

The same thing happened to App State and Georgia Southern when they left the SoCon for the Sun Belt.

Coastal Carolina went through it with their move to the Sun belt from the Big South. CCU won the college World Series for the Big South less than 24 hours before they joined the Sun Belt officially. Hey weren't eligible for the Big South title.

Liberty is now ineligible for any conference titles for the Big South as they announced they are leaving.

It's actually pretty SOP across the board.
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Wufan » March 25th, 2017, 6:13 pm

uniftw wrote:FWIW when ODU and Georgia State announced they were leaving the CAA they were immediately ineligible for the conference titles even though they had a year plus left in the conference. They were still included in the conference schedules but they weren't counted towards conference standings.

The same thing happened to App State and Georgia Southern when they left the SoCon for the Sun Belt.

Coastal Carolina went through it with their move to the Sun belt from the Big South. CCU won the college World Series for the Big South less than 24 hours before they joined the Sun Belt officially. Hey weren't eligible for the Big South title.

Liberty is now ineligible for any conference titles for the Big South as they announced they are leaving.

It's actually pretty SOP across the board.

I knew this had happened in the past. I'm curious though if making a team ineligible from the conference tourney would be reciprocated with a loss of NCAA shares.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball